LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 08:15 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I feel like we've been hearing rumours like this for ages. That price tag seems too good to be true; I thought it was going to be closer to 300k?
Yes, I said quite a while back that it would be in between $150-200K US dollars. However, the information I recieved the other day was a lot more concrete
Old 03-01-09, 08:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
*IF* they are producing the LF-A, I think it would be smarter for them to try to price it as low as possible and sell more of them rather than price it too high so that very few people would want to get it - they just might end up with roughly the same total revenue from the sales either way, but hopefully more because of lower pricing, I think it's still better to have more people actually buying the car, rather than have almost everyone just looking and talking about it.
You have a good point there. Not to mention, having invested in both a coupe and convertible version, it's more than just a single limited edition model, there are two variants here, and potentially more customers eyed for both, even if it is a fairly rare halo model. The more exposure this car gets the better--it could even one day approach a classic.

Originally Posted by Koma

Well halo vehicles like the Mercedes SLR don't follow the normal naming scheme either. I don't mind the LFA name.
Indeed, that does make sense. Actually having a unique naming convention may fit an ultra-luxe model...although the "LF" moniker has stood for Lexus Future IIRC. Looking at the back end of the LF-A/LFA, there's no room for the conventional Lexus...XX ### titles either, it will have to go at the center a la the first gen SC. 'LFA' at the middle...that may work out alright. And considering this vehicle is known by that name for quite a while now. Just not 'LFA-F'
Old 03-01-09, 09:21 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That is exactly my point, that we should simply stop listening to all the ridiculous rumours. All you need to do is just look at the facts.

The facts are that the LF-A has been extensively tested and developed on the Nurburgring and Fuji Speedway, just to name a few. It's taken part in a 24 Hour race, and Akio Toyoda himself has piloted an LF-A prototype a few months ago at the Toyota Motorsports Festival in Japan. If you completely ignore the rumours, then the facts indicate the car is pretty much coming to production.

As for the wheel gap, my point simply was that this is a Lexus unlike any other. Despite the history that Lexus has with previous concepts and models in terms of wheel gap, it does not mean it will apply to the LF-A.
Fair enough

I do really hope this car comes to market soon. Would make a fantastic halo car if priced correctly and question the exotic car market just like the LS did when it first came out.
Old 03-01-09, 10:54 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the secrecy. Why not just say you'll make it if that's the plan? If someone from inside Lexus is willing to let Dave600hl know, why not all of us?
Old 03-01-09, 11:01 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I agree. Also, the fact of the matter is for $225k you can find yourself in a brand new Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, and while I love Lexus and everything, I'm not sure I or anyone here would choose a Lexus over a Lamborghini. While Lexus has a great deal of cachet, it's still not that high. I can see this car going for $175k tops.
If it's faster, sounds better, is sleeker and sexier and costs $50k less, why the hell not? Even if it costs as much, if it's rarer that seals the deal. Period. Not everybody buys a car for the badge on the front.
Old 03-01-09, 11:18 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ren495
I don't understand the secrecy. Why not just say you'll make it if that's the plan? If someone from inside Lexus is willing to let Dave600hl know, why not all of us?
I believe it is b/c there is still a lot of things to be sorted out by the year 2011. How would everyone react if they officially made a promis to release the car in a certain time frame and then did not come through... Not saying anything official is the smartest thing to do IMO.
Old 03-01-09, 11:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I believe it is b/c there is still a lot of things to be sorted out by the year 2011. How would everyone react if they officially made a promis to release the car in a certain time frame and then did not come through... Not saying anything official is the smartest thing to do IMO.
Calendar year 2011 or MY2011?
Old 03-01-09, 11:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lexus will probably sell less than 20 of these in a given year. i love the LF-A but there is absolutely no point to this car. i mean, i guess if Merc can do it with the Mclarren, then lexus should too
Old 03-02-09, 07:56 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by RXSF
lexus will probably sell less than 20 of these in a given year. i love the LF-A but there is absolutely no point to this car. i mean, i guess if Merc can do it with the Mclarren, then lexus should too
This vehicle is to showcase technology and to boast. It's not to make money and it's not to sell in droves. Like all supercars, they boast the image of the company and make everyone WISH they could own one. That in itself is huge. Bugatti Veyron is the same way, they don't make money off them, they don't sell in large numbers. It raises awareness of the brand and also shows the world that Lexus doesn't make only boring cars. It's trying to build up the F marque and this is a great way to do it. This will shut up a lot of naysayers if it comes out. M3 owners probably say "well we have the M3, M5, M6, M coupe/roadster what do you have Lexus the IS-F?" I can see the purpose of the vehicle even though I can never own one.

Originally Posted by ren495
Lexus has been very hush-hush about all future projects until very close to production time. As Dave said they don't want to break any promises.
Old 03-02-09, 01:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
This vehicle is to showcase technology and to boast. It's not to make money and it's not to sell in droves. Like all supercars, they boast the image of the company and make everyone WISH they could own one. That in itself is huge. Bugatti Veyron is the same way, they don't make money off them, they don't sell in large numbers. It raises awareness of the brand and also shows the world that Lexus doesn't make only boring cars. It's trying to build up the F marque and this is a great way to do it. This will shut up a lot of naysayers if it comes out. M3 owners probably say "well we have the M3, M5, M6, M coupe/roadster what do you have Lexus the IS-F?" I can see the purpose of the vehicle even though I can never own one.

