LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 06:12 AM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new short vid

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/video.php?illustration=165
Old 06-29-07, 10:11 AM
f.azim@gul
Driver School Candidate

Wow!
Two things are immediately noticeable:
The wonderful [!] exhaust sound and what appears to be incredible road holding without any sliding or body roll.

I think 0-60 time of 4.0 seconds is on the conservative side;
The IS 350 has been clocked at 4.9 secs; the IS-F will be likely in the mid to low 4 secs and the 500 hp LF-A [ sure to be lighter than the IS] would likely reach 60 in below 4 seconds;

Even if it is 4.0 to 60, the overall package seems extremely desirable.
Old 06-29-07, 11:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
Of course they all are.. certainly when they don't pick your model or brand.

Lets see if your feelings continue if/when the positive reviews come (as with the LS460)
IMHO, I haven't liked Car and Driver for years. To me, it really doesn't matter whether any Lexus or Toyota models do good in C & D comparisons, it still won't change my opinion of them. Even if Lexus and Toyota vehicles scored consistently well, it wouldn't change the fact that C & D's reviews or comparos are often criticized for being inconsistent, having numerous flaws, and sometimes just flat out not making sense. Hell, I would not even mind if BMW continually kept winning comparos, but it would have to be for good reason and for the comparo to be done in a consistent, thorough matter. A car that has brake problems, or say overheating problems should not be winning any comparo.

MT and R & T are somewhat better than C & D in terms of consistent, thorough comparos.

Originally Posted by Sup
Great vid. As with the Edmunds vid, it clearly shows the handling abilities this car has; it just cuts through corners like butter.
Old 06-30-07, 12:11 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Excellence!!!
Old 07-03-07, 12:42 AM
LexFather

V-10
Less than 5.0 liters
More than 500hp
200mph

What is there NOT to love????

Old 07-03-07, 12:44 AM
LexFather

That car has almost NO body roll. Damn it sounds good!

Old 07-03-07, 12:49 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

i hope they use those taillights, and base the production frontend off the 07 concept.
Old 07-03-07, 08:30 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

V-10
Less than 5.0 liters
More than 500hp
200mph

I totally whole heartedly agree with you Mike. We'll just have to wait and see what happens when it comes out. When it comes out people and critics have to give the LF-A a chance to prove itself, meaning give it time. I would say give it a year or two to prove to the world that Lexus can build a supercar...
Old 07-03-07, 08:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

I have no doubt Lexus can build a supercar.

All the credentials are there - the power, the handling (as seen in the vids so far). However the big question is whether they will be able to get the suspension/chassis tuning down pat - which we will only know once the car is available to the general public.

Anyone else wonder why Toyota has not scored an F1 victory yet? I am not an expert on F1 cars, but from the little I have read, it has to do with not so optimal chassis/suspension tuning.

Not trying to sound negative, but the competition it faces is waaay beyond what Lexus is known for - luxury and reliability.

It has more to do with the image ($200K image), and ofcourse the chassis/suspension tuning/steering feedback that Ferraris/Lambos/Porsches are famous for.

Having said that, I am rooting for Lexus to keep working at it and getting there eventually!
Old 07-03-07, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

V-10
Less than 5.0 liters
More than 500hp
200mph

The price!?
Old 07-03-07, 10:00 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

V-10
Less than 5.0 liters
More than 500hp
200mph

Add reliability and real warranty, and I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-03-07, 12:12 PM
f.azim@gul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hameed

Anyone else wonder why Toyota has not scored an F1 victory yet? I am not an expert on F1 cars, but from the little I have read, it has to do with not so optimal chassis/suspension tuning.

It has more to do with the image ($200K image), and ofcourse the chassis/suspension tuning/steering feedback that Ferraris/Lambos/Porsches are famous for.
Toyota has only now entered the F1 arena. It takes a lot of experience, excellent crew pit staff, experienced crew pit chief and a very large support structure to win F1 races. F1 races are not necessarily won by cars with the best reliability production engines. F1 races are won by a team and engines that have very little in common with the cars they produce for the masses. Renault is an example.

Mercedes is one of the least reliable cars made and yet they are leading Ferrari in the F1 Manufacturer's race this year. Ferrari themselves are not known for reliable everyday transporters.

Toyota will get there one day just like Honda did. Hopefully what Toyota learns in the process will filter down to their production models in some ways.

If suspension tuning and handling is all it took, Honda would be the Manufacturer's champion again this year and every year.
Old 07-03-07, 12:26 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by f.azim@gul
If suspension tuning and handling is all it took, Honda would be the Manufacturer's champion again this year and every year.
Maybe my comment implied that suspension/tuning is all it took to win F1 races, however, that was not what I meant.

I meant to say suspension/tuning is a very important part of winning races and that they needed to get that down pat to pass it on to the LF-A to be able to compete effectively with the Ferraris/Porsches/Lambos.

And for what it's worth, most people that buy Ferraris/Lambos etc, reliability is not high on their concerns. Prestige, image, looks and pedigree are very much higher in the pecking order.
Old 07-03-07, 12:45 PM
xioix
Racer

All the credentials are there - the power, the handling (as seen in the vids so far). However the big question is whether they will be able to get the suspension/chassis tuning down pat - which we will only know once the car is available to the general public.

Not trying to sound negative, but the competition it faces is waaay beyond what Lexus is known for - luxury and reliability.

Having said that, I am rooting for Lexus to keep working at it and getting there eventually!
I believe it was last year or the year before, where Toyota did quite well in F1, getting in the top of the grid most of the races, and I believe getting pole position, but it was the drivers and the pit chief that didn't get them to win the race or finish top 3
Old 07-04-07, 06:26 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

And for what it's worth, most people that buy Ferraris/Lambos etc, reliability is not high on their concerns. Prestige, image, looks and pedigree are very much higher in the pecking order.
Yes, and people looking for those cars will buy them. Lambo and Ferrari needn't worry about losing those sales.

But for the group of buyers who want a car with that type of performance but who want to use it for a daily driver - those will be the buyers that Lexus is competing for. Aston Martin and Mercedes will be the worried ones. My $0.02.

Oh, and FWIW, Lambo and Ferrari owners talk about the reliability of their cars every day. It's a very common concern/conversation. Those 3 month long, $21K tune ups/clutch replacements, etc.. do get their attention too.

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 07-04-07 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)