LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 09:09 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's another pic from Pebble Beach

Old 08-21-07, 09:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

From the side I like the LF-A (LF-1 now? ). But that front with the 'sting ray, shark' like mouth is horrible.

It's not even close to the beauty of an Aston Martin for example.

But no doubt the performance will be incredible, and will have the exotic makers worrying some. But then again, the NSX came out, was definitely a WOW car back then, but I don't think it dented Ferrari, Lamborghini and other high end exotics too bad.
Old 08-21-07, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
From the side I like the LF-A (LF-1 now? ). But that front with the 'sting ray, shark' like mouth is horrible.

But no doubt the performance will be incredible, and will have the exotic makers worrying some. But then again, the NSX came out, was definitely a WOW car back then, but I don't think it dented Ferrari, Lamborghini and other high end exotics too bad.
The NSX never offered the kind of performance or overall package the LF-A is supposed to offer. Back when the NSX debuted, Acura and Honda had very little prestige. Lexus now has much more reputation and prestige than Honda or Acura did back then. The NSX was branded a Honda in some markets, and an Acura in other markets causing some branding inconsistency.

Ferrari will always be Ferrari. Same with Lambo. What the LF-A *will* do is wonders for the perception and reputation of the Lexus brand and of Toyota in general. It will also likely set a new overall standard for supercars.

The Supra for example had a bigger impact on the market than the NSX did. The Supra almost single-handedly brought credibility and respect to import drag racing among many other things. And the Supra is certainly no LF-A. The NSX was an amazing car, but it did not have the huge effect on the market. The V6 engine brought very little prestige.

A V10 engine like the LF-A will have, no matter what it's performance is, will carry more prestige than the V6 from the NSX.

As for the LF-A styling, we have yet to see the final production car's styling. Oh and FYI, the LF-A I and II concepts have both been almost universally praised and adored by people wherever they show up. So you are in a very small minority in terms of hating it's styling.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-21-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 11:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

really? I like that design on the LF-A... I think those rows of LEDs would look wicked at night (assuming they make it to production and I think they will esp. since Audi already has DRL LEDs on a number of cars and Lexus only has one vehicle with LEDs in the front)
Old 08-22-07, 12:30 AM
Bildilla
Driver

To Lexus!

From My!

Please keep the backend from the LF-A mkII.
Kill the ugly front on the mkII.

Tanks!!
Old 08-22-07, 07:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Supra for example had a bigger impact on the market than the NSX did. The Supra almost single-handedly brought credibility and respect to import drag racing among many other things. And the Supra is certainly no LF-A. The NSX was an amazing car, but it did not have the huge effect on the market. The V6 engine brought very little prestige.
Now you are stretching it. First of all NSX and Supra were never direct competitors but they did have impacts but again in different markets.

NSX changed the game when it comes to exotics. Ferrari benchmarked NSX for it's everyday use and reliability and then came 355 and after came even better 360. NSX is the first modern exotic; goes fast, handles and drives as a race car, very lightweight and looks extraordinary, yet you can use it everyday because it is reliable. Even today there are exotic manufacturers that can't catch up with NSX as a total package (Aston Martin, Lambo, Lotus).

Supra became an icon when street tuning commercialized and that is long after it disappeared from the US market. It was one hell of a car coming from golden era of Japanese sports cars. But it gets more credit now than it did back then.
Old 08-22-07, 11:30 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
Now you are stretching it. First of all NSX and Supra were never direct competitors but they did have impacts but again in different markets.

NSX changed the game when it comes to exotics. Ferrari benchmarked NSX for it's everyday use and reliability and then came 355 and after came even better 360. NSX is the first modern exotic; goes fast, handles and drives as a race car, very lightweight and looks extraordinary, yet you can use it everyday because it is reliable. Even today there are exotic manufacturers that can't catch up with NSX as a total package (Aston Martin, Lambo, Lotus).

Supra became an icon when street tuning commercialized and that is long after it disappeared from the US market. It was one hell of a car coming from golden era of Japanese sports cars. But it gets more credit now than it did back then.
The Supra raised the game for sports cars. It too was a very good performer, being able to hang with Ferraris and Porsches, but it was very reliable and had a refined comfortable interior. It also changed the game for styling as Ferrari for example admitted that the Gen 4 Supra influenced some of the styling on their cars.

