LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 07:06 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The Lexus LF-A is a Mistake

By Robert Farago

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...-is-a-mistake/

The fastest way to kill an automotive brand: sell a POS. The bloodletting caused by a brand new clunker can be spectacular. Anyone remember the 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4? How about the Cimarron? It has taken Caddy more than 20 years to climb back from that double debacle if, indeed, they have. But there’s another, slower and more insidious way to ruin a storied car brand: distraction. When a carmaker builds a vehicle that muddies the marque’s core message, it mortgages its future. To wit, the Lexus LF-A.

...........trimmed for size......

I know TTAC’s Best and Brightest welcome automotive excellence in all its forms. But sometimes excellence is boring, and comes from slow, steady progress. It’s a lesson Toyota taught the world. The LF-A is another step towards unlearning it.
I've read this statement (argument?) several times and I'm having trouble getting the point. On the one hand he seems to like the idea of the LF-A and other times considers it folly. The key to the correctness of Toyota's decision will be how well they stick to the plan, continue to develop the car, possibly some line expansion, spin off the technologies to their other models, etc. In the past we've seen manufacturers produce a new car, with a lot of hype, and then attempt to milk the model by reducing costs and not continuing development.

Given that the development LF-A has substance, aluminum, carbon fiber, V10, etc. and is headed to production, only time will tell what path Lexus will take; but their history has been to continue development. It's easy to criticize or be a nay sayer but their track record is solid so I fully support this new direction rather than take the conservative route. It won't hurt their long term market and will bring in new customers.
Old 05-27-08, 07:21 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Rubbish article.

First of all the author states "it WILL sticker for $225k" ..... When did that press release come out? Passing speculation of as fact is poor journalism.

Secondly, the author assumes that this car is a halo car for the Lexus brand. No sir. This car has ALWAYS been shown with an 'F' badge. It is a halo car for their F marquee, the same one they created for the enthusiast that own Lexii and had to go outside of the brand for cars that stirred their passion. The same one they created, because THEY the auto journalists, kept complaining that they were too boring, bland, dull and appliance like.

Lastly, the author starts the article with the line "The fastest way to kill an automotive brand: sell a POS." Is he trying to imply that the LF-A will be one? You sir, and all the 'experts' who agreed with you on your site, can merrily go and mold your opinion into a carbon fibre rod and take it up the tail pipe.

It bothers the writer that someone is upsetting the status quo, doing something different, and most of all, it eats you him from the inside that it is Toyota/Lexus. It burns him that it will no longer be as easy to say "Lexus = bland" or "Lexus = Boring".... that site is total garbage. THAT is the truth.
Old 05-27-08, 08:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Yea, I just saw the article on autoblog.com about the LF-A crash during night-time qualifying. I was not aware that this happened. I wonder if this had anything to do with the fluid leak that developed early on in the race?
Sounds like it could very well have...rear end damage, rear end fluid leak later on...makes you wonder if they could have used a backup prototype (probably not).

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It burns him that it will no longer be as easy to say "Lexus = bland" or "Lexus = Boring"....
+1, I think that is a real issue, these guys want their stereotypes of Lexus and Toyota to be confirmed, there is cognitive dissonance when TMC produces something that isn't merely 'reliable.'

To be a bit ad hominem, TTAC has been pushing the LF-A mistake view for a while now, they had Al Ries, marketing guru on and tried to get him to say that it would be a mistake, he doesn't believe in halo cars but wouldn't sign on to it damaging the brand either. Mr. Farago, the writer of the article, was fired from a newspaper following some of his harsh critiques, of which he is known for elsewhere...in the end I think TTAC is kinda like an extreme 'Television without Pity" for cars...they have their opinion but I don't often share it.

IMO, the LF-A is a risk, but it is one with little downside. The LF-A is a drop-dead sexy car, and it was swarmed at the LA Auto Show when it was presented (just a little anecdote). The top end of Lexus has needed a performance marque and a supercar. The F-badge has started the former, and now Lexus needs to go where it has not gone before.

Last edited by encore888; 05-27-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 08:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Would be great to get a translation of those videos.

You can make out though him mentioning the Enzo and Carrera GT. I think it's pretty clear now what the LF-A's performance benchmarks are.
Old 05-27-08, 08:39 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with encore here. LF-A is a risk, but it is a VERY large stretch to try to say it is a mistake, especially when the car is not even out yet.

I would argue that in the current market, Lexus may be the company that has the most to gain from a Halo like this. I know I said this a couple years ago when the new LS came out, but I truly believe they are going 1989 all over again here with this supercar. This is the only time since that fateful year that they are truly jumping into a market segment that no one would've guessed they ever would. Just as with the original LS400, it looks as if they are taking their time, doing it right, and taking no prisoners.

I believe, in a way, the Nissan GT-R has paved the way for this LF-A. Many doubted, even with the GT-R's rich history, that something of the R35's magnitude could be pulled off. Nissan has proven that a Japanese company CAN make one of the most capable sports cars in the world. Lexus does not have that rich history working for them, but at least there is some credibility given by spy shot/video publicity of this car over the last few years.
Old 05-27-08, 08:48 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Would be great to get a translation of those videos.

You can make out though him mentioning the Enzo and Carrera GT. I think it's pretty clear now what the LF-A's performance benchmarks are.
Yep, if the speculated power (550+) and weight (<3000) are true, I think those benchmarks are attainable. That would also explain the rumor of them not supposedly not being satisfied with a 330km/h top speed (Carrera GT), and now shooting for a 350km/h top speed (Enzo).
Old 05-27-08, 08:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I'm with encore here. LF-A is a risk, but it is a VERY large stretch to try to say it is a mistake, especially when the car is not even out yet.

