Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

FL Need assistance please??? Sale of vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 07:09 AM
meazy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need assistance please??? Sale of vehicle...

Anyone with prior experience... yout input will be greatly appreciated... Has anyone one sold a car to someone else in another state??? How did you go about the transaction...(whats the safest way to make the buyer and seller feel comfortable in the transaction???) Reason being I keep running into the situation where they want me to send car first... (lol) or send me a check... or money order... Ive been told by many banks that all of these things can be boogas... or even cancelled. I need to figure out a way to get the $$$ and the buyer get his new car guaranteed!!! Please help...
Old 07-31-09, 08:50 AM
z_life
Driver School Candidate

never send a car with money in hand. There are lots of scammers out there so be careful.
Old 07-31-09, 09:57 AM
2JZGTE-SC
Pole Position

scammers are very obvious by their emails, you can tell, usually use yahoo, or gmail...poor spelling in their emails, some odd story about an overpayment error made by their bank..please send balance to my shipper..etc...lol...ive experienced this hundreds of times while selling cars, i always **** with them since they're wasting my time, so i waste theirs and they keep on sending me bogus checks via fedex, ups...

I'd take a cashiers check and wait 2 weeks before shipping the car..otherwise tell the dude he needs to pick it up in person and pay cash, otherwise you will just move along and sell the car to the next person who wants it. if hes serious and legit he will pick it up in person.
Old 07-31-09, 11:48 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

certified checks from bank works, great i sold my MDX, the guys was from philly he came with a certified check, i verified the funds(calling the bank) i deposited the check and i had the money next day 7am in my account. (insist a certifed check from a major bank). If they are really far away they can always mail you or just do a wire transfer. But i think certified checks /cash best way to go.

Originally Posted by meazy
Anyone with prior experience... yout input will be greatly appreciated... Has anyone one sold a car to someone else in another state??? How did you go about the transaction...(whats the safest way to make the buyer and seller feel comfortable in the transaction???) Reason being I keep running into the situation where they want me to send car first... (lol) or send me a check... or money order... Ive been told by many banks that all of these things can be boogas... or even cancelled. I need to figure out a way to get the $$$ and the buyer get his new car guaranteed!!! Please help...
Old 07-31-09, 01:00 PM
meazy
Driver

Thankyou all for the info...
Old 07-31-09, 01:27 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Meazy I bought my car from someone in Cali.. It was differnt i guess though cause they where a long time Club lexus user and had alot of vouches but, i initially sent them a deposit through paypal, then i mailed them a certified letter with a Bank of America certified check for the total i owed. They sent me the title to the car and i had a auto transporter/shipper pick the car up from the owner and bring it to me..

definetly be careful online though alot of scamming on Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader people wanting to send you checks for more then the amount and stuff..

Just wait till you have the money cleared and in hand before you ship the car or anything..
Old 07-31-09, 02:03 PM
meazy
Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
Hey Meazy I bought my car from someone in Cali.. It was differnt i guess though cause they where a long time Club lexus user and had alot of vouches but, i initially sent them a deposit through paypal, then i mailed them a certified letter with a Bank of America certified check for the total i owed. They sent me the title to the car and i had a auto transporter/shipper pick the car up from the owner and bring it to me..

definetly be careful online though alot of scamming on Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader people wanting to send you checks for more then the amount and stuff..

Just wait till you have the money cleared and in hand before you ship the car or anything..
That is exactly the case with me now... It is a club lexus user very longtime member and he is in cali while im down in florida... I guess we are both a little shady on the transaction. you could have easily disputed that payment thru paypal if you wanted... which you didnt... cuz obviously you wanted the car but you see what i'm getting at...
Old 07-31-09, 03:54 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

That is exactly the case with me now... It is a club lexus user very longtime member and he is in cali while im down in florida... I guess we are both a little shady on the transaction. you could have easily disputed that payment thru paypal if you wanted... which you didnt... cuz obviously you wanted the car but you see what i'm getting at...
Thought you wasnt selling the car man. Oh well ill just have to do a little fast and furious on the transport truck.
Old 07-31-09, 06:05 PM
csq860
Pole Position

You could always use one of those escrow places, they hold the money until the parties are satisfied with the sale. It'll cost you of course but it might be worth it for the peace of mind, especially if buyer and seller split the costs. Be careful tho, there seem to be lots of escrow scammers out there, be sure you use a reputable place, escrow.com is rated pretty good from what I've seen.
Old 07-31-09, 06:05 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah man i mean i was honestly a little nervous sending out all that money, if the guy was trying to rip me off he could have easily made the whole thing a nightmare for me.

He was a pretty straight up guy though thankfully, even though the car wasn't in as good as condition as i was hoping, i thought i could use my extra money to do a motor swap and ended up spending it on odds and ends and things to make the car work and look like new.

goodluck though man, someone is gonna have to trust someone, and you can best believe i wouldn't send a car out without having cash in hand lol. He's either gonna have to trust you and send the money, or figure out a way where he can give you the money in person..

He shouldn't expect you to send the car without full payment.
Old 07-31-09, 08:31 PM
meazy
Driver

Originally Posted by japspec
Thought you wasnt selling the car man. Oh well ill just have to do a little fast and furious on the transport truck.
I really dont want to... matter of fact if I find some nice wheels at a decent price... Im def not selling!!! What do you have laying around???
Old 07-31-09, 09:14 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I really dont want to... matter of fact if I find some nice wheels at a decent price... Im def not selling!!! What do you have laying around???
I told you i would sell you my ssr sp1 rims 19x9 front and 19x10 rear. You would end up keeping your car and I would just boost my car. Hit on pm if your interested.