LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

given the economy and that the LF-A is unlikely to make much profit regardless of price, (and toyota definitely won't want to take much if any loss), i can imagine a limited production.
Old 04-03-09, 06:32 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Testing

The supercar that almost wasnt, and still might not be - the Lexus LF-A, or LFA as it's known to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, recently underwent a special kind of exhibition in Milan during Fashion Week, and now it could be shown off in final form come October's Tokyo Motor Show.

The source, dug up by Edmunds, revealed the details but backed them up only with the idea that Toyota would somehow benefit from the myopic coverage sure to result from a car show devoid of other major reveals. The source said a production-ready LF-A would be displayed, despite a long series of ups and downs for the car.

The Lexus LF-A has been spotted in real-world testing on the Nurburgring, so it's well past the 'pure concept' stage, but its production future still remains murky at best. The Japanese company's investment in the LF-A at the recent Milan Fashion Week, however, lends credence to the idea that it is in fact going to be built.

Toyota is known for nothing if not its corporate efficiency, and elaborate displays of cars that will never be built doesn't fit with the current austerity measures going on elsewhere within its structure.

That would make the dark photos of the LF-A ice sculpture potentially some of the best intel available as to the production car's final design, though gleaning details from them is near-impossible. With the car's projected price and performance, it's not unimaginable that the final production could very closely resemble the concept vehicle already widely exposed to the press anyway.

If the LF-A does go into production, it is expected to cost more than $200,000, sporting a 5.0L V10 engine rated at over 500hp (373kW). Limited production is also the name of the game, with only about 1,00o units expected unless demand proves high enough to support more. A hybrid variant should also be available, but it’s unknown how much power this version will have or what affect the heavy batteries and extra motor will have on handling and weight.

The car's front mid-engine placement, along with a rear-mounted transaxle and rear-mounted radiators, should allow for excellent weight distribution, however. Lexus has billed the concept version of the car as having a top speed in excess of 200mph, and we have no reason to doubt the production version will reach these limits if it’s sold unrestricted.
Old 04-03-09, 07:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
The supercar that almost wasnt, and still might not be - the Lexus LF-A, or LFA as it's known to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, recently underwent a special kind of exhibition in Milan during Fashion Week, and now it could be shown off in final form come October's Tokyo Motor Show.

The source, dug up by Edmunds, revealed the details but backed them up only with the idea that Toyota would somehow benefit from the myopic coverage sure to result from a car show devoid of other major reveals. The source said a production-ready LF-A would be displayed, despite a long series of ups and downs for the car.

The Lexus LF-A has been spotted in real-world testing on the Nurburgring, so it's well past the 'pure concept' stage, but its production future still remains murky at best. The Japanese company's investment in the LF-A at the recent Milan Fashion Week, however, lends credence to the idea that it is in fact going to be built.

Toyota is known for nothing if not its corporate efficiency, and elaborate displays of cars that will never be built doesn't fit with the current austerity measures going on elsewhere within its structure.

That would make the dark photos of the LF-A ice sculpture potentially some of the best intel available as to the production car's final design, though gleaning details from them is near-impossible. With the car's projected price and performance, it's not unimaginable that the final production could very closely resemble the concept vehicle already widely exposed to the press anyway.

If the LF-A does go into production, it is expected to cost more than $200,000, sporting a 5.0L V10 engine rated at over 500hp (373kW). Limited production is also the name of the game, with only about 1,00o units expected unless demand proves high enough to support more. A hybrid variant should also be available, but it’s unknown how much power this version will have or what affect the heavy batteries and extra motor will have on handling and weight.

