LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 07:49 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A large part of it is that Toyota just won't commit to whether the LF-A will be produced or not. No one here has any concrete evidence that the car will ever hit showrooms. Just mostly religious faith in Lexus. It's only been rumor upon rumor. If Toyota would only announce if and when the LF-A will go on sale then I think a lot of frustration will disappear. I have to admit that I am very skeptical about it now and I was very excited about it 2 years ago. I think it's kind of a "cry wolf" effect now. Many of us have just moved on.
Old 03-04-09, 08:50 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Did you just not answer your own question? Why are they taking so long?

(Takes a deep breath), You talk of porsche and other super cars and how established they are and how well they have perfected there cars and even stated that the 911 could be considered a bench mark(which I agree). So what makes you thing Lexus can slap together a car that will compete or even better these cars in "your" acceptable time frame which would be what... 4 years as oppossed to the time it has taken for porsche and co to get their cars right? Your expectations are ridiculus and not thought out IMO.

I believe that lexus at least wants to make a car that is right the first time. I mean have a look a the GTR, it took 8 years or so to be brought to life and they still got so many things wrong, I am hearing all sorts of compliants which I won't go into (not saying the GTR is a failure or not a good car). The IS-F was a complete after thought and I can only hear good things about it, no serious mechnical problems and it has a the worlds first 8 speed transmission.

I am sorry I just can't seem to grasp why you are so disappointed???
+1

I couldn't be happier with my overpriced Toyota Prius!
Old 03-05-09, 11:48 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I too think Lexus wants to get it right the first time...if they didn't then it wouldn't be taking almost ten years for the car to arrive. I am just concerned that they are going to be sitting on the same formula for too long while the competition is being redesigned and upgraded. Hopefully the car is being designed so far above the F430, Gallardo, and 911 that even when their successors are introduced the LF-A will still make big splash. As the years wear on I am simply concerned about the LF-A's ability to remain competitive and wow the public when they've already been waiting for the car for the last 4 years.
Don't forget to take into consideration that toyota/lexus has A LOT more stuff on their plates than Ferrari, Lambo, and Porche. And i agree that lexus likes to take their sweet *** time, but honestly hasn't that paid off? Honestly what car has lexus come out with that failed miserably?
Old 03-05-09, 01:37 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
Don't forget to take into consideration that toyota/lexus has A LOT more stuff on their plates than Ferrari, Lambo, and Porche. And i agree that lexus likes to take their sweet *** time, but honestly hasn't that paid off? Honestly what car has lexus come out with that failed miserably?
I wouldn't go as far to say the SC 300 or IS sportcross failed miserably but those are the only two models I can think of that Lexus discontinued.

The ES has been around since the beginning as well as the LS. The SC 400 evolved into the SC 430, the GS is still around, the IS is holding it's own, the RX does very well and the GX and LX are doing fine. The only new model coming out this fall is the HS 250h and I'm sure it will do just fine. Then I'm assuming the LF-A will come out at the end of 2010 as a 2011 model...
Old 03-05-09, 02:24 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
I wouldn't go as far to say the SC 300 or IS sportcross failed miserably but those are the only two models I can think of that Lexus discontinued.

The ES has been around since the beginning as well as the LS. The SC 400 evolved into the SC 430, the GS is still around, the IS is holding it's own, the RX does very well and the GX and LX are doing fine. The only new model coming out this fall is the HS 250h and I'm sure it will do just fine. Then I'm assuming the LF-A will come out at the end of 2010 as a 2011 model...
true, but that generation SC and IS lineup was a success, my point is, lexus has a great track record.
Old 03-05-09, 03:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I see your point, I have to mention that the 1IS was pretty much a failure, especially the sportcross.

Live and learn...2IS makes up for it!
Old 03-08-09, 02:42 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
A large part of it is that Toyota just won't commit to whether the LF-A will be produced or not.
The IS-F wasn't officially announced by Lexus Japan until Oct. '07, so don't hold your breath.
Old 04-02-09, 01:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So now we know that the production LF-A may premiere at the Tokyo Motor Show this November...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...baru-seda.html

...and the LF-A was spotted yet again yesterday being driven around the Nurburgring, along with an IS-F:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waldpilz/3404021761/
Attached Thumbnails Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)-lf-a-april-2009.jpg  
Old 04-02-09, 03:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like it has more camo. Hopefully some much needed design changes.

And the IS-F has a full rollcage. Is that mandatory for the ring?
Old 04-02-09, 03:18 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GFerg
And the IS-F has a full rollcage. Is that mandatory for the ring?
Not to my knowledge.

Could the full roll cage and the two backwards-facing NACA ducts/hood scoops be, instead, implying a full-fledged racing version of the IS F?
Old 04-02-09, 04:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh noes.... My informant has just let me know that lexus could be limiting the production for the LF-A to 500 units (He could not say if this was for Japan only or for the world market) and that the price will be around $250K!!!!!
Old 04-02-09, 04:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Oh noes.... My informant has just let me know that lexus could be limiting the production for the LF-A to 500 units (He could not say if this was for Japan only or for the world market) and that the price will be around $250K!!!!!
Interesting. The IS-F had a 500 unit sales target in Japan for 2007, and then AutoWeek had an item saying that the IS-F was limited to only 1,000 units in the US

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/31/l...or-u-s-market/

IMO it would not be surprising to have the car limited to 500 units, although if there were better economic times there could be more. As for a $250K price, that sounds around the numbers that have been tossed about, with $300K being at the higher end. These are the details that need to be nailed down before formal production...
Old 04-02-09, 04:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

500 for the world is definitely slim pickings if true. It would be about as rare as an Enzo (around 400 made).

Last edited by GFerg; 04-02-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 05:00 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
Interesting. The IS-F had a 500 unit sales target in Japan for 2007, and then AutoWeek had an item saying that the IS-F was limited to only 1,000 units in the US

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/31/l...or-u-s-market/
I refer you to my commentary my.IS Front Page story from January 2007:
http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-f-200-...ly-u-s-318596/

Originally Posted by encore888
IMO it would not be surprising to have the car limited to 500 units, although if there were better economic times there could be more.
Later accounts indeed have Lexus copying a page from the Bugatti Veyron playbook: "We'll build 500 cars only and we'll keep it in production for as long as it takes to build and sell the 500."
Old 04-02-09, 05:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I refer you to my commentary my.IS Front Page story from January 2007:
http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-f-200-...ly-u-s-318596/

Later accounts indeed have Lexus copying a page from the Bugatti Veyron playbook: "We'll build 500 cars only and we'll keep it in production for as long as it takes to build and sell the 500."
Indeed, thanks for linking to the analysis; your commentary puts the item into perspective and references the top speed estimates for the IS-F more accurately than the AutoWeek item did.

IMO, considering the NSX production strategy, versus the development costs for the LF-A, and the likelihood that Lexus takes a bath on each one sold, plus exclusivity, 500 seems like a fair number to me. Maybe their discussions had the 1,000 number bandied about, as referenced by the perhaps-not-IS-F rumors in AutoWeek, but I'm certain it was always going to be a relatively small number.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)