LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 10:31 PM
LexFather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEF0H...layer_embedded

Old 07-28-09, 08:52 AM
PsyFi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari just unveiled its F430 replacement the 458 Italia which not only looks better than the LFA but also has 570 BHP at 9,000 RPM with 3,100 lBS!
Also probably cheaper than 400K LOL!
Old 07-28-09, 09:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsyFi
Ferrari just unveiled its F430 replacement the 458 Italia which not only looks better than the LFA but also has 570 BHP at 9,000 RPM with 3,100 lBS!
The comparisons with the Ferrari are certainly going to be interesting to see. Audi has now priced the R8 V10 at less than $150,000 as well, and that has always proven to be a competent car but now has an extra 120hp. Lexus stated that the LFA was born in 2002 to counter the SLR McLaren but since then the playing field has changed substantially. As I said a few pages ago (and got flamed for), Lexus has had this car in development for so long that the competitors are really catching up. The 458 Italia is the first example of this, and certainly not the last.

Thing is with super cars, you can buy the GT-R for $80,000 or the Murcielago for $400,000 and their performance is only seperated by tenths of a second between the two of them. How do you justify the price of the Lamborghini when a Nissan costs almost five times less and offers the same performance? Styling, heritage, quality, personality, exclusivity, and character are the things that really sell each of them seperately and this goes nearly all of the top-end sports cars- ZR1, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc.

Considering that, I think the ultimate success of cars in this class depends half on performance and merit and half on heritage and character. Since the LFA has no heritage to deliver upon and will be establishing the precedent for Lexus sports cars, it's success is going to be based more heavily on the performance end of the spectrum. The car's character and personality will create the heritage and definition of what a Lexus exotic means in the future, but in the meantime I hope cars like the 458 Italia or R8 V10 aren't going to cast a shadow on Lexus' first attempt at challenging the best in the world.
Old 07-28-09, 10:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think the LF-A concept looks better than the 458. Looks are subjective.

The LF-A is NOT going to cost 400k.

I'll also go out on a limb, and say that the LF-A WILL outperform the 458. In fact, the LF-A will probably send Ferrari back to the drawing board to work very hard on the 458 Scuderia. Bet on it.
Old 08-04-09, 08:41 AM
PsyFi
Driver School Candidate

Since the LFA has no heritage to deliver upon and will be establishing the precedent for Lexus sports cars, it's success is going to be based more heavily on the performance end of the spectrum. The car's character and personality will create the heritage and definition of what a Lexus exotic means in the future, but in the meantime I hope cars like the 458 Italia or R8 V10 aren't going to cast a shadow on Lexus' first attempt at challenging the best in the world.
I say you create heritage and definition by making this car in a little more numbers and offer it at lower cost so that its somewhat visible. With only 500 units I doubt most of us will even see it. I really hope that 400K thing was just a rumor.

The 458 design has been met with almost universal praise. The LFA has lost some of its steam and I think Toyota needs to rethink some things. I say build more of them and offer them at in the mid to high 100s
Old 08-04-09, 04:43 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my take on the LFA is this. The reason why I am so interested in it is b/c I know lexus can build an outstanding car on any level as they have the track record to prove this. It is just my opinion, but I honestly do find the LS600hl better the rival S class and BMW 7 series on many fronts. Onviously each has their strenghts.

So the LFA is an unproven sports car in regards to performance? Maybe so, but the numbers so far are too hard to ignore that it will be right up there with the top performers and what I really like the most is that it will most likely be a lot easier to drive than the Ferarri ,Lambo or porsche (That is another thing, I could not stand driving one of those cars here in Japan, I would go mad due to traffic signals being on average 200 yards apart)

That is one of the reasons why I bought the IS-F, I wanted to see how well they did with a car that was after thought. Well... not only did they put together a car that matches their rivals in many ways , they did it with it out the time and the previous success / mistakes the other car manufactures had to learn from. If I was them, I would very worried right now if Lexus decides that it wants to tackle them in this area instead of kicking out car with very limited development.

So the LFA has taken this long to develope which tells me they really do want to make it a close to perfect in their eyes when they release. And please remember what some of public see as a success can be interpreted in many different ways. Untill it is released we will not know what their intensions really are. Obviously they are not looking to clean the floor with other super cars in performance, other wise they would have built something with a lot more power and lot less weight.

Anyway, make of the LFA as will , but in my book it will be a winner from what I have seen so far.
Old 08-05-09, 09:32 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say you create heritage and definition by making this car in a little more numbers and offer it at lower cost so that its somewhat visible. With only 500 units I doubt most of us will even see it. I really hope that 400K thing was just a rumor.