Lexus has been very hush-hush about all future projects until very close to production time. As Dave said they don't want to break any promises.
Promises smomises. They are made to be broken.. This is 2009 ladies & gents and this thread has run its course imo.... Bring out the car already Lexus and stop the dilly dallying! In the meantime, shoppers will continue to shop for M6, CL63, Aston Martin, Ferrari when it comes to executive coupe with performance. Well, there is always the IS-C.. How can I forget
Old 03-02-09, 03:44 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Calendar year 2011 or MY2011?
He just said sometime in 2011.
Old 03-03-09, 11:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It would be nice if they planned on redesigning the car when it comes out in 2011 but that obviously won't happen. We will have been looking at the same overall shape and design for the last 6 years at that point and quite frankly, the car is going to look dated unless there is a major overhaul.

There will also be a new Ferrari F450, Gallardo successor, MB SLS, and a new911 by then, plus a few other competitors. I really have no idea what Lexus has been thinking with this car because by the time they actually release it, the LF-A will be completely obsolete.

They would have to announce production plans like TOMORROW for anyone to care about this car anymore. The whole LF-A project is just played out now and people are sick of hearing about it.

I'm as much a Lexus fan boy as the next, but the LF-A is a lost cause IMO.
Old 03-03-09, 11:32 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You do have a point about the basic shape, but the current LF-A shape was shown in 2007, it's been 2 years now. The LF-A Roadster was shown last year. Moreover, for instance like the 911, they have the same basic design but evolve it over generations. While of course the LF-A isn't such a long-running vehicle, I do not expect them to have to completely give the car a new look with each design. Finally, it's all about what's underneath. The V10 powertrain and other specifications will make the LF-A unique, and I expect that when launched the vehicle will be cutting-edge in specs.

So why the delay? The economy happened, and Lexus and Toyota want to take the time to get it right, just like with the LS. Now is this the right strategy? Not sure, but right now is less than ideal for any supercar.
Old 03-03-09, 11:34 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

LF-A is obsolete? I don't think so.

Sure it's not set for production yet but so far no one has yet to beat the "unofficial" time the LF-A set at the 'Ring. Not even the mighty GT-R.

As for the styling, beauty is stricly in the eyes of the beholder, I personally would choose LF-A's understated styling over any of the flashy, look-at-me supercar stylings.
Old 03-03-09, 12:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
You do have a point about the basic shape, but the current LF-A shape was shown in 2007, it's been 2 years now.
The overall shape is the same as the 2005, they made some small tweaks in 2007 but the general shape and look of the car was the same. Wheels, front end, and rear are a bit different.

The LF-A Roadster was shown last year. Moreover, for instance like the 911, they have the same basic design but evolve it over generations. While of course the LF-A isn't such a long-running vehicle, I do not expect them to have to completely give the car a new look with each design. Finally, it's all about what's underneath. The V10 powertrain and other specifications will make the LF-A unique, and I expect that when launched the vehicle will be cutting-edge in specs.
I would venture to agree with you but once again it's important to consider that the competition is not sitting still here. ~500+ hp is not the same in 2005 as it is now or will be in 2011. 500hp was big power back in 05, now, that number is closer to 600-700hp if you really want to impress people and have a one up. The new MB SLS will be pushing close to 600hp and 500 lb-ft of torque.

Yes, weight plays a significant role and that is allegedly part of the LF-A's recipe for success but they could have made a much bigger splash even in 2007 with the car than they are going to make in 2011. Period.

Handling...I am sure that this car will be a complete blast to drive and unlike any Lexus before it but so are ALL of the exotics. F430, R8, Gallardo, 911 Turbo...they all handle well. I have no doubt that it will be well balanced, stable, and nimble, but again, so is every one of the competitors and so it will also be at their redesigns within the next two years.

So why the delay? The economy happened, and Lexus and Toyota want to take the time to get it right, just like with the LS. Now is this the right strategy? Not sure, but right now is less than ideal for any supercar.
Understandable but there are two main problems:

1) As time goes on the bar is continually set higher. If Lexus had done this in 2007:
  • -They wouldn't be worrying about financial markets and the economy like they are now (later sales of the car would have been affected but publicity and image would have been THROUGH THE ROOF.
  • - They would have had a 1 up on the GT-R, R8, and others
  • - The world would have been stunned by a car with 550 hp, ~3000lb curb weight with aluminum and carbon fiber body, and carbon ceramic brakes. Now these things are common place with exotics.

2) There is only so much that they are going to change with the car before they put it into production. Things like the chassis, suspension, and even powertrain have likely been semi-finalized a long time ago. The only changes that are probably being made would be to things like exhausts, intakes, brakes, spring and shock rates, etc. This project would become ungodly expensive if they continued to completely scrap engines, transmissions, and suspensions after the car has been "somewhat" finalized as we saw in 2005, then with a few tweaks in 2007. "Tweaks" is the key word here.

In a sense, the main course has already been cooked and we are waiting for the side dishes to finish.

The problem with this? Realistically this car has probably been under development since 2003 considering that it hit the auto show circuit in 2005. That would mean that development for the engine, transmission, electronics, chassis, and suspension were likely close to completion when it hit the show circuit at Tokyo in 05. From there they obviously changed some sheetmetal and I am sure a few alterations to engine, transmission, and suspension between 2005 and 2007 when LF-A II came out but it was still the SAME basic formula.

The LF-A formula is now OLD. I know it seems like I keep stretching out time lines to make the car seem older but realistically it has probably been under development since 2003, maybe 2004 at the latest. At this point Lexus is tweaking and altering the same basic formula, parts, and hardware that have been around for the last SIX years. Once the car makes it to a dealership it's going to be nearly ten years old, and then has another 4-8 year product life cycle ahead of itself. On top of that is the fact that the basic sheetmetal is still the same and can only be altered so much without entering more costly expenditures that would render this project a bust.

See where I am going here?

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)