LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 12:26 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
ok guys... i dont want to interrupt your arguments ... but ... i thought this was a LFA UPDATE thread... not nsx - vs- lfa or definition of what an exotic is thread. ....

... just thinking aloud

on that note... i do hope they do some sort of live web broadcast ... hopefully in HD!!
Agreed!!! Thing is, with the definition of exotic being murky, it can become an argument real quick. That being said, like how a boat is defined as being able to fit on a ship but not vice versa, I think most people will agree the LFA is an exotic supercar.

As for the reveal, I'm afraid there might not be any live stream...anything would be great, but at this point I'm wondering if I have to get an update from CNBC reporters at the show.
Old 10-16-09, 04:41 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me add one more point to the borderline inane discussion: by definition, a mid-engine car is one whose engine lies within its wheelbase, period. Most people associate the term mid-engined with a rear-mid-engined car such as the "entry-level" V8 Ferraris, most Lamborghinis, Porsche Carrera GT, Boxster and Cayman and, yes, the Pontiac Fiero and Toyota MR2.

Yet, it is every bit as accurate (and they derive every bit of the handling and balance benefits) to consider front-mid-engined cars as such. By this I mean sports cars whose engines lie just behind the front axle line. Thus, sports cars such as the Honda S2000, 3rd-generation (NC) Mazda MX-5 Miata, Nissan 350Z/370Z, Ferrari 599 Fiorano and, yes, the Lexus LFA are every bit as worthy of being described as mid-engined as rear-mid-engined cars. And please note that I'm talking strictly in terms of engine placement and its inherent handling/balance benefits. I'm NOT entering a discussion about which mid-engined (be they front or rear) cars are worthy of the supercar exotic classification and which aren't.
Old 10-16-09, 08:06 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My goodness that is so illogical its not even worth refuting anymore. I'm sad people might actually read it.
........cliffs?
Old 10-16-09, 08:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

egzotic by the definition means exclusive, hard to get.

there are plenty of egzotics that were not great cars :-).
Old 10-16-09, 03:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I am sure the LFA will be the quickest and highest performing sports car to come out of Japan if it beats the Nissan R390 and GTR V spec and one of the most desirable but it will not be the most significant performance car or be as big a deal as the NSX or Datsun 240Z. They may not be nearly as quick or expensive but they were so groundbreaking when they were released and a huge deal and I seriously doubt the LFA will have their legacy or impact.
Strictly your opinion, and nothing else.

I would say a decent amount of cars and trucks with v10 engines and not just a handful, most with those v10s were/are not considered supercars or exotics or more exotic then a v6 NSX. Formula 1 uses v8s now, no longer v10s.
How many of those vehicles you listed with V10 engines are internal combustion, naturally aspirated, gasoline engines that rev to 9000 RPM? Don't respond, because I'll answer it for you; the answer is NONE of them. The LFA engine is totally unique in this regard. The only engine that comes closest to the LFA would be the Carrera GT's engine.

There were thousands and thousands of NSXs sold over the years. That is why it is NOT an exotic. An exotic by definition has to be rare and exclusive (among other things), and the NSX was definitely not rare nor was it exclusive.

No other car could really match the performance of a Porsche 959 or F40 at the time, does that mean those two were the only two exotics or supercars because nothing could really touch them performance wise?
The Corvette ZR-1 has front-mounted radiators, a supercharged V8, less than ideal weight distribution, only parts of the car are carbon fiber, and a conventional manual rear-mounted transmission.

That is far from having any similarities with an F1 car, and the 'Vette ZR-1 apart from being front engine and having 4 wheels really has very few similarities to the LFA.
Old 10-16-09, 03:37 PM
LexFather

I've actually been laughing all day thinking about how the "diss" list for the LF-A is naming other V-10 equipped vehicles. In a debate, you don't bring up a point that can easily be attacked if your stance is even poorer.

That would be the V-6 here. If you are going to list every V-10 vehicle, than we should list every V-6 equipped vehicle and say the same ridiculous message "its not exotic b/c it has a V-6".

So to be funny, lets name some V-6 cars, using this completely flawed logic
Malibu
Sonata
Camry
Accord
Fusion
Impala
TSX
ES 350
C230
IS 250
Tacoma

What else has a V-6

Old 10-18-09, 01:56 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

3 days until the lfa is unveiled

-.... i wanted that in caps, but the forum seems to auto - lower case it..

3 days!!!

Last edited by GiantsFan; 10-18-09 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-18-09, 08:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Its almost here
Old 10-18-09, 09:40 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
3 days until the lfa is unveiled

-.... i wanted that in caps, but the forum seems to auto - lower case it..

3 days!!!
Actually 2 days since Japan is ahead of us timewise.

Too many restrictions of Club Lexus huh?
Old 10-18-09, 02:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Actually 2 days since Japan is ahead of us timewise.

Too many restrictions of Club Lexus huh?
So what time is the US time for the lexus presentation?
Old 10-18-09, 06:22 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently there is going to be two models or types if you will that you can choose from. I also heard that the entire body will be carbon fiber. Still no word on the weight though...
Old 10-18-09, 07:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Apparently there is going to be two models or types if you will that you can choose from. I also heard that the entire body will be carbon fiber. Still no word on the weight though...
So it's a coupe and a convertible? Still total of only 500 units ? And two different prices too ?
Old 10-18-09, 07:12 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Roadster/Coupe?

CF body/Al Body?

hmmmmmmm
Old 10-18-09, 07:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reports were, as stated before, 1 'standard' model and 1 'track-ready' / racing spec model.
Old 10-18-09, 07:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Reports were, as stated before, 1 'standard' model and 1 'track-ready' / racing spec model.
I think this is most likely to be the case, but we shall see.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)