LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 04:33 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I know of the few torque tube'd cars I've had.

The "driveshaft" is contained within the torque tube. The torque tube itself is a like a hollowed out tree trunk if you will that connects the engine block to the transmission or transaxle. They significantly strength the car and also shield delicate driveshafts (like CF composite).

One of the best aspects:
you can literally drop the engine/torque tube/transaxle all out in one fell swoop. Makes working on it a freakin' wonder.

That V10 = teh sex.

I will have parse this threads tea leaves for more information.

This would be a more interesting choice than a ZR1.

Last edited by okcfunky; 03-25-08 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 05:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by okcfunky
From what I know of the few torque tube'd cars I've had.

The "driveshaft" is contained within the torque tube. The torque tube itself is a like a hollowed out tree trunk if you will that connects the engine block to the transmission or transaxle. They significantly strength the car and also shield delicate driveshafts (like CF composite).

One of the best aspects:
you can literally drop the engine/torque tube/transaxle all out in one fell swoop. Makes working on it a freakin' wonder.

That V10 = teh sex.

I will have parse this threads tea leaves for more information.

This would be a more interesting choice than a ZR1.
Well said. Another way to compare it to regular vehicles is that most vehicles simply have a driveshaft and that's it.

A vehicle with a torque tube has the driveshaft encased inside the tube. Thinking of the tube as a tree trunk is an interesting analogy. In other words, the driveshaft is protected where on most other vehicles it wouldn't be. Aside from transfering torque, the tube acts as a strong structural member through the middle of the chassis significantly strengthening the chassis and making it stiffer.

I'm interested in the ZR-1 just to see what sort of traction issues it will have. The Z06 already has traction issues and the ZR1 makes a lot more power than the Z06.
Old 03-25-08, 05:47 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I doubt it. That video is a video of a video . The sound quality is not that great. The IS-F does not sound so high-pitched though, and if you focus on the gear changes and the way the engine is revving it definitely sounds different than the IS-F. I'm 99% sure the soundtrack is from the LF-A's V10.

Lexus also had a video posted a few years ago of the original LF-A concept, where the V10 engine was heard.
I know it is a video of a video, and it does sound a little high pitched to be the IS-F, but it has a kind of V8 rumble especially around the gear changes which makes me think that the sound was definitely not the V10. Sounds distinct from when it's at the track.
Old 03-25-08, 08:25 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

TRDFantasy,

your definitely not the only to wonder that about the ZR1.

I have faith that they will have programmed the mag shocks to react to a WOT command in order to help squat and weight transfer to the rears. I'm hoping they don't load that car with as much torque management (read rear-end protection from torque) as the current C6Z06. The current Z06 is surprisingly docile when it's "under control" and driver movements are smooth. Anything abrupt however and your ****'d . Smooth smooth smooth is the order of the day.

What's drawing my interest to the LF-A vs. a ZR1 is that for the markup the enthusiasts are expecting on the ZR1 (very significant percentage increases, multiples yatta yatta), some other options force consideration, and will provide a vastly more unique experience. Numbers are numbers, but not everything is a numerical engineering exercise.

Besides... there will be crate engines of the ZR1 engine available as well as the transmission and brakes; so why another vette ?
Old 03-25-08, 09:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I know it is a video of a video, and it does sound a little high pitched to be the IS-F, but it has a kind of V8 rumble especially around the gear changes which makes me think that the sound was definitely not the V10. Sounds distinct from when it's at the track.
I see what you're saying, but I still think it's the V10 engine. Wouldn't make sense to use an IS-F soundtrack. Plus, we have the V10 soundtrack from the link I posted at post #1096.
Old 03-25-08, 10:01 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

What about the youtube video of the LF-A running at the 'ring?

It reminded me greatly of a Formula 1 V10.
Old 03-25-08, 10:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by okcfunky
What about the youtube video of the LF-A running at the 'ring?

It reminded me greatly of a Formula 1 V10.
Yes, there are several videos out there where you can hear the LF-A's V10. It reminds of me a Formula 1 V10 as well, and that should come as no surprise since the LF-A uses a lot of F1 technology and expertise.
Old 03-25-08, 10:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking through some old Road and Tracks and Car and Drivers...and this car has been talked about and rumored for nearly eight years now, as crazy as that sounds.

All the mags in 99 and 2000 talked about a super exotic Toyota/Lexus supercar that was in the near future...as a 2002 model, then a 2004, 2005 we got the concept, now it's freakin 2008. Lexus needs to be careful that the hype on this car doesn't run out. IMO, it was really at its peak about two years ago. Now people are starting to get sick of being strung along...
Old 03-25-08, 10:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I was looking through some old Road and Tracks and Car and Drivers...and this car has been talked about and rumored for nearly eight years now, as crazy as that sounds.