The 458 design has been met with almost universal praise. The LFA has lost some of its steam and I think Toyota needs to rethink some things. I say build more of them and offer them at in the mid to high 100s

That's still not going to help me afford one

I just hope I get to see one on the road, and I hope the driver gives me the privilege to witness its power at full WOT.
Old 08-06-09, 02:38 PM
DeTomaso
Rookie

Even though i would like Toyota to make more than 500 i dont think that would cut the price substantially. The materials the car is made of are just too expensive to market it under 200k. Toyota is not a social security company and they are not going to sell cars with huge losses just to please us. Asking 400k for a production car is way too much, even for supercars. Mercedes and Porsche thought they could get away with charging 400-500k for theirs, but they both failed to reach the sales expectations.
Anyway i would be really surprised, and disappointed, if the car would be priced north of 250.000 $.

Last edited by DeTomaso; 08-10-09 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 07:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus Europe's LF-A minisite has a video of the LF-A Crystallised Wind concept:

http://www.lexus.eu/about/concept-ca...one/video.aspx

And egmCarTech claims a pricing figure which is specific down to the single digits:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/10...the-us-market/

The 550-hp Lexus LF-A will be limited to 500 units with prices ranging from $223,820 to $303,756. The production model will debut at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show in Oct.
Old 08-10-09, 08:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
Lexus Europe's LF-A minisite has a video of the LF-A Crystallised Wind concept:

http://www.lexus.eu/about/concept-ca...one/video.aspx

And egmCarTech claims a pricing figure which is specific down to the single digits:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/10...the-us-market/
Supercar killer for a super-discounted price
Old 08-10-09, 08:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

That is a wild guess by egm, down to the digit to feign authenticity.
Old 08-11-09, 04:05 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
That is a wild guess by egm, down to the digit to feign authenticity.
The precise odd digits might just be a conversion from a broad guesstimate in a round figure in Japanese yen.
Old 08-12-09, 07:24 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

its official!!!!!
Old 08-12-09, 09:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DeTomaso
Even though i would like Toyota to make more than 500 i dont think that would cut the price substantially. The materials the car is made of are just too expensive to market it under 200k. Toyota is not a social security company and they are not going to sell cars with huge losses just to please us. Asking 400k for a production car is way too much, even for supercars. Mercedes and Porsche thought they could get away with charging 400-500k for theirs, but they both failed to reach the sales expectations.
Anyway i would be really surprised, and disappointed, if the car would be priced north of 250.000 $.
The Porsche Carrera GT did sell pretty well, surpassing most supercars at the time. Porsche ended production early due to new airbag regulations that would have cost a fortune to engineer for that car in 06. Still it sold 1270 units despite only a few years on the market and a 400K+ price tag which is very impressive and was considered successful. The Mercedes SLR did not sell to expectations and has been pretty much a failure sales wise, same with the Maybach, they are way too expensive and did not catch on with the public unlike the Carrera GT.

I still agree 400K is way too much for the LFA, over 200K is too much considering it is not even rear/mid engined and v10s are not very rare anymore, making only 500 seems almost kind of pointless considering all the work and research that went into it and that Lexus is a major brand. Maybe with the low production number Lexus is just doing what they did with the LS600h hybrid where they release extremely low sales predictions figures they can easily achieve and then when it sells above those very very low predictions they release a statement that it is selling past expectations like it is in high demand even if it is still selling in very very low disappointing numbers to hopefully increase consumer awareness and demand, basic marketing BS that some people will buy into including someone on here who always totes the LS hybrid sells beyond expectations(very very low that is) which automatically means it is successful or in high demand which it isn't.

If Lexus is able to sell 500 LFA's over time which is a pretty low number and should be achievable if they don't completely overprice it then they can claim it is a big success and need to make more to satisfy "high" demand. Some people will buy into it and it could actually increase sales and demand and enhance its legacy.

Still I am very excited about this car and am looking forward to it. I really hope they don't screw up the final version. I hope they stick to the old school aggressive stance like a exotic Supra replacement that we have been seeing going around the ring and not try to do something too trendy or different which will screw up the looks.
Old 08-22-09, 08:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am currently at my dealership waiting for an alignment and went up to see some of the salesmen since I used to work here. Conversation quickly turned to the LFA, which they gave me some surprising information on.

The sales staff has been told that the company can begin accepting pre-registration for LFAs, and that once the car begins production they will be sold based on selective registrations. I have heard that Ferrari does the same thing with a new launch. In other words, this isn't a "put your name on the list and wait" situation. You will have to register and then hopefully be selected.

The price estimate they have been given is $250,000.

The production allocation they have been told is 1,000 units for the US, but there could possibly be more depending on pre-registration numbers.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)