LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
time to be skeptical: i dont really see this car mattering.

this car will probably be produced in exceptionally small numbers, so only those who are very well connected or are not very concerned with price will own it. but then if you have that kind of cash you probably also have-or have the ability to have- any number of other cars such as cgt, mcmerc, etc.

so it wont be out there... but also it means nothing to the brand. the lf-a or lf-1 or whatever it will be called will not influence the rest of the brand. the gt-r for instance faces a lot of these issues but you can bet the Z and other cars will benefit. and its technology will push the brand, at the minimum- among enthusiasts- in machines they will own. it will also benefit the industry.

the lf-1 will not. the basics of its platform will not be shared. nor will the basics of its powerplant...or pretty much anything else. not only will it not be shared but nothing will be remotely similar. it is unlikely to push its competition very hard in directions they weren't going in anyway. so yes it could be great, but again how will it matter?

the only way i see it mattering is if you are simply a lexus enthusiast (in particular).

otherwise, it could be a great car. but as far as impact goes, i dont see it.
so while i very much look forward to the car's debut, im very skeptical that it will really matter.
lol, some entire BRANDS don't matter.
Maybe its not about pushing the competition, but pushing Lexus to new boundaries. The LS 600h L has proven people want super expensive Lexus vehicles. This would be the 2nd such vehicle.

With this car, you then have a INCREDIBLE halo for the brand that goes down to the IS-F, future F cars and even the less sporty GS and IS. Similar to how the LS 600h L (and and uber flagship) gives the brand the luxury and prestige halo.

I am with you somewhat, that the world simply isn't ready or on edge for a Lexus super car.

Old 12-22-07, 03:30 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
time to be skeptical: i dont really see this car mattering.

this car will probably be produced in exceptionally small numbers, so only those who are very well connected or are not very concerned with price will own it. but then if you have that kind of cash you probably also have-or have the ability to have- any number of other cars such as cgt, mcmerc, etc.

so it wont be out there... but also it means nothing to the brand.
It's a halo car. It exists primarily to promote the brand, even as a loss leader, and it will be extremely significant to Lexus especially as they (apparently) intend to expand the F marque to multiple vehicle types, not just the IS. Like the IS-F, it represents what the company is capable of. It's a complete change to go from reliability and quality to making a statement about engineering and development capability as regards performance.

Now obviously we haven't had anything official about the price but the media reports so far put it around 170k-200k. If that's to be believed, it's a lot less than cars you mentioned above, like the Carrera GT and SLR.

Of course I am one of those Lexus enthusiasts you mentioned, but I am very interested in the LF-A. And some of the reasons are the reasons why I'm a Lexus enthusiast, and it's important to make the distinction between cause and effect.
Old 12-22-07, 05:20 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess i can see what you guys are saying..

esp the comment that some brands dont matter lol. its taken hyundai a while but now they have their new genesis and it looks to be a winner... and should pressure the industry.

btw by pricing i was referring to the fact that if lexus limits production as much as was commented on earlier, the real price will not be anywhere near $170k.. and in addition to that, because there are so few slots, you'd really have to be well connected. so the average buyer who might look to spend $250k on a car could easily be excluded... and you end up marketing to people looking to spend a lot more than that. and at that point, you do have other cars to consider.

the same thing is happening with the audi r8 and looks to be happening with the gt-r.

the world's largest/most profitable car maker should be capable of a lot. but because of the directions theyre moving, i still cant help but feel skeptical. we'll see i guess.

i must say the car is very cool though. i still cant wait to see it.
Old 12-24-07, 08:24 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I'm getting less and less interested as time goes on, despite having a deposit on an LF-A.

If the price creeps up to $200K, I'll just buy a Ferrari, or Aston Martin. If their purpose in building this car is to produce a RELIABLE exotic, I'm on board. If they just want to produce another exotic, whatever. Lots of them out there, all with their pluses and minuses, all with their different personalities.

The biggest question for me is what will the LF-A's personality be. If it meshes with mine, I'll own one. If it's just a me-too car, then isn't going to happen.

HP isn't enough by itself. If it was, we'd all buy 800HP rice rockets for far less money. These cars have to be special. Almost magical in their attraction. Traffic stoppers. That's what makes a true exotic.
Old 12-28-07, 11:07 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Default Lexus LF-A Unseats Porsche GT2

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/28/l...ng-of-the-ring

handing the porsche gt2 and nissan gt-r their asses back.
Old 12-28-07, 11:13 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Uh oh!!! Today the world has changed forever!
Old 12-28-07, 11:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

double trouble from japan, GTR and LF-A
Old 12-28-07, 11:29 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

battle of the supercars has officially begun.

Charley
Old 12-28-07, 11:29 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just hate how the lf-a is so mysterious
Old 12-28-07, 11:31 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

wow it's even quicker than pagani zonda F (7.27)
Old 12-28-07, 11:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Um...wow. Lexus, let's do this already.

COME ON!
Old 12-28-07, 12:00 PM
Koma

Mods merge with the stickied LF-A thread please?
Old 12-28-07, 12:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

LF what?

I forgot already.
Old 12-28-07, 12:09 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, i just looked at the car, it is truly beautiful.
as a nissan fan for a few years now, id have to say honestly that i prefer the lf-a styling over the new gt-r styling, by far.

Charley
Old 12-28-07, 12:15 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Its too bad the LF-A will be a lot more expensive than a GT-R .. o well heh

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)