LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 03:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
After a fairly lengthy hiatus, it looks as though Toyota has resumed development of its Lexus LF-A supercar. The LF-A hasn’t been spied in over a year, but the two-door coupe returned to Germany’s famed Nürburgring race track on Tuesday.

The global economic downturn reportedly hasn’t taken its toll on Toyota’s LF-A program, so it remains possible we could finally see a production version of the Lexus supercar later this year at the Tokyo Motor Show. However, Lexus plans on campaigning the LF-A later this month in the 24 hour Nürburgring race, so it remains possible that this prototype is simply a racecar variant.

Whatever the case, the car spotted today is using Toyota’s new 4.8L V10, tuned to produce at least 500 horsepower. Power is sent to the rear-wheels — size 305/30/20 – via a paddle-shifted transmission.

Toyota has stated the LF-A won’t enter production until it can best the 7 minute 30 second mark around the ‘Ring, so the May 23rd race could give us an indication of how close the LF-A is to production.

HUH?

1-
Dec 2007
A Lexus LF-A mule has unofficially recorded a lap time on the Nordschleife of 7 minutes, 24 seconds. This is not in dispute. What is in dispute is how many seconds faster the LF-A's lap time is than that of the 2008 Porsche 911 GT2, the previous "King of the 'Ring" record holder. Wikipedia notes that the fastest 911 GT2 driven around the Ring posted a lap time of 7 minutes, 32 seconds and was driven by Walter Röhrl, Porsche's company test driver and accomplished WRC driver and road racing pilot. Porsche was so proud of the feat that it produced a snazzy video of the run that you can watch here. AutoExpress, however, which reported on the LF-A's remarkable lap time, claims that the fastest 911 GT2 lap time on the Nurburgring is 7 minutes, 25 seconds, but we could find no evidence on the web of a stock 911 GT2 ever posting a time that fast. Also note that a handful of other cars have posted lap times, but all are either tuner cars or limited production boutique cars like the Pagani Zonda F.

2- The 24 hours of the Ring does not use the same layout on whichh cars are tested. It uses the ring plus the adjacent F1 track, which add a significant amount of distance (read:time) to a lap.
Old 05-12-09, 03:53 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys looked closely at the crystal LF-A, it had a LOT of cues that this new production LF-A has, mainly the lower bumper and the rear taillamps. You can make out how the headlamps look like in the crystal LF-A as well.

PS Sad they decided to use LF-A I's tail design and not the immensely sexy LF-A II's.
Old 05-17-09, 08:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The shape of the car has been significantly smoothed out just since the last concept that we saw. Notice the smoother rear end and the more pushed back wind shield.

Newest Mule

Most recent previous mule:
Agreed. The body has definitely been smoothed out and made more aerodynamic, which I think is directly related to achieving a higher top speed, as well as giving it a more aggressive appearance and possibly slightly higher fuel economy.

Also notice that the upper side intakes have been redesigned into a more sleeker, smoother and aggressive shape. Plus, they've put the rear diffuser on the car, where as with the Motor Authority pics we saw the car with the diffuser off.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wheel fitment doesn't look very aggressive.
The Nurburgring pics are misleading, because you are seeing the suspension under full compression which does not accurately show wheel fitment. Look at the Motor Authority pics when the car is standing still for a better indication of wheel fitment.

I don't know how aggressive people expect wheel fitment to be. The fitment is actually no less aggressive than on a stock Ferrari Enzo.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
HUH?
1-

2- The 24 hours of the Ring does not use the same layout on whichh cars are tested. It uses the ring plus the adjacent F1 track, which add a significant amount of distance (read:time) to a lap.
Exactly. There have been so many rumours about the car, I don't think any of these sites even know under what conditions the car will be released under. Rest assured, the production car will be able to achieve a 'Ring time under 7:30.

Also looking at the lap times during the 4 hour ADAC race at the 'Ring (which uses the full layout of the track including the F1 section) the LF-A's best lap was an improvement over last year. The best lap at this year's 4 hour race was equivalent to the lap times that Porsche GT3 Cup cars were posting. In that 4 hour race, I think the only two cars that posted faster lap times were a GT3 RSR and a modified Viper. Considering the LF-A ran in nearly stock production trim in the race, posting lap times as fast as a GT3 Cup is very promising.

The upcoming 24 hour race should prove very interesting.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
PS Sad they decided to use LF-A I's tail design and not the immensely sexy LF-A II's.
Huh? That's pretty much impossible. The LF-A I's tails mostly stretched across the rear decklid. The tails on this latest prototype clearly curve around the side of the car (like the LF-A II) and also likely curve slightly around the radiators (like the LF-A II). The tails cannot be of the LF-A I design since there are some small winglets in the way of where LF-A I style tails would be situated.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 05-17-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 12:02 AM
AllBlackon
Driver

drool
Old 05-18-09, 03:50 PM
xioix
Racer

The latest version looks pretty good
Old 05-18-09, 06:20 PM
xioix
Racer

And the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2ujHVRv-s
Old 05-18-09, 06:24 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
omgidie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-09, 07:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome! The car looks even more menacing in motion. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be a bit faster through the corners than earlier prototypes.
Old 05-18-09, 07:58 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

at the end it looked like it passed an Evora
Old 05-18-09, 08:17 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JessePS
at the end it looked like it passed an Evora
That's what I thought too. Toyota V6 compared to a V10 of almost twice the displacement.
Old 05-20-09, 12:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Certainly was an Evora. Consider that the Evora is a very good handling car, and can do 0-60 under 5 sec, yet in the video the LF-A flew past the Evora like it was nothing . It's quite obvious that the LF-A will have a 0-60 time well under 4 seconds, likely around 3 seconds flat. That along with some extremely well-balanced handling and monumental braking ability.
Old 05-20-09, 12:43 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Certainly was an Evora. Consider that the Evora is a very good handling car, and can do 0-60 under 5 sec, yet in the video the LF-A flew past the Evora like it was nothing . It's quite obvious that the LF-A will have a 0-60 time well under 4 seconds, likely around 3 seconds flat. That along with some extremely well-balanced handling and monumental braking ability.
i can just see the commercial for the LF-A.... have it driving around Stuttgart may'be do some donuts on Porsches lawn and have it say like "BOO"

2010/11 should be an interesting year... Ferrari F450, Porsche 998 Turbo/GT2 from the top of my head... Also you got a Gallardo and R8. It should be fun seeing these all being tested against the LF-A on Top Gear *keeps dreaming* **** why not put it up against a AM DBS V12

Last edited by JessePS; 05-20-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 01:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

LF-A didn't seem like it was on full boil in a lot of parts of the vid.

Engine sounds as sexy as ever though...a bit more guttural even
Old 05-20-09, 01:45 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? That's pretty much impossible. The LF-A I's tails mostly stretched across the rear decklid. The tails on this latest prototype clearly curve around the side of the car (like the LF-A II) and also likely curve slightly around the radiators (like the LF-A II). The tails cannot be of the LF-A I design since there are some small winglets in the way of where LF-A I style tails would be situated.
I meant mostly in relation to the the rear air vents. The LF-A 1 has long, vertical vents whereas the LF-A 2 has shorter, more horizontal vents.
Old 05-20-09, 02:18 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)