LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 04:37 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know how they could make that determination. from the info i have, toyota and lexus have a block with a lot of unveils going on, with no specific clarification on which company has what. it could easily be in there and it could be that they just want to keep it on the DL, or are holding back until really close to the date. ill be there either way though im sure we'll see something.
Old 10-05-07, 06:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
i dont know how they could make that determination. from the info i have, toyota and lexus have a block with a lot of unveils going on, with no specific clarification on which company has what. it could easily be in there and it could be that they just want to keep it on the DL, or are holding back until really close to the date. ill be there either way though im sure we'll see something.
exactly, that article was pure speculation
Old 10-05-07, 07:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely pure speculation. We haven't heard a single official word yet from Toyota about what models or concepts will be shown at Tokyo. An LF-A production car could easily be a surprise unveiling.
Old 10-05-07, 08:54 AM
LexFather

I would think its almost ready. This is a big auto show and only happens every 2 years, so time is crucial here.

Old 10-05-07, 03:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would think its almost ready. This is a big auto show and only happens every 2 years, so time is crucial here.
Exactly. The Tokyo show only occurs every two years now, and Toyota knows how important the Lexus brand is for the Japanese market. Toyota would be silly not to show a production or concept Lexus at this year's show. It's too early to show the 2009 RX, and other than the RX the only other Lexus model AFAIK far enough along in development is the LF-A. The only other possibility is showing the IS Coupe/Convertible.
Old 10-05-07, 04:52 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

youre assuming the IS coupe / convert even exists.

all we can do is wait and see. i too expect to see a finalized lf-a. toyota has a LOT of new unveils scheduled.
Old 10-05-07, 05:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me (or not ) but an IS coupe is definitely coming and 99% an IS convertible is coming as well. The coupe is already a guaranteed thing, ask any Lexus insider.

You're right though, Toyota will definitely have a LOT of unveilings. Keep in mind that historically when Toyota unveiled surprising or market-changing products they usually kept quiet and thus kept it a surprise until right before the unveil.

Notice how we're hearing lots about the GT-R, and from the smaller Japanese automakers but nothing yet from Honda or Toyota regarding the Tokyo show. They both have some big unveils that will be happening.
Old 10-06-07, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
youre assuming the IS coupe / convert even exists.

all we can do is wait and see. i too expect to see a finalized lf-a. toyota has a LOT of new unveils scheduled.
As TRD stated, it does, it will be a 2009 model.

Old 10-06-07, 07:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gosh I hope Lexus brings something out at Tokyo...
Old 10-10-07, 12:03 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Some confirmation we will see the LF-A at Tokyo:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/10/t...lf-a-to-tokyo/

Lexus is being very vague. The release does not say if this will be the LF-A II we've seen, or the LF-A concept further refined. What's interesting is that Lexus now confirms the body is made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic just like F1 machines are.
Old 10-10-07, 10:45 AM
xioix
Racer

LF-A being made of carbon fiber, that will definitely be a $170k+ car
Old 10-10-07, 10:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A carbon fiber body on the LFA would help greatly in their quest for a 2800lb curb weight. Can you imagine a 500-550hp sub 3000lb car with gearing perfectly matched? (unlike the Z06). Not to mention the exhaust note similar to an F1 car
Old 10-10-07, 11:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's very likely that the production LF-A will have a carbon fiber body, and that will surely silence the critics who say there is no way this car will come in under 3000lbs curb weight. Yes this will be a very expensive car, but also keep in mind it will be a fully exotic luxury supercar. Considering the price range this car will be under, I expect we will see some dazzling technology and an awesome interior.

If you currently think of all the supercars on the market with a carbon fiber body; the LF-A will cost only a fraction of what those machines cost.

Carbon fiber body tells me Toyota is going all-out with this project and that they won't be cutting corners on this. It makes sense too since the production car will become the flagship of the company itself. It will be a halo vehicle for Toyota worldwide.
Old 10-10-07, 11:54 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

well its not straight carbon fiber.. sounds like a composite.. but either way, a good sign for the car.

its too early to count chickens though. the SLR is composite and weighs ~3800lbs. even the carrera gt weighs ~3100lbs. the enzo weighs ~3000lbs. personally, I dont see it weighing 2XXX...

its real competition however, will probably be the 911 Turbo/GT2, Audi R8 V10, AM V8, etc....and it should weigh less than all of them.
Old 10-10-07, 12:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Lexus press release says carbon fiber reinforced plastic, also known as CFRP. This is the exact same material used in Formula 1 cars.

The Corvette Z06 weighs in slightly under 3200lbs, and it doesn't even have a fully carbon fiber body.

The SLR is just a bad case of engineering; no reason why it should be so heavy.

The LF-A will have a V10 no more than 5.0L in displacement. The Enzo has a heavy 6.0L V12 engine, and even the Carrera GT has a 5.7L V10. The LF-A engine will likely be the lightest of the group.

Carrera GT weighs in at 3042lbs. Also, I believe the LF-A is a bit smaller dimensions-wise compared to a Carrera GT. It's not a stretch at all to see how Toyota can achieve a curb weight below 3000lbs.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)