LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 06:20 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the info, XeroKOOL.

Now I wonder, what are the pros and cons of a rather audacious race debut like that? Would traditionally careful and reserved Toyota and Lexus execs go for such a move? It sounds somewhat risky.

...but exciting if true!

btw what are those red letters (?) the brakes are stamped with...?
Originally Posted by XeroK00L
True, but as long as the car can truly outperform the competition, who cares. Might actually help sell Lexus's lesser, 8-speed-automatic-equipped models.
I suppose you're right. It's competition is more of the luxo-GT supercar class. 599, Aston V12s.

Some would still try to compare it to the GT-R just because they're the halo cars of each respective Japanese brand.
Old 04-16-08, 06:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am absolutely stunned. I'm sure not even the biggest Toyota and Lexus fans were expecting to this; to see a mule of a race-spec LF-A already being tested. I was thinking how awesome it would be to see a race spec LF-A just yesterday, and these pictures pop up today, just incredible!

Some people have been (unreasonably) concerned and critical of the LF-A, doubtful of the 7:24 unofficial time a mule set last year.

As stated in another thread, Nissan's goal may very well be to beat the LF-A with hardcore versions of the GT-R, but Toyota is not standing around. This race spec mule shows Toyota is dead serious about competing with the best supercars in the world, including the GT-R or any variants of it.

Once again, like the pics of the mules posted recently, if you look closely there are numerous changes. The obvious changes are the huge rear wing, the front end aerodynamic changes as well as different headlights and tails. If you look closely, the headlight arrangement looks suspiciously similar to the LF-A II and LF-AR concepts .

Also, compared to the "regular" LF-A mules that surfaced again recently, notice that this race spec mule has a different radiator setup behind the mesh of the rear ducts. The regular mules, including those seen last year had some parts there visible behind the mesh, this race spec mule does not.

As pointed out already, the mule also has a race-spec gas fuel cap on the side of the car. Most interesting is what you can see inside the interior; look very closely and you can see Recaro seats, no passenger seat and a roll-cage .

Further, the brake discs differ from previous LF-A mules; they look like racing brakes. Previous LF-A mules have also not had brake calipers labeled with Brembo, which means these are different units and most likely race-spec Brembo calipers.

As for what Motor Trend says, I would be HIGHLY skeptical. MT has been horribly wrong in the past, especially about Lexus/Toyota products so I will not trust what they say. Lexus themselves say the LF-AR and LF-A II concepts have an SMT transmission and V10 engine. I'm pretty sure the N/A V10 and SMT are guaranteed to be in the production model. I would be shocked if they wouldn't. It's definitely possible Toyota may have experimented with different powertrain variants, but that probably had more to do with the rumoured hybrid variant than the regular model, even if true.

As for a hybrid LF-A variant, don't be surprised. Why else do you think the Supra HV-R was made; it was not just as a show of Toyota's technical prowess and hybrid superiority, but likely also a test-bed of sorts for a production hybrid sports car or hybrid supercar.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-16-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 06:21 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I can't wait to hear this baby roar
Old 04-16-08, 06:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am absolutely stunned. I'm sure not even the biggest Toyota and Lexus fans were expecting to this; to see a mule of a race-spec LF-A already being tested. I was thinking how awesome it would be to see a race spec LF-A just yesterday, and these pictures pop up today, just incredible!

Some people have been (unreasonably) concerned and critical of the LF-A, doubtful of the 7:24 unofficial time a mule set last year.

As stated in another thread, Nissan's goal may very well be to beat the LF-A with hardcore versions of the GT-R, but Toyota is not standing around. This race spec mule shows Toyota is dead serious about competing with the best supercars in the world, including the GT-R or any variants of it.

Once again, like the pics of the mules posted recently, if you look closely there are numerous changes. The obvious changes are the huge rear wing, the front end aerodynamic changes as well as different headlights and tails. If you look closely, the headlight arrangement looks suspiciously similar to the LF-A II and LF-AR concepts .

Also, compared to the "regular" LF-A mules that surfaced again recently, notice that this race spec mule has a different radiator setup behind the mesh of the rear ducts. The regular mules, including those seen last year had some parts there visible behind the mesh, this race spec mule does not.

As pointed out already, the mule also has a race-spec gas fuel cap on the side of the car. Most interesting is what you can see inside the interior; look very closely and you can see Recaro seats, no passenger seat and a roll-cage .

Further, the brake discs differ from previous LF-A mules; they look like racing brakes. Previous LF-A mules have also not had brake calipers labeled with Brembo, which means these are different units and most likely race-spec Brembo calipers.

As for what Motor Trend says, I would be HIGHLY skeptical. MT has been horribly wrong in the past, especially about Lexus/Toyota products so I will not trust what they say. Lexus themselves say the LF-AR and LF-A II concepts have an SMT transmission and V10 engine. I'm pretty sure the N/A V10 and SMT are guaranteed to be in the production model. I would be shocked if they wouldn't. It's definitely possible Toyota may have experimented with different powertrain variants, but that probably had more to do with the rumoured hybrid variant than the regular model, even if true.

As for a hybrid LF-A variant, don't be surprised. Why else do you think the Supra HV-R was made; it was not just as a show of Toyota's technical prowess and hybrid superiority, but likely also a test-bed of sorts for a production hybrid sports car or hybrid supercar.
Great observations and insights. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 04-16-08, 06:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Great observations and insights. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for the write-up!
A few more thoughts: I think those may be the production headlights under disguise. We can also basically picture what the production tails will look like. We already know what the shape will be from the cut-outs on the bodies of the mules.

