LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 07:25 AM
Revman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My read on the shape of the scoops is that they are a show car item to stimulate interest/discussion. There will be scoops, but they won't look like that in my mind. If you look closely, they complete an arc which runs from the back up camera/mirror. That camera/mirror will go, and so shall the shape of the scoop. I have no inside information, just my 2 cents.

Revman
Old 04-14-07, 11:31 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

In regards to the engine at one end and the radiator at the other, this is a fairly common occurance. When you look at the various rear engine configurations, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, etc they all have the radiators in the front and piped back to the engine. No reason they couldn't go the other way. The only concern is adeqate insulation to the passenger area so we don't get cooked.

Good air flow in to the radiators and back out again is critical as well for maximum heat removal particularly when slogging through traffic.
Old 04-18-07, 03:59 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder who will be the first company to tune the LF-A, be sweet to see it with like 700-800hp or some like monstrous 1500 hp
Old 04-19-07, 03:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by JHStrange
In regards to the engine at one end and the radiator at the other, this is a fairly common occurance. When you look at the various rear engine configurations, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, etc they all have the radiators in the front and piped back to the engine. No reason they couldn't go the other way. The only concern is adeqate insulation to the passenger area so we don't get cooked.

Good air flow in to the radiators and back out again is critical as well for maximum heat removal particularly when slogging through traffic.
You mean like every MR2 ever made? Radiator in the front, engine in the rear?
Old 04-19-07, 10:05 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You mean like every MR2 ever made? Radiator in the front, engine in the rear?
Ok but the main reason for doing that is because air doesn't circulate to rear engine cars very well. LF-A is a front-mid engine design.
You forgot most Porsche's too.
Old 04-19-07, 11:02 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

I hoped the "etc." would cover all the other cars out there what have the radiator in one end and the engine in the other. No offense intended to those not listed.
Old 04-20-07, 12:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I was pointing at Toyota's direct experience with piping coolant to the other end of the car with great success and not roasting their passengers. Sure exotics do it, but come on, there were more MR2s produced than just about all the exotics combined. They used to be as common as dirt in California.
Old 04-20-07, 07:29 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pointing at Toyota's direct experience with piping coolant to the other end of the car with great success and not roasting their passengers. Sure exotics do it, but come on, there were more MR2s produced than just about all the exotics combined. They used to be as common as dirt in California.
But I don't really know the point of radiators in the rear on a front engine design. For weight distribution I suppose but couldn't they think of a better way? The SLR has 50/50 weight distribution from their front-mid design.
I suppose it pulls heat away from the engine bay as well having radiators away from the engine.
Old 04-20-07, 09:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There's more to rotational control than just 50/50 weight over the wheels. Polar moment of inertia could easily be why they choose this solution. Regardless, all the reasons they've done what they did will be in the New Car Features manual when they finally release the car.
Old 04-20-07, 10:13 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Excellent point! I always admired the MR2s
Old 04-20-07, 11:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

There's more to rotational control than just 50/50 weight over the wheels. Polar moment of inertia could easily be why they choose this solution. Regardless, all the reasons they've done what they did will be in the New Car Features manual when they finally release the car.
I agree. Plus, there are subtle aerodynamic principles at play when you're talking about the high speeds the LF-A is capable of.
Old 04-28-07, 07:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Lexus confirms new Supercar will have Hybrid Version

Lexus confirms new supercar to be hybrid
Friday 27 April 2007

Lexus is near to completing development for its first ever supercar and although top brass are remaining extremely tight-lipped on the subject, we can reveal that the new car will most likely feature a newly developed 5.0L V10 engine pumping out in excess of 500hp. We can also confirm that there will be a hybrid version, with earlier reports suggesting Lexus will use the V8 engine from the new IS-F combined with an electric motor. Lexus gave the automotive world an idea of what its supercar could look like when it unveiled its second LF-A concept car pictured above at this year’s Detroit Auto Show.

A senior Lexus staffer in the UK, Steve Settle, who spoke with Motor Trader mentioned that the new car is being designed from the ground up, “something entirely different.” He then gave further evidence that there will be a hybrid model, explaining “it promises to set a fresh standard in the hybrid technology to which Lexus is totally committed and we are very excited about it.”

To prepare for the launch of the LS600H saloon next month, Lexus’ UK division is flying out technicians to a special training seminar in Spain, a similar practice it did when launching the RX and GS hybrid models. We’re sure the same will be done when the new supercar arrives towards the end of the decade. A near-production version should make an appearance later this year at the Tokyo Motor Show.
via motorauthority
Old 04-28-07, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Motor Trader article :

Click : http://www.motortrader.com/24894/Lex...supercar.ehtml
Old 04-28-07, 07:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Pretty exciting stuff!!!
Old 04-28-07, 08:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WHAT?!?

A supersports car that has a turbocharged? V10, AND a hybrid (V8+electric) variant?!?

The original one will be purely a sports car. How can a hybrid, with it's heavier weight, be equally (of not more) sporty?

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)