LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 08:09 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I think he's joking. There is a lot of anticipation here, a lot of buildup, I am very excited as well. It's up to Lexus to deliver, that's what's needed. Bring it on!

I think the LF-A will continue to elevate Lexus in the luxury arena, but they have to get it done right first. Naturally expectations are high, but too high and we risk being disappointed. I am hoping that they can do something like an IS-F level effort or better at the supercar level. The IS-F, the first F-marque vehicle looks to have a strong chance for success and I hope the LF-A will also.

One thing, I wonder if there will be an LF-A vs. LF-A F. My impression from the press conference for the LF-A II was that all LF-As will be F-badged vehicles. Is it possibly badged GT-F?
That's the impression I got too. Maybe an LF-A "Carbon" or something like that?

Anybody care to be on what it's Final name will be?
In for LF-1. Bernie be damned.
Old 04-17-08, 09:53 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are those faux vents in the back?

what's the deal with all those vents on a front-mounted engine.........
Old 04-17-08, 09:57 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
are those faux vents in the back?

what's the deal with all those vents on a front-mounted engine.........
The radiators are in the rear. Some of those vents are probably for the brakes as well. Rumor has it that the transmission is mounted on the axle, transaxle (ala GT-R) so maybe to cool the transmission coolers as well.
Old 04-17-08, 11:44 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fast Lane Daily noticed the spyshots in their video, and referenced an Auto Express story which supposedly puts down the racing debut rumors:

http://www.fastlanedaily.com/episode/fld_20080417

Yet, this Auto Express story dated today states otherwise:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lexus_lfa.html

Lexus LF-A
Here are the first pictures of the aggressive racing version of the Lexus LF-A.

Is Lexus finally on track with it's supercar-rivalling LF-A?. Our spies caught this special racing prototype testing at the famous Nurburgring.

Although a production version of the exciting 200mph two-seater is due until 2009, performance fans will get a glimpse of a competition version this year.

Sources within the company claim that the V10-powered coupe is set to make its public debut in May's Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race.

As you can see, the car has been tweaked to give it an edge on the circuit. At the front is a deeper front bumper with larger holes to aid high-speed cooling.

Move around to the rear and you'll spot the tall carbon fibre rear wing and large triple exhausts above a F1-style diffuser. All of this modifications should mean that the LF-A laps considerable quicker than the rumoured 7 minutes 24 secs of the road-based prototype.

However, underneath the all-black bodywork are near standard mechanicals, as engineers at the company are aiming to prove the relaibility of the production car drivetrain.

The newcomer will make its debut on the grid during qualifying for the German event on 23 May.
Old 04-21-08, 07:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Lexus LF-A confirmed for Nurburgring 24hr race

Posted on Monday 21 April 2008
Lexus LF-A confirmed for Nurburgring 24hr race

Toyota has confirmed via its Japanese press site that its upcoming Lexus LF-A supercar will contest the Nurburgring 24 hour endurance challenge – dubbed the 36th ADAC Zurich 24h Race 2008 – in Germany next month. This will be the first public debut of the new supercar although details about the final production model are expected to be kept secret.

A prototype of the racing-spec LF-A was spotted recently at the Nurburgring and as these spy images reveal the car has a number of new features never before seen on previous test-mules. Some of the key changes include the addition of a chunky GT wing, bigger wheels and brakes, a new bodykit with oversized intakes and front-mount canards. Other changes include smaller race-style side mirrors, revised headlamps and a lower ride height. Inside, there’s a full roll-cage and carbon-fiber panels.

Engineers are not aiming to win the race but plan to use it to obtain useful feedback for further development of the production car, which is due towards the end of the decade. Nissan’s GT-R has clearly upset the applecart in the Japanese performance car stakes but it’s heartening to see that Lexus is so committed to the LF-A program that it’s willing to race pre-production mules.

The race event will take place during the weekend falling between the 22nd and 25th of May.

Source
Old 04-21-08, 09:39 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I guess its good, that their are just entering the race for feedback.
Old 04-21-08, 10:59 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good news, entrance into the race---however somewhat patience-testing news, 'end of decade' -- well it's 2008, so 2009 would qualify hopefully?
Old 04-21-08, 11:37 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Great news about the Nurburgring race. Sounds like they've set the right expectations too; in for developement not to win but I'm sure they want to do well.
Old 04-21-08, 01:14 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet is in the $140K starting price range... to $170,000 fully optioned.
Old 04-21-08, 01:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Official Press Release of the LF-A's Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race entry.
http://www.toyota.co.jp/jp/news/08/Apr/nt08_0412.html

Google Translation:
http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-21-08, 03:30 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Hmmm, interesting option. Me like it, and I look forward to the 24hr of Nurburgring and the LFA will definitely be a treat to see.

Transaxle setup is quite friendly to work with. But for their cooling, I wonder what type of pumps they are running for their diff and transmission...
Old 04-21-08, 05:24 PM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Motorauthority is carrying the news as well...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...ing-24hr-race/
Old 04-21-08, 06:20 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Man it is not humanly possible for this car to take longer.

I'm just wondering how close to production the body panels on the mule are since, as I stated earlier, they are so far away from the changes the last two concept cars made, and are closer to the first LF-A concept. I know XeroKool said how concepts are just design exercises but I will be seriously pissed if they released two better looking concepts with tweaked (and more production ready) front and rear ends just to release a production car that goes straight back to LF-A 1 concept.

On the other hand, it is good to see Toyota taking this car so seriously. It takes some extra work to get a Lamborghini/Ferrari caliber car up to Lexus standards of reliability and ease of maintenance.
Old 04-21-08, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
It takes some extra work to get a Lamborghini/Ferrari caliber car up to Lexus standards of reliability and ease of maintenance.
Acura did it what, 20 years ago? The NSX was ground-breaking in MANY ways.

The race entry is great news and will definitely give Lexus some great feedback.

But in those pics the car looks like a patchwork of pieces and parts, which doesn't leave me holding my breath for a release any time soon, unless a 'regular' LF-A is close, and some kind of 'race' edition is what's further off.
Old 04-22-08, 06:47 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Video: LF-A racer testing at Nurburgring

Sounds like a F1 race car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OB85hwb2_r4

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)