LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 07:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
CFRP is lighter, stronger, more durable, etc. It can also be molded to form (going by what the 787 is doing).
ahh... so then why go full CF like the Konigsegg?
Old 10-10-07, 07:28 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trdfantasy, i agree its possible to achieve lexus refinement and porsche gt2 like performance sub 3k lbs but i dont think it will be done at a $120k price point in volume if lexus intends on coming close to break even.

you might give examples of how its possible, but i could also explain how its not and we could go forever until the car comes out. or we can agree to disagree and see what happens. at the end of the day i concede its physically possible but dont think lexus will be doing that.....
Old 10-10-07, 08:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I think this car will come in closer to $140,000 than $120,000. Just considering the price of the LS 600hL, it can reach the $120,000 mark when loaded and the new LX will also take a considerable price hike considering that the Land Cruiser has done the same.
Old 10-10-07, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer
How much is that car though? $400,000? Minimal luxury and tons of focus on low weight.

As for price I'm with MP here, I smell $140k. It is a V-10.

I wonder, if the V-10 makes the GS, why not the LS as well?

Old 10-10-07, 08:26 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Honestly I think this car will come in closer to $140,000 than $120,000. Just considering the price of the LS 600hL, it can reach the $120,000 mark when loaded and the new LX will also take a considerable price hike considering that the Land Cruiser has done the same.
yeah i could see that, but still hold my thoughts at that price point.

btw its interesting to me how the lfa, r8, 911s, etc are moving through f430 territory. im not sure i could see myself getting one of those vs a f430/scuderia if i were in that segment. but i guess on the flip side, getting the f-cars isnt as easy..
Old 10-10-07, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
yeah i could see that, but still hold my thoughts at that price point.

btw its interesting to me how the lfa, r8, 911s, etc are moving through f430 territory. im not sure i could see myself getting one of those vs a f430/scuderia if i were in that segment. but i guess on the flip side, getting the f-cars isnt as easy..
A lot of people want something different or don't want the "image" of being a Ferrari owner. Its weird reading all those forums. A lot of richer folks "rational" side simply is tired of their most expensive car, always breaking down.

And a lot either have had great experience with Lexus before and simply moved on as $$$$$ got larger.

I just watch, don't post. I think the LF-A will get some of those old buyers back and some new ones.

Looking at the luxury market, there is more money out there than ever and the luxury market has not gotten hit like the sub-luxury market.

I think the car will sell easily.

Old 10-10-07, 08:46 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

yeah i agree itll sell and the market is large enough... its just interesting regardless. it wasnt too long ago that this would have been unheard of, yet here we are.
Old 10-10-07, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

So this car won't be a hybrid or will it? If not, why not? I thought Lexus was showcasing HSD for performance?

And this car's going to be expensive! (My guess $150k and up)
Old 10-10-07, 08:49 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

personally i doubt im sure others will tell you yes. (i think the hybrid lf-a is parked next to the stick is350 and is350coupe lol)

question: whats the typical weight gain between hybrids and nonhybrids?
Old 10-10-07, 09:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How much is that car though? $400,000? Minimal luxury and tons of focus on low weight.

As for price I'm with MP here, I smell $140k. It is a V-10.

I wonder, if the V-10 makes the GS, why not the LS as well?
yeah i know that's why I'm asking why go for CF over CFRP? I mean, enigma said CFRP is lighter.

personally i doubt im sure others will tell you yes. (i think the hybrid lf-a is parked next to the stick is350 and is350coupe lol)

question: whats the typical weight gain between hybrids and nonhybrids?
Battery is about 99lbs. Then add the (smaller) inverter, two electric motors, reduction gear and various wires. Say 200-250lbs?
Old 10-10-07, 09:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

trdfantasy, i agree its possible to achieve lexus refinement and porsche gt2 like performance sub 3k lbs but i dont think it will be done at a $120k price point in volume if lexus intends on coming close to break even.

you might give examples of how its possible, but i could also explain how its not and we could go forever until the car comes out. or we can agree to disagree and see what happens. at the end of the day i concede its physically possible but dont think lexus will be doing that.....
1) I don't think this car will be as cheap as $120k

2) Who said Lexus will be trying to break even? They can AFFORD not to even bother to try.
Old 10-10-07, 11:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure, this article seems to equate CFRP with cf itself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphit...forced_plastic
Old 10-11-07, 08:23 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma888
Not sure, this article seems to equate CFRP with cf itself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphit...forced_plastic
Hmm... odd. lol. Carbon fibre is woven cloth that's baked at high temps no? I was under the impression CFRP was a mix.. a composite.

Oh well...
Old 10-11-07, 08:39 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... odd. lol. Carbon fibre is woven cloth that's baked at high temps no? I was under the impression CFRP was a mix.. a composite.

Oh well...
CF uses a resin to harden the woven material. So yes you're correct. I'm not an expert on CFRP though so I don't know what the difference between CF and CFRP are supposed to be.
So my guess is that the overall term "carbon fiber" tends to be given to anything that is used with it. So when you think Koeniggsegg that's a CFRP body even though people call it a full CF body. A full CF body would be threads of CF.
So in the case of the LF-A: CF = CFRP.
The processes might be different though, I know that dry carbon fiber is much lighter and weighs less than regular wet CF (CF with resin).

Last edited by Koma; 10-11-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:00 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

I think CFRP is just the correct name for what we've been calling carbon fiber just as FRP (fiber glass reinforced plastic) is what we refer to as fiber glass.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)