The car's front mid-engine placement, along with a rear-mounted transaxle and rear-mounted radiators, should allow for excellent weight distribution, however. Lexus has billed the concept version of the car as having a top speed in excess of 200mph, and we have no reason to doubt the production version will reach these limits if it’s sold unrestricted.
Now we're talkin.
Old 04-03-09, 08:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since it's trademarked, LFA it is, like SLR...
Old 04-03-09, 09:29 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is just breathtaking.
Old 04-03-09, 05:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Turns out that the reason why the LFA's out there doing test runs is for a repeat participation in the 56. ADAC Westfalenfahrt this weekend at the Nordschleife.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090403....at-nurburgring

Lexus LFA Racecar Testing at Nurburgring

The Lexis LF-A has been spotted on the road again. Seen for the first time in 2009, the supercar was spied during a run on the 'Ring.

For this run, during industry-only performance testing at the Nürburgring, Lexus wheeled out a LF-A racecar with new air intakes and a rear diffuser. These changes may only be in place for the upcoming 56. ADAC Westfalenfahrt being held this weekend at the Nordschleife. The four-hour long distance race on the Nürburgring grand prix circuit this weekend will include drivers Hiromu Naruse, Minoru Takaki, and Yoshinobu Katsumata piloting the LF-A for Gazoo Racing. The three drivers will try to retain the LF-A's SP8 class first place title after the surprising win last year. We're not sure if either the intakes or diffuser will make production.

Legendary Toyota test driver Hiromu Naruse has the helm on this project. Naruse has been with the firm for 46 years, earning the title of "Nur Meister" for being the "One and Only Master Craftsman" of automobile manufacturing. His credentials include work on the Toyota 7, 2000GT, MR-2, MR-S, and the Supra, to name a few.

Set for a Tokyo Motor Show debut in October, the Lexus LF-A is expected to get a V10 engine that produces over 600 bhp. With its carbon fibre body and rear wing, a 0-60mph in under four seconds is likely. The F1 paddleshifters will help the driver get to a top speed of over 200mph.
Old 04-04-09, 07:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, so further participation in a Nurburgring race? Updated front end and rear end?

All of those who still think the LF-A will never come to production or will be cancelled, I want to hear what your reasons are this time .

The LF-A continues to evolve, and the fact that (under this economy) Toyota is racing a prototype LF-A for the second time at a long-distance Nurburgring race shows the car is definitely coming to production.

Also this quote below is very important for those who doubt the LF-A will be produced:

Originally Posted by Motor Authority
This is exactly true. Given Toyota's renowned efficiency, and given that they are running leaner than ever because of the economy, there is NO way Toyota would continue to be updating the LF-A right now and setting up extravagant displays of the LF-A in Italy without the car coming to production.

To those that understand Toyota and it's culture, all Toyota is doing is building up hype, suspsense, and mystery regarding the LF-A.

Also very interesting is how the rumoured HP of the car continues to increase. Originally rumours said the car would have over 500HP. Now, the latest rumours say the car has over 600HP.

Recently there were some posts on CL questioning the LF-A's existence, it's long development schedule, and other things. I think a few things need to be addressed.

To those comparing the LF-A development time to the GT-R, the GT-R concept originally was shown in 2001. The GT-R production car debuted in 2007. That is a 6 year development time from pure concept to production unveiling. The LF-A concept debuted originally in 2005. If we use the GT-R timeframe, then the LF-A production car should hit showrooms in 2011. Now if the rumours are true and Toyota will show the production LF-A at the Tokyo show this year, then that will only be a 4 year gap between pure concept and production car unveiling, far shorter than the 6 year gap the GT-R had. I really don't see what people are complaining about here. Consider also that the LF-A is not meant to compete with the GT-R; it's meant to compete with faster, more exclusive cars.

Also to those who think the LF-A won't be competitive compared to the Porsche 998, Ferrari F450, or other related vehicles, that's just wrong.