The 355 and 360 are still nowhere near the reliability of an NSX, so even if Ferrari benchmarked the NSX, they failed. Before the NSX many supercars had big reliability problems; after the NSX supercars still had, and continue to have big reliability problems. There are very well documented problems with the McLaren SLR, Ferrari and Lambo reliability problems are well known and continue to exist, and that is just to name a few.

Again, the NSX didn't have as much of an impact as it could have because Honda and Acura brands at the time had very little prestige and reputation.

The Supra (and it's 2JZ engine) have become icons of import drag racing.

Even if we say the NSX and Supra had equal impacts on the market, the point I'm trying to make is that the LF-A will have a bigger impact than either of them, especially if Toyota takes the LF-A racing at places like Le Mans.
Old 08-22-07, 11:58 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Supra raised the game for sports cars. It too was a very good performer, being able to hang with Ferraris and Porsches, but it was very reliable and had a refined comfortable interior. It also changed the game for styling as Ferrari for example admitted that the Gen 4 Supra influenced some of the styling on their cars.

The 355 and 360 are still nowhere near the reliability of an NSX, so even if Ferrari benchmarked the NSX, they failed. Before the NSX many supercars had big reliability problems; after the NSX supercars still had, and continue to have big reliability problems. There are very well documented problems with the McLaren SLR, Ferrari and Lambo reliability problems are well known and continue to exist, and that is just to name a few.

Again, the NSX didn't have as much of an impact as it could have because Honda and Acura brands at the time had very little prestige and reputation.

The Supra (and it's 2JZ engine) have become icons of import drag racing.

Even if we say the NSX and Supra had equal impacts on the market, the point I'm trying to make is that the LF-A will have a bigger impact than either of them, especially if Toyota takes the LF-A racing at places like Le Mans.
Don't many exotics have a recommended tune-up of every like 5-10k miles?
Old 08-22-07, 12:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Don't many exotics have a recommended tune-up of every like 5-10k miles?
Something like that. And we're not just talking oil change. I know Ferraris and Lambos specifically require a general/overall maintenance tune-up every several thousand miles. From what I hear (people that own Lambos and Ferraris) their cars need a major repair every 15-20K miles or so.

The NSX and Gen 4 Supra (although it wasn't a supercar) were and are both unique in that they're very reliable and can follow similar maintenance and tuning intervals as an Accord or Camry.
Old 08-22-07, 12:17 PM
Koma

Something like that. And we're not just talking oil change. I know Ferraris and Lambos specifically require a general/overall maintenance tune-up every several thousand miles. From what I hear (people that own Lambos and Ferraris) their cars need a major repair every 15-20K miles or so.

The NSX and Gen 4 Supra (although it wasn't a supercar) were and are both unique in that they're very reliable and can follow similar maintenance and tuning intervals as an Accord or Camry.
If I was the world's richest man I still wouldn't buy an exotic because of the short intervals of maintenance.
Not because I care about the money (if I had the money) it would just be a hassle. I'd rather have something incredibly reliable. This is why Lexus makes so much more sense than other luxury brands.
Old 08-22-07, 01:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
If I was the world's richest man I still wouldn't buy an exotic because of the short intervals of maintenance.
Not because I care about the money (if I had the money) it would just be a hassle. I'd rather have something incredibly reliable. This is why Lexus makes so much more sense than other luxury brands.
I've heard lots of stories about people coming in to do repairs to their ride to the local Ferrari dealership in my area and boasting about how much money they spent on their last repair. It becomes a status/ego thing when two rich guys start arguing about how much they spent to repair their Ferraris.

You're right, it is a big hassle. If I had a supercar, then I would definitely want to drive it most of the time, instead of being always at the dealer half the time with the car getting a tune up or major repair work done.
Old 08-22-07, 01:28 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Looks good outside but I hate how the lines, just like on the IS, get very muddled around the wheel wells.
Old 08-22-07, 02:32 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

new vid here
Old 08-22-07, 02:48 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
new vid here
seems very well balanced *drools* adios ferrari
Old 08-22-07, 08:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
new vid here
Thanks for the vid. Engine sounds as mean as ever!

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)