I would argue that in the current market, Lexus may be the company that has the most to gain from a Halo like this. I know I said this a couple years ago when the new LS came out, but I truly believe they are going 1989 all over again here with this supercar.
IMO you are right on when stating that of all the luxury makes out there, Lexus stands most to gain from adding a supercar, if anyone is to gain at all. Globally MB and Audi have their supercars; and it's not just a case for me-tooism. From the Supra to the SC 300/400, there is potential. Yes, this is a whole other class, but considering the resources and know-how I think they can pull off a competitive entry. While I'm not sure if anyone can ever recapture the smashing success of a launch that Lexus had in 1989, I'd also really like to see some of the F-marque elements trickle down to the rest of Lexus...a sexy new SC, the IS coupe, etc.
Old 05-27-08, 09:30 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
I'd also really like to see some of the F-marque elements trickle down to the rest of Lexus...a sexy new SC, the IS coupe, etc.
Interesting you brought this up. I have wondered now for the last year or so with the coming of the IS-F, something most of us would agree is a non-traditional step for Lexus, if that move was just an exception or rather a new goal/strategy for the company. Obviously this LF-A would take another step in the same direction. But the part that really makes me wonder is if the decision to concentrate on the sporting side of things comes from a single, vocal executive in the upper echelons advocating or if this was a collective strategy agreed upon by all members of the Board and senior management.

About the SC, I feel comfortable making the assumption that we will indeed be very pleased with the design of the car at least. Although looks are subjective, I think there is an overall opinion that the new L-Finesse designs are attractive. If anything, there is finally a cohesion of design philosophy across the board that we have not seen before with Lexus.
Old 05-27-08, 09:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Interesting you brought this up. I have wondered now for the last year or so with the coming of the IS-F, something most of us would agree is a non-traditional step for Lexus, if that move was just an exception or rather a new goal/strategy for the company. Obviously this LF-A would take another step in the same direction. But the part that really makes me wonder is if the decision to concentrate on the sporting side of things comes from a single, vocal executive in the upper echelons advocating or if this was a collective strategy agreed upon by all members of the Board and senior management.
From what I read, the IS-F was the brainchild of Chief Engineer Yaguchi, who did not have approval from the Lexus board, but once the prototype was revealed, board members were able to test drive it. In an interview, Yaguchi said that the test drive was what changed opinions and allowed the IS-F to go forward towards production. This sounds to me that there were elements in the company leadership that were supportive, but the majority were focused on continuing to do what Lexus has done best--refined luxury cars. It took convincing, but they said yes.

With the performance aspect unleashed to greater effect than ever before, things seem to be moving in a new direction now. I'm guessing the LF-A was originally a standalone project, which is why the LF-A I did not have the F-badges but the LF-A II does. And Lexus started on its global path in 2005; that's when the separate Lexus board of directors was formed, and just around the time the first L-finessed models were put into action. I'm guessing the board also realized that to be global means to embrace luxury and performance.

I wonder what's next for the LF-A, hopefully they can now use the time available to them to fully repair the racing prototype and try again...
Old 05-27-08, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The Lexus LF-A is a Mistake

By Robert Farago

[...snip...]

The best way to separate the wheat from the carbon fiber titanium-covered chaff (needed at those speeds):
Got a chuckle out of that tortured metaphor.

Lexus would have been far better off transforming their dopey SC into a credible Mercedes SL challenger.
I agree 1000%.
Old 05-27-08, 09:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

In examining the possible trickle-down effects of the LF-A to the rest of the lineup, the question on SC relations leaves one wondering...

...will the Lexus SC to LF-A relationship be, as suggested above, the Mercedes-Benz SL to McLaren SLR, or Audi TT to Audi R8?
Old 05-27-08, 11:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

IMO you are right on when stating that of all the luxury makes out there, Lexus stands most to gain from adding a supercar, if anyone is to gain at all. Globally MB and Audi have their supercars; and it's not just a case for me-tooism. From the Supra to the SC 300/400, there is potential. Yes, this is a whole other class, but considering the resources and know-how I think they can pull off a competitive entry. While I'm not sure if anyone can ever recapture the smashing success of a launch that Lexus had in 1989, I'd also really like to see some of the F-marque elements trickle down to the rest of Lexus...a sexy new SC, the IS coupe, etc.
Exactly...... They make it seem as if Lexus is doing nothing but focusing on this project. I would like to think they know what they are doing.
Old 05-28-08, 05:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I feel like LF-A will be th cars official name.

As far as that review from ttac, I can't remember them saying anything positive about any car. They write what they write to garner attention imo. Makes for an interesting read sometimes. I agee with somethings but others are off base a little bit.
Old 05-28-08, 05:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could very well have...rear end damage, rear end fluid leak later on...makes you wonder if they could have used a backup prototype (probably not).
Are they allowed to do that? Use a separate car than the one they entered in the race? The crashed LF-A has a completely different front bumper than the one used in the race the next day (large center fog lights). It's either they used another LF-A or they replaced the panels.
Old 05-28-08, 09:06 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

The idiot forgot the 1st gen SC was more like a CL. 2nd gen SC shrunk like whoa. Hopefully the 3rd gen SC will go back to the 1st gen size or something so it can compete against the CL.

Screw the SC competing with with the SL, thats my honest opinion.

Seeing Lexus will have different variations of the LF-A, depending how the LF-A Roadster works out I can see that going against the SL, all I can say we have a ****load of time until 2010-11 (aka next year) to see what Lexus will do about the long awaited halo.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)