LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 12:23 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
What's the for? I dont see the error in that.
Not really an error, I would just add "claimed" to the beginning of that statement, but that's just me.
Old 04-22-09, 04:30 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If Toyota wins an F1 race this year, it's almost guaranteed they will show the production LF-A in Tokyo, if not earlier.
Given how the usual F1 order of things has been turned on its head this season, I'd say the likelihood of this happening are higher than they've ever been...
Old 04-22-09, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

even if it wins everything in sight and even if they build enough to have ONE in each dealership (?), i still think it's going to look very out of place!

the lf-a doesn't make any sense to me, especially in this economy. from quiet luxury sedans and SUVs to a carbon fiber race car?

acura's NSX made more sense because a) it wasn't quite that stratospherically expensive (even when inflation's taking into account) and b) acura had always had a sporty type image.

of course lexus seems to be trying to change their image but the money spent on the lf-a development must be astronomical. i think they could have achieved their goals with a less lofty vehicle and had money left over to update the rest of the line faster which sorely needs it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-22-09 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-22-09, 08:54 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
even if it wins everything in sight and even if they build enough to have ONE in each dealership (?), i still think it's going to look very out of place!

from quiet luxury sedans and SUVs to a carbon fiber race car?

the lf-a makes NO SENSE whatsoever.
I agree that it's outside of their realm of selling normal passenger vehicles but that doesn't mean they shouldn't build it.
Jag XJ220? Jaguar only made luxury vehicles and they decided to make a supercar. The XJ220 was a huge failure but it doesn't mean the LF-A will be.
Old 04-22-09, 08:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

the lf-a doesn't make any sense to me, especially in this economy. from quiet luxury sedans and SUVs to a carbon fiber race car?

acura's NSX made more sense because a) it wasn't quite that stratospherically expensive (even when inflation's taking into account) and b) acura had always had a sporty type image.

of course lexus seems to be trying to change their image but the money spent on the lf-a development must be astronomical. i think they could have achieved their goals with a less lofty vehicle and had money left over to update the rest of the line faster which sorely needs it.

come on, don't be a wet rag. This is the door way to MORE cars of this type, you are looking at it from a reverse perspective.... agua fiestas!!!!
Old 04-22-09, 09:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that more importantly this is the showcase for what F can do and be. Right now we have the IS F which has been a great first stab at high performance and it would be logical to think that in the pipeline we can expect a GS F and SC F at some point, perhaps an LS F. If the LF-A comes out swinging, kicking butt and taking names, "F" from Lexus is going to mean a whole lot more than it would without the car.

It would obviously be the halo car for the brand as they work to create more high performance vehicles.
Old 04-22-09, 09:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think that more importantly this is the showcase for what F can do and be. Right now we have the IS F which has been a great first stab at high performance and it would be logical to think that in the pipeline we can expect a GS F and SC F at some point, perhaps an LS F. If the LF-A comes out swinging, kicking butt and taking names, "F" from Lexus is going to mean a whole lot more than it would without the car.

It would obviously be the halo car for the brand as they work to create more high performance vehicles.
Exactly this.
Old 04-22-09, 10:04 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed. Toyota can do want they wanna do. I and many do agree Lexus should expand the "F" line of high performance cars...
Old 04-22-09, 10:10 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I think it's more like adding to their image, as opposed to changing it.
Old 04-22-09, 11:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Sense or no sense, I just want one.

I want the IS-F too for that matter and a Porsche 911 Turbo to round it up.
Old 04-22-09, 01:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Sense or no sense, I just want one.

I want the IS-F too for that matter and a Porsche 911 Turbo to round it up.
haha. hey stranger! i don't want any of those cars, honest!

911 turbo, too 'outrageous' and absurdly overpriced - i'd prefer a 911 4S (which is also absurdly overpriced), or more likely, an R8.

IS-F i think is really ugly.

the LF-A should be a technical tour-de-force and amazing car, but again, i no longer see the point of owning a race car for regular driving on public roads.
Old 04-22-09, 01:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

haha. hey stranger! i don't want any of those cars, honest!

911 turbo, too 'outrageous' and absurdly overpriced - i'd prefer a 911 4S (which is also absurdly overpriced), or more likely, an R8.
Yes, an R8 is awesome - especially the V10/5.2 liter version coming out. I want that in addition to the 911 Turbo.

IS-F i think is really ugly.
Agreed, it's not a stunner. I really like the engine, tranny, noise, and 4 seats though.

the LF-A should be a technical tour-de-force and amazing car, but again, i no longer see the point of owning a race car for regular driving on public roads.
Who said anything about driving this car on public roads? You have to take it to the track, just like the 911 Turbo.
Old 04-22-09, 03:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
495 ftl. i was hoping for 550-600, **** even 700. guess people are going to tune this like crazy, such as they do for Supra's
If the LFA weighs what it is rumored to weigh, isn't it supposed to be around 3000lbs to under 3000lbs then it will not need over 500hp. 495hp in a sub 3000lb car is going to be insanely fast especially coming from a v10 engine and it will easily do 0-60 in well under 4 seconds with those specs.

Toyota may also want to either under rate it for price/penalty concerns in different markets and may want to go with a slightly smaller engine to avoid displacement/fuel economy penalties as mpg is going to be very important with all future vehicles and they don't want it racking up fines/penalties for being a gas guzzler.

I would much rather the LFA weigh in at 2800lbs-3000lbs and have a smaller v10 with 495hp or rated at 495hp and get decent mileage then it be another 3500lb+ overweight sports car that gets **** poor mileage and needs a big v10 with well over 500hp to overcome its weight and compete.

Last edited by UDel; 04-22-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 04:01 PM
LexFather

x3

I can understand doubting this car, but everyone should hope it makes production. This will be another car to elevate Lexus, a brand that continues to rise to its higher aspirations.

Maybe the LF-A will truly be the "halo" the "F" brand needs for other "F" cars.

Why must we continue to confine Lexus in a box? Maybe Lexus sees there is a market for owners who want to pay big money for a car but don't understand stuck up dealers and ridiculous maintenance costs. The NSX proved it could be done. The GT-R is showing for 80k, it performs with the best of them. I truly question what the hell the other 100-300k in cost is for? An additonal .3 seconds or for prestige/looks and other variables that are not performance related?

Considering the economy that every car company is blaming failed or canceled projects on, we must give Lexus KUDOS for continuing to go forward with this car.

Old 04-23-09, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Who said anything about driving this car on public roads? You have to take it to the track, just like the 911 Turbo.
i've got a local fast go cart place, i'll just go drive that for grins.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)