First off, the LF-A is in a totally different class than a Ferrari F430 or a Porsche 911 Turbo, or a GT-R for that matter. All insider information on the LF-A states that Toyota never benchmarked these cars. Insider info says that Toyota benchmarked the Porsche Carrera GT, the Ferrari Enzo, and the Mercedes SLR in terms of performance. This is suppored by the unofficial lap time the LF-A achieved on the 'Ring, which interestingly is faster than the lap times for an Enzo, Carrera GT, or SLR.
Old 04-04-09, 07:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Also to those who think the LF-A won't be competitive compared to the Porsche 998, Ferrari F450, or other related vehicles, that's just wrong.

First off, the LF-A is in a totally different class than a Ferrari F430 or a Porsche 911 Turbo, or a GT-R for that matter. All insider information on the LF-A states that Toyota never benchmarked these cars. Insider info says that Toyota benchmarked the Porsche Carrera GT, the Ferrari Enzo, and the Mercedes SLR in terms of performance. This is supported by the unofficial lap time the LF-A achieved on the 'Ring, which interestingly is faster than the lap times for an Enzo, Carrera GT, or SLR.
Very interesting, the competitive set for the LFA is a very high bar to compete against, it'll be fascinating to see how this supercar may be able to deliver. The car's appearance is now known, at this point the styling looks production ready, but its technical specifications remain shrouded in mystery. I wonder what goes into the recent 500->600 hp increase, and if the hybrid version rumors will be validated. Also of the rumored 500 units to be made, or up to 1,000, I wonder how many will be the coupe and roadster.
Old 04-04-09, 08:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Very interesting, the competitive set for the LFA is a very high bar to compete against, it'll be fascinating to see how this supercar may be able to deliver. The car's appearance is now known, at this point the styling looks production ready, but its technical specifications remain shrouded in mystery. I wonder what goes into the recent 500->600 hp increase, and if the hybrid version rumors will be validated. Also of the rumored 500 units to be made, or up to 1,000, I wonder how many will be the coupe and roadster.
The rumours always mentioned 'over 500HP'. Likely people knew that given the speed of the prototypes it was at least 500, but nobody knew how much. For a while the rumour was it had 552HP. There were also rumours last year that the HP was as high as 570 or 580. I doubt the engine has changed technically speaking, but Toyota may have tuned it for more power, or maybe earlier rumours were wrong about HP.

We shall see eventually what the final HP is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 600HP.

Styling, believe it or not is still not 100% production ready (on the prototypes). The prototypes seen on the Nurburgring still have some camouflaged/fake body panels. We definitely know what the general shape of the car and stance will be though. Styling details like the headlamps, final bodywork, and rear end we still have not seen. Then there is the interior as well.
Old 04-04-09, 09:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

it be awesome if they turn this into a 1000 hp front-engine supercar hehe
Old 04-05-09, 04:54 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The rumours always mentioned 'over 500HP'. Likely people knew that given the speed of the prototypes it was at least 500, but nobody knew how much. For a while the rumour was it had 552HP. There were also rumours last year that the HP was as high as 570 or 580. I doubt the engine has changed technically speaking, but Toyota may have tuned it for more power, or maybe earlier rumours were wrong about HP.

We shall see eventually what the final HP is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 600HP.

Styling, believe it or not is still not 100% production ready (on the prototypes). The prototypes seen on the Nurburgring still have some camouflaged/fake body panels. We definitely know what the general shape of the car and stance will be though. Styling details like the headlamps, final bodywork, and rear end we still have not seen. Then there is the interior as well.
Any which way, I have put my name on the waiting list. As soon as I heard there was only 500 to be made I thought I better get in before everyone else does. And from what I have been told, there is already 6 people in front of me at my dealership!!!
Old 04-05-09, 07:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRDFantasy,

Can you give sources for some of your information? I haven't heard anything about Lexus naming what cars they benchmark, the final production engine output, or the styling.

The matter-of-fact manner in which you are relaying this information makes me feel like I must have missed something.