All the mags in 99 and 2000 talked about a super exotic Toyota/Lexus supercar that was in the near future...as a 2002 model, then a 2004, 2005 we got the concept, now it's freakin 2008. Lexus needs to be careful that the hype on this car doesn't run out. IMO, it was really at its peak about two years ago. Now people are starting to get sick of being strung along...
I agree that Lexus needs to stop with the hype and just deliver the product already. At the same time, Toyota has never made a vehicle like this before. It's completely new territory so they are taking their time to make sure they get it right the first time and work out the kinks.

I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the production car, as long as Toyota goes completely silent on the hype and then surprises everyone with the production car.

We can't really believe mag rumours from years ago as there have been loads of outrageous magazine rumours over the years. For example, the R35 GT-R was rumoured to come to market since the late 1990s. However, we can go by when the LF-A concept was first introduced, and that was over 3 years ago.
Old 03-25-08, 10:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The cars they will be competing against and trying to benchmark- Porsche 911 Turbo and Carrera, Ferrari F430, Lamborgini Gallardo, Mercedes SLR, etc- are all now getting long in the tooth and that should worry Lexus. We know they have at least been working on this car since 2003/2004 and the absolute soonest we might see release for the LF-A is 2009.

It's great that Lexus is putting in so much time and effort to make sure that things are right, but these are moving targets and that should not be forgotten. No doubt the forthcoming Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis will be faster and better than the cars Lexus has tried to benchmark over the last 4 years, in a car that literally now looks that old to many of us. Sexy yes, but we have been looking at one form or another of LF-A for a while now.

Sorry to say it but I think they are really on the verge of losing momentum and any remaining excitement for the car. It's like blue *****...awesome until you're left hanging for way too long.
Old 03-25-08, 10:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I feel the production LF-A will still manage to surprise us. A comparison can be made between the LF-A and the GT-R.

If we are to go by the "unofficial" time recorded by an LF-A mule at the 'Ring, then Toyota's goal from the beginning was to exceed the competition by quite a margin. I'm pretty sure Toyota knew they would be competing with moving targets.

The GT-R concept was originally shown years ago with a lot of hype. The hype seemed to go up and down as Nissan showed an updated concept, then showed the GT-R Proto.

A lot of enthusiasts were worried that the GT-R excitement would lose momentum when the production car came out. So far, it looks like the GT-R hype and excitement is stronger than ever.

Personally, I wish Lexus had never shown the LF-A Roadster, but what's done is done. Any more LF-A concepts beyond this point would certainly be a bad move I think.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-25-08 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 10:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I feel the production LF-A will still manage to surprise us. A comparison can be made between the LF-A and the GT-R.

The GT-R concept was originally shown years ago with a lot of hype. The hype seemed to go up and down as Nissan showed an updated concept, then showed the GT-R Proto.

A lot of enthusiasts were worried that the GT-R excitement would lose momentum when the production car came out. So far, it looks like the GT-R hype and excitement is stronger than ever.
Not saying that you aren't right but the GT-R also enjoys a cult like following of people around the globe, and Nissan also let various details trickle out here and there...enough to keep the fans happy and alive.

When Lexus showed an exotic concept in 2005 (along side the GT-R Proto), it was a huge deal and a lot of people were shocked and excited to think about the production car that was sure to follow. Well here we in the middle of 2008 with no promise of production and a very vague cloud surrounding the car, while the GT-R details have been coming in for months and confirmed production cars are arriving here very soon. People outside of Lexus don't really care about this car anymore because it's just old news now. The GT-R's heritage, history, and promise threatened Porsche fans, BMW aficionados, Corvette junkies, and all of the like so many of these people and boards talked about the Nissan long before it ever arrived. LF-A is an upstart and has everything to prove, and for that reason Lexus should be more proactive with concepts, information, and in turn PRODUCTION.

The GT-R hype started long before Tokyo 2005 but it definitely took off then and has been pretty constant since then thanks to fans and the company itself.

Lexus has thrown itself a big ole party, and almost forgotten to formally show up. Time is very quickly running out.
Old 03-25-08, 11:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Let's hope Lexus has been paying attention to this thread and is working overtime to roll out the production car .
Old 03-28-08, 02:34 PM
burton159
Driver

stoked cant wait
Old 04-04-08, 07:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So what is the ETA of the LF-A? I'm anxious to see what this car can really do.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)