LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 08:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

where did it say it was turbo. I guess the hybrid version will be just there to showcase technology, I dont predict it to be a good seller as the V10 one.
Old 04-28-07, 08:12 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

That's great more variants from Lexus but I think we need more variants of the IS model...

Last edited by Trexus; 04-28-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 08:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

This doesn't make any sense to me why they would make a hybrid version of what looks to be a very promising light weight sports car.

To me - hybrid = more weight = less sporty.

Last edited by Hameed; 04-28-07 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 08:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It will make sense if the next generation batteries are much smaller & lighter . . .
Old 04-28-07, 08:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Robarapta
It will make sense if the next generation batteries are much smaller & lighter . . .
Yes, definitely. Hopefully they will be much, much more lighter and smaller.
Old 04-28-07, 08:39 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
This doesn't make any sense to me why they would make a hybrid version of what looks to be a very promising light weight sports car.

To me - hybrid = more weight = less sporty.
agreed

Hybrid version..... maybe this is why it is alleged that they are trying to make this car as light as possible? [2600-2800lbs is the rumoured target].

Will it be a showcase for a smaller lighter next-gen hybrid system? Li battery technology? Different transmission technology for the hybrid car? Because supercar + CVT does not get my gears turning.... Looking forward to see what the V10 version is made of though.

Though a 700hp, 3200lb AWD? super-car with tons more torque than its V10 sibling could be quite interesting... can they make the sequential transaxle work with a hybrid system?
Old 04-28-07, 08:40 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

DAMN!!! It looks STUNNING!!!!! OMG.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
WHAT?!?

A supersports car that has a turbocharged? V10, AND a hybrid (V8+electric) variant?!?

The original one will be purely a sports car. How can a hybrid, with it's heavier weight, be equally (of not more) sporty?
I am with you on this. I don't like this idea of using hybrid to increase HP. Look at the 600h, it added so much weight to the car that its performance is on par with your LS. Weight is the enemy of hybrid, so if they can do it to the LF-A without significant weight gain, then YES by all mean go for it.
Old 04-28-07, 08:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Whatever happened to the days of raw sports cars.
Old 04-28-07, 09:02 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr
DAMN!!! It looks STUNNING!!!!! OMG.

I am with you on this. I don't like this idea of using hybrid to increase HP. Look at the 600h, it added so much weight to the car that its performance is on par with your LS. Weight is the enemy of hybrid, so if they can do it to the LF-A without significant weight gain, then YES by all mean go for it.
The LS600h also has AWD. So that adds a significant amount of weight as well.
The new Li-Ion batteries that they plan to use in the 3rd generation Synergy drives are supposed to be a lot smaller and lighter.
Old 04-28-07, 09:10 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still fail to see how a V8 + hybrid component will be heavier than a V10. (although it's possible if the V10 is near racing spec). If anything the V8 + battery and motor in the back will give better weight distribution.
Old 04-28-07, 09:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I am a bit doubtful of this rumour, because Toyota is dead serious about the performance of this car. If they can make a hybrid version, and still have it perform like a supercar, then most people won't mind it.

However, if there are any performance drawbacks to adding the hybrid system then it shouldn't be done, IMO.

Keep in mind the LF-A production car is supposed to be an "F" model, so it would make it even more strange as to why it would have a hybrid model. Has Toyota achieved some breakthrough in hybrid technology?

IMO it would make more sense to do a hybrid of the next-gen SC. The LF-A is the last car I would think of having a hybrid version.

I guess we will see what happens.
Old 04-28-07, 09:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Whatever happened to the days of raw sports cars.
A raw sports car does not fit the Lexus brand .
Old 04-28-07, 09:29 AM
LexFather

Guys, there will be 2 versions
1. V-10
2. V-8 +hybrid

Again, the hybrid will be a "SHOWCASE" of this technology. If its in $100,000 Lexus, well buyers will accept it even more in Toyotas.

Remember, Toyota promised a hybrid will be available in every single thing they make.

Kudos to them, its very risky and no other car maker is even close.

Funny how Honda teased us with a hybrid NSX and Lexus is showing they can when they said they can't.

Old 04-28-07, 09:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I still fail to see how a V8 + hybrid component will be heavier than a V10. (although it's possible if the V10 is near racing spec). If anything the V8 + battery and motor in the back will give better weight distribution.

exactly... using V8+Hybrid drive will be only slightly heavier than using V10, and it will have 2 significant advantages
1. Superior in-gear speed due to superior torque
2. Considerably better weight distribution (being able to achieve perfect balance).

Hybrid version could be overall sportier than V10.
Old 04-28-07, 09:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by spwolf
2. Considerably better weight distribution (being able to achieve perfect balance).
You're assuming that the LF-A will not be perfectly balanced weight wise to begin with (without hybrid batteries).

Yes, I know I am assuming it will be considering how high the stakes are for Lexus with this car, but I think that is a fair assumption.

Let's all keep on speculating!!! It's fun.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)