I also predict we will see the LF-A compete in Le Mans, Super GT, or possibly in other race series. Further, I do feel that a hybrid LF-A is a definite possibility.

Incredible times for Japanese car fans, both Nissan and Toyota are being relentless right now competing and developing the LF-A and GT-R further. Acura needs to show off it's next-gen NSX soon, in concept form or at least a disguised mule otherwise Acura might be left in the dust.
Old 04-16-08, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

LF-A 'Space' version was seen testing at NASA in preparation for possible trips to Mars. This version of the LF-A would be released around 2037. It will be about $340 million which NASA spokesperson Buz Lightyear described as a "bargain".

In other news the LF-A "John Deere" edition was spotted at a farm in Iowa. It is rumored to be able to cut grass at 185mph and costs only $410,000. A mulching option will be available for $30,000.
Old 04-16-08, 06:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LF-A 'Space' version was seen testing at NASA in preparation for possible trips to Mars. This version of the LF-A would be released around 2037. It will be about $340 million which NASA spokesperson Buz Lightyear described as a "bargain".

In other news the LF-A "John Deere" edition was spotted at a farm in Iowa. It is rumored to be able to cut grass at 185mph and costs only $410,000. A mulching option will be available for $30,000.
No pic = no truth.
Old 04-16-08, 06:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I can't tell if you're making a joke or a criticism.
Old 04-16-08, 09:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
I routinely play the 'ring video that has that V10 screaming by... makes me happy
hahahah +3
Old 04-16-08, 09:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
The 7.24 is UNOFFICIAL and the GT-R times are OFFICIAL. We are comparing OFFICIAL times to UNOFFICIAL times. I am a fan of the LF-A but before you defend it, lets see what it can really do when it hits production. The car isnt in production yet and things will change as it heads towards production.
So the 7.25 by the V-spec is official, and the LF-A's 7.24 is not? Suuuuure

Old 04-16-08, 09:57 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I'm dissapointed to hear about the 8speed auto, but my while my inner pessimist is saying "frikin lexus" , my inner skeptic says;

The transmission has long been reported to be a transaxle unit. It would take a LOT of reworking to put the 8 speed in there and mess up weight balance, packaging etc. Maybe the just added a gear to the 7 speed SMT that was allegedly being used?
Old 04-16-08, 10:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I'm dissapointed to hear about the 8speed auto, but my while my inner pessimist is saying "frikin lexus" , my inner skeptic says;

The transmission has long been reported to be a transaxle unit. It would take a LOT of reworking to put the 8 speed in there and mess up weight balance, packaging etc. Maybe the just added a gear to the 7 speed SMT that was allegedly being used?
Or ... MT is flat out wrong which has been the case many times before. I simply cannot see Lexus using the 8 speed auto. As far as I can tell, the LF-A's design does not permit the use of the 8 speed auto.
Old 04-16-08, 10:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The ONLY official time between the GT-R and LF-A is the 7:38 the GT-R recorded at the Nurburgring. The 7:25 time for the V-Spec is NOT official, nor is the 7:24 time for the LF-A.

If anyone here is going to criticize the LF-A's time as being unofficial, then the V-Spec's time also cannot be taken seriously.
Old 04-17-08, 02:00 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I can't tell if you're making a joke or a criticism.
I think he's joking. There is a lot of anticipation here, a lot of buildup, I am very excited as well. It's up to Lexus to deliver, that's what's needed. Bring it on!

I think the LF-A will continue to elevate Lexus in the luxury arena, but they have to get it done right first. Naturally expectations are high, but too high and we risk being disappointed. I am hoping that they can do something like an IS-F level effort or better at the supercar level. The IS-F, the first F-marque vehicle looks to have a strong chance for success and I hope the LF-A will also.

One thing, I wonder if there will be an LF-A vs. LF-A F. My impression from the press conference for the LF-A II was that all LF-As will be F-badged vehicles. Is it possibly badged GT-F?

Last edited by encore888; 04-17-08 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 06:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
I think he's joking. There is a lot of anticipation here, a lot of buildup, I am very excited as well. It's up to Lexus to deliver, that's what's needed. Bring it on!

I think the LF-A will continue to elevate Lexus in the luxury arena, but they have to get it done right first. Naturally expectations are high, but too high and we risk being disappointed. I am hoping that they can do something like an IS-F level effort or better at the supercar level. The IS-F, the first F-marque vehicle looks to have a strong chance for success and I hope the LF-A will also.

One thing, I wonder if there will be an LF-A vs. LF-A F. My impression from the press conference for the LF-A II was that all LF-As will be F-badged vehicles. Is it possibly badged GT-F?
For the most part I do agree that expectations are very high, and hopefully Lexus will do the right thing by not unveiling any other LF-A concepts, but making the next unveil the production car.

At the same time, IS-F expectations were high, and I'm sure everyone can agree the IS-F has matched expectations, if not exceeded them for some.

I'm quite sure none of us expected to see a race-ready version of the LF-A running around in Germany right now being tested. Despite the very high expectations, I believe Toyota has not yet shown all of its cards and still has a few surprises left with the LF-A.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)