LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 01:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooo i like this one

i'll take 6 in assorted color combinations
Old 04-15-08, 01:52 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

but wait...are those tri exhaust tips really attached to the bumper or just covers?!
Old 04-15-08, 02:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

We just need this to come out already. I keep asking my sales guy to get the dealership to start a damn list so I can get on it.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
1- It is. 7.24...only thing faster are race cars and kit cars.
As much as an LF-A fan as I am, this was a preproduction mule that likely weighs a lot less than the production vehicle.
Old 04-15-08, 02:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
As much as an LF-A fan as I am, this was a preproduction mule that likely weighs a lot less than the production vehicle.
Why would it weight a lot less than the production car? It doesn't make sense. Think about it through common sense; it would be in Toyota's best interest to make the mules as close as possible to the production car's weight. Making the mules weight a lot less than the production car would dramatically change the handling behaviour of the car. That means during testing and development, the mules would behave a lot differently than the production car. For testing and development purposes, it would strongly be in Toyota's interest to make the mules imitate and mimic the production car as closely as possible.

Also as mentioned before in another thread, the mules do not have production body panels or finalized aerodynamics. The mules have temporary body panels with aerodynamics intended to mimic the production car. Most definitely the aerodynamics will evolve and be further refined for the production car, which means a good chance that the production car may be faster than the mules.

Instead of using camouflage like most automakers, Toyota went to great lengths to put custom temporary body panels onto the mules *just* for testing and development.

Considering all this effort to closely mimic the production car, I highly doubt the mules weight a lot less than the production car will.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-15-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 02:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If you look closely at the pics of the two mules, there are some minor bodywork differences on them compared to previous mules. There are some slightly different mirrors, different hood vents, and what appears to be some sort of sensor instrument attached to the rear of at least one of the mules. Also, some of the pics show the mules with the rear glass slightly ajar, as if it's a hatch. Interesting what the purpose of that could be.
Old 04-15-08, 05:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the looks of the LFA although I was not a big fan of that convertable version. It has a nice old school sports car look instead of something too new and different and I am glad they stuck with kind of a old school Supraish look. 170K seems really high and may hurt its sales as there are alot of more established exotic cars/brands in that price range. I think starting at 120K and topping out around 135K would be a smarter pricing point and even then that is still very expensive. It may be good looking and very fast but at well over 100K most people in that market unfortunately shop and buy mainly based on brand/prestige/history when they spend that kind of money and Lexus does not really have that type of image at that price point. It will be interesting to see if people will be choosing the LFA over Aston Martins, Porsches, Ferraris, Masserati's, etc. I hope people give the LFA and upcoming NSX a chance even though it seems they are going to be very expensive instead of just going for the more prestigious more established expensive brands.
Old 04-15-08, 05:54 PM
dr Lu
Driver

170K?? wow..that could get you a LS460 daily driver and a GT-R weekend car hehe

i'll prolly look into a used one..in 2020 lol
Old 04-15-08, 07:17 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet exotic!
Old 04-16-08, 05:22 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I like the looks of the LFA although I was not a big fan of that convertable version. It has a nice old school sports car look instead of something too new and different and I am glad they stuck with kind of a old school Supraish look. 170K seems really high and may hurt its sales as there are alot of more established exotic cars/brands in that price range. I think starting at 120K and topping out around 135K would be a smarter pricing point and even then that is still very expensive. It may be good looking and very fast but at well over 100K most people in that market unfortunately shop and buy mainly based on brand/prestige/history when they spend that kind of money and Lexus does not really have that type of image at that price point. It will be interesting to see if people will be choosing the LFA over Aston Martins, Porsches, Ferraris, Masserati's, etc. I hope people give the LFA and upcoming NSX a chance even though it seems they are going to be very expensive instead of just going for the more prestigious more established expensive brands.
Well I know I'd choose a Lexus definitely over Ferrari, Maserati or Lambo. Those cars need to be in the shop for regular tune ups far too often. I'm hoping with Lexus' reliability (even with a high strung V10) will not need to be maintenanced that often. Even if I was filthy rich I'd rather not have to be bothered having to bring a car in that often. It also makes you look smart even if you have money.
Old 04-16-08, 06:58 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing if and when the LF-A comes out. I can not wait to see what Top Secret will do to it. I hope they turn it into something that can eat the Veyron.
Old 04-16-08, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
At this point, I might have enough money to buy it by the time it is sold, lol
Except you'll be too old and stiff to get in and out of it.
Old 04-16-08, 09:47 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I have heard that the LF-A is close for us 2010 but I forget where I got that from recently.
AHHHHHHHH BUT WHO WILL CHAUFFER ME!!!
one day no license any more it will be permanent revocation.
Old 04-16-08, 09:49 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If you look closely at the pics of the two mules, there are some minor bodywork differences on them compared to previous mules. There are some slightly different mirrors, different hood vents, and what appears to be some sort of sensor instrument attached to the rear of at least one of the mules. Also, some of the pics show the mules with the rear glass slightly ajar, as if it's a hatch. Interesting what the purpose of that could be.
Good observations. I'm still puzzled by the odd protrusion just below the door toward the back. It seems to mirror the vent. I noticed it on the earlier mules as well.
Old 04-16-08, 10:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Might as well start the GT-R comparisons since that will come up anyway You could buy two GT-R's and have change with the price of the LF-A and by then the GT-R aftermarket would have grown tremendously. I can't wait to see what a GT-R on aftermarket twins will do like two PT67DBB or bigger.

All in all I love the LF-A and can't wait for it to come out
I SERIOUSLY doubt, you will see any GTRs with twin PT67s. First off, thats 1.9L per turbo, which would equal about ~5000-5500rpm? full boost times. I mean SINGLE 2jzs only get full boost around 4500rpms and thats with more than 50% more displacement (per turbo). Secondly, there's not enough room in the engine bay to run turbos of that size.
I'm pretty sure it will be single kits for the GTRs that make big power.

Last edited by Bean; 04-16-08 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 10:17 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

Why would they do suspension and aerodynamic tuning with a car that has a big difference in weight? Makes absolutely no sense. If anything, the final version will be faster

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)