LFA Model (2012)

LF-A Update...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05 | 06:23 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
The NSX has recieved updates through its life cycle. In 1998 they enlarged the engine from 3 to 3.2 liters and boosted horsepower to 290. They also added a 6 speed manual and different rims etc. This change was very expensive on a car that Honda looses money on every one sold at full price. Recently the NSX has been updated with non fold up lights and some aerodynamic enhancements to give it a greater top speed. I am not a fan of the new lights. The car has had more variations in Japan with lightweight NSX-R models using carbon fibre,stiffer suspensions and higher tuned engines but unfortunately we did not get these. I do not think too many people were complaining about the style of the NSX so they left it mainly unchanged. I find it to be one of the nicest looking cars even today and any drastic change would probrably be for the worse. Performance wise the NSX did not need a huge horsepower boost as it was getting 0-60 in 4.5-4.8 seconds and outhandling most cars that challenged it but it was still pretty expensive and its competition was putting out higher numbers towards the end. If Honda does do another NSX I hope they will use a new v-8, v-10, or turbo engine to keep this car ahead of the competition but who knows.

Yes I know v-8 can be exotic mainly when used in mid engine designs but there are too many cars with v-8s up front that it just would not be anything significant or special if Lexus chose a v-8. Mustangs,Camaros, Firebirds, really all muscle cars from 60s and 70s, SC430s, GTO, SL500, etc. all front engined rear drive v-8 coupes.

I believe that everyone here appreciates cars from different makes but I understand most prefer or are interested in Lexus vehicles. Hondas, Acuras, Nissan, and Infiniti seem to get critisized alot by some as not being worthy alternatives or competition to Lexus and to a lesser degree Toyota and some people do get a little tired of seeing it. I do look forward to owning a Lexus GS but I have been very pleased with Hondas/Acuras and just would like to try a different car and brand. People on Honda/Acura/Infiniti sites say things they don't like and would like to see change about their preferred brand of cars but their are also the fan boys who only like their brand and think everything else is crap. Acura and Infiniti make very good cars as well as Lexus, they all go about their cars in slightly different ways but are all known for being generally more reliable and priced less then most European competition so all these brands will most likely cross on our lists of possible cars.
Acura definetly can't compete with Lexus. They don't have cars that are in half ours' classes.
Infiniti is defintely getting there but since I like Lexus I'd buy a Lexus if they were dead even.
Old 05-27-05 | 06:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, are you guy's still getting a blank page? I just checked the link again and it still works for me. I listend to all the points again (For those who haven't been able to see the link, it is of the LF-A car and there are clickable points for the engine, interior and other significant points on the car that brings up a video with an explanation) and they didn't mentio anything about the actual engine. Only that it is capale of producing over 500 HP from less than 5 liters. While they don't mentioned what type of engine, 500+ HP from less than 5 liters sounds like a V10 to me. Although it is stil unconfirmed I think.
Old 05-27-05 | 07:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Acura definetly can't compete with Lexus. They don't have cars that are in half ours' classes.
Infiniti is defintely getting there but since I like Lexus I'd buy a Lexus if they were dead even.
I don't think you research your cars to make a statement like that. TL competes with ES and wins by most standards like performance and standard equiptment. The new RL competes very well with the new GS and generally comes out on top of GS300 RWD and AWD with power, performance, handling, and standard features. Its v-6 makes as much horsepower as the v-8 but it does not beat it in torque. The MDX is a very worthy competitor to the RX330. TSX may be a 4 cylinder and front wheel drive but it is a worthy competitor to the current IS300. It is similiar in size and power and It handles extremely well with a perfect 6 speed manual and comes at a very attractive price. Acuras have extremely high quality interiors and are very well built and reliable just like Lexus. NSX did not really have a Lexus or Infiniti competitor being a $90,000.00 mid-engine car and getting sub 5 sec 0-60 times but it is still a legendary car and will probrably be compared to the LFA by many. Infiniti is getting much better with the FX, G, and new M but the old fwd RL sold more cars every month then the rwd 340 hp v-8 Q45 and previous M45 combined. It is not just me that is saying this but look at the road tests in car magazines. The new RL the TL, TSX, and MDX have done extremely well against the competition. Yes Acura may not have a competitor for the LS430 or Q45 yet because they have not focused on large sedans nor do they have a v-8 for the market at this time. You can say the same why Lexus has not had an NSX competitor as they are not focused on that market yet