Thanks
Old 04-05-09, 06:06 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

The more I read on the LF-A I am convinced that Toyota/Lexus is going to surprise everybody with the final horsepower. IMO they want to be more powerful than a few sportscars on the road today ie: Ferrari and Lamborghini
Old 04-05-09, 10:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Any which way, I have put my name on the waiting list. As soon as I heard there was only 500 to be made I thought I better get in before everyone else does. And from what I have been told, there is already 6 people in front of me at my dealership!!!
Some people continue to say that interest in the LF-A has all but dissapeared and people are no longer interested in the car . I think a lot of people will be surprised at the demand for the LF-A when it hits production.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
TRDFantasy,

Can you give sources for some of your information? I haven't heard anything about Lexus naming what cars they benchmark, the final production engine output, or the styling.

The matter-of-fact manner in which you are relaying this information makes me feel like I must have missed something.

Thanks
I will try to dig them up, but some of the info I heard was on obscure sites and forums from Japanese insiders, and some of that info has since been deleted.

The 552HP rumour has been quite known on the internet, and multiple sources have thrown that number around. The production LF-A being over 600HP would be an educated guess, based on Toyota's tendency to surprise. It's also an educated guess given the car's rumoured curb weight (under 3000lbs) and given the unofficial 'Ring time it achieved.

A lot of the insider info I've heard is through word-of-mouth, not any sort of direct insider friends at Toyota or directly from certain websites.

Toyota and Lexus have not said ANYTHING official about the LF-A yet, but insider information does trickle out from Japan from time to time. I would have though that you would have heard about at least some of these rumours.

The benchmarked competition rumours have been around for years. I remember back in 2007 hearing that Toyota was benchmarking the Enzo, Carrera GT and SLR. There was also a distant rumour that Toyota was extending the LF-A development timeline because they were not satisfied with the LF-A's top speed. The rumour was that the LF-A had a top speed of roughly 205 mph, but Toyota wanted the car to reach at least 217 mph top speed, in order to at least match or beat the Enzo's top speed.

For aerodynamic reasons, and also design freeze reasons, the shape of the car is pretty much finalized. The details may or may not be, but regardless we don't know what the car's details will look like, nor what the interior will look like. The entire production car is likely already finalized, if it's to be shown in October in Tokyo.

I will try to dig up some of the sources where a few of these rumours are mentioned, but I can't really list list sources for the info I've heard through word-of-mouth, since that is complicated because of degrees of separation.

Originally Posted by herbvdh
The more I read on the LF-A I am convinced that Toyota/Lexus is going to surprise everybody with the final horsepower. IMO they want to be more powerful than a few sportscars on the road today ie: Ferrari and Lamborghini
Exactly. This is the same thing as when Toyota surprised everyone with the Gen 4 Supra, the 2GS, the IS-F or even when Toyota surprised the competition with it's GR V6 a few years ago.

Final HP could be around 550HP, but it could also be well over 600HP surprising everyone. Hard to say at this point.
Old 04-05-09, 10:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Default HP reports, top speed target rumors

Did some quick google searches and some references came up:

2007, 2008: http://njection.com/blogs/jalopnik/a...A/default.aspx
"2011 Lexus LF-A" - "Expect to see that 550 HP, 200 MPH production version some time in 2009"

"According to World Car Fans , Auto Express and Japanese car mag Holiday Auto are claiming that the new 552 horsepower Lexus LF-A has set a record lap around the Nurburgring at somewhere around 7 minutes and 24 seconds, which should top times set by the Pagani Zonda F and the Porsche 911 GT2 of 7:27 and 7:32/7:25, respectively."
2007: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/13/w...lf-a-supercar/

A number of "key engineers" have apparently been yanked off the project to work on other programs within Toyota, and that, partnered with problems providing power from both a V10 and a gas-electric hybrid V8, along with reaching the 218 MPH targeted top speed, has caused delays in development.

The business plan for the LF-A includes building 26 units per month, and sources suggest that sales are likely to begin in 2009 – the same year Acura will bring its own supercar to market.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)