LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Your GT-R will never sound like that
For only half the price I'm not surprised.

Plus, I no longer understand seriously fast road cars that are not AWD.
Old 04-23-08, 12:02 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the proto here representative of the street model or is this one modified for the endurance race? It does sound sweet, indeed.
Old 04-23-08, 12:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought a lot about the GT-R/LF-A debate and I guess I would sum it up like this.

At 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4mile in the mid 11's...there isn't really a whole lot faster that you can get with almost any car. Cars with more and less power get these same numbers, IMO, hit a wall of sorts, and that wall is right around the mid 3 second mark for acceleration.

I wouldn't think the LF-A will be a whole lot faster than the GT-R just because it takes Veyron-style ability and power to topple "the wall".

Lexus just needs to focus on building an exotic performance car with exotic looks to match the credentials. A high revving V10, looks to die for, carbon fiber body structure, ceramic brakes, etc are all things that the GT-R doesn't have. I have seen people talk about the GT-R as if because of it, nobody will ever buy another Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, R8, or Porsche. Even when considering cars like these, numbers aren't everything. The cache, design, and emotion that these cars create is what sells them. Lexus seems to be keeping that in mind, and while Nissan did a great job with the GT-R, it's not the be all, end all of the automotive world.
Old 04-23-08, 12:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Those all sound like very good ideas, they have to set this vehicle apart. The ceramic brakes were present at one time, but not now, I'm guessing they're still finalizing the specs. It would be unfortunate to have this different class comparison become a distracting element of the car's intro, so making it clear that this is a ultraluxe exotic in every way possible is a way to go. That said, a lot of the reviewers/commenters (myself included) cannot afford this vehicle anyways, so a lot of it is chatter--the real buyers may be more discerning.

BTW, the vid of the LF-A testing went from <4,000 views yesterday to 18,000+ views today.
Old 04-23-08, 12:49 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Lexus seems to be keeping that in mind, and while Nissan did a great job with the GT-R, it's not the be all, end all of the automotive world.
If anything, that is internet and fan hype. At the end of the day Nissan set a goal and exceeded it mightily. They never were interested in building an exotic per se; they wanted to build one of the best driving, handling production sports cars in the world. Again, they more than achieved this mark.

If Lexus' goal is to build a world-class exotic, that is a somewhat different mission. We still have yet to see how the end product will measure up to that goal. I think too many folks are mixing things they probably shouldn't when they start to compare the GT-R and LF-A to one another in areas other than strictly performance. That was probably never Nissan's own intention.
Old 04-23-08, 01:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
If anything, that is internet and fan hype. At the end of the day Nissan set a goal and exceeded it mightily. They never were interested in building an exotic per se; they wanted to build one of the best driving, handling production sports cars in the world. Again, they more than achieved this mark.

If Lexus' goal is to build a world-class exotic, that is a somewhat different mission. We still have yet to see how the end product will measure up to that goal. I think too many folks are mixing things they probably shouldn't when they start to compare the GT-R and LF-A to one another in areas other than strictly performance. That was probably never Nissan's own intention.
Agree 100%
Old 04-23-08, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Not that I've done it, but from people I know who have, buying an expensive exotic sports car is mostly an emotional decision - they have the money to buy many cars, and in the end buy what stirs their soul.

A Ferrari is more than its specs. It's about a long history, unique design touches inside and out, a race car feel (even though newer ones have gorgeous interiors unlike most of the old ones).

The LF-A has to stir the soul. It will no doubt sell, but whether it will be viewed as a real 'event' in the marketplace we'll have to wait and see.

As I've mentioned the NSX was a real event. The LF-A looks to be a MUCH faster and more sophisticated vehicle, but it's still open as to how it will be received by actual buyers, not just Lexus fans.

The last new entrant to be a real event I'd say is the Veyron. Wow.
Old 04-23-08, 08:32 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Your GT-R will never sound like that
who was that directed at?
Old 04-23-08, 08:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
who was that directed at?
Everyone.
Old 04-23-08, 09:06 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Everyone.
it seems odd that you'd use the word 'your' to refer to everyone; its also very unfortunate that some feel attacks are necessary....

anyway, it seems that some clarification might be helpful

brembo gtr are a line of brakes made by brembo. they are racing spec and assembled accordingly. traditionally they are not listed in public catalogs. it appears this is what the racing lf-a is equipped with. on the street id venture to guess the ceramics would be better. why not use them on the race car? probably race rules
Old 04-23-08, 09:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

it seems odd that you'd use the word 'your' to refer to everyone; its also very unfortunate that some feel attacks are necessary....
I hope you don't feel like I was attacking you. I simply made a sarcastic remark about all of the GT-R and LF-A comparisons.
Old 04-23-08, 11:43 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

brembo gtr are a line of brakes made by brembo. they are racing spec and assembled accordingly. traditionally they are not listed in public catalogs. it appears this is what the racing lf-a is equipped with. on the street id venture to guess the ceramics would be better. why not use them on the race car? probably race rules

Yeah, one could find the GT racing calipers in their racing catalog, but I've never been able to find the gtr racing brake set.

And yes, There are regulations in place to restrict the use of exotic materials, and limit expense, so you could be quite right.
Old 04-24-08, 09:23 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

A little more info on brembo gtr brakes for those who might not have known:

these brakes are not common and are designed for race use. construction is forged calipers, with a slim profile to improve tolerance for fitment. pistons are ventillated, titanium and some calipers are monoblock in design depending on application, with 4-8 pistons in a sequential sizing. titanium inserts are used to create an added heat barrier. rotors are sold as well in a matching package - this isnt a set that can be bought in pieces. availability is limited and sizing/fitment even more so, as i understand it they do not make these for more than a handful of production vehicles. beyond that its sold to racing teams. these brakes are not aimed at everyone, which is why they arent usually advertised/listed.
Old 04-24-08, 04:07 PM
tweazy
Driver School Candidate

Well, it looks like the LF-A will be put in a race next month. A 24-hour race on Germany's Nurburgring.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5999/1531/FREE
Old 04-24-08, 05:50 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tweazy
Well, it looks like the LF-A will be put in a race next month. A 24-hour race on Germany's Nurburgring.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5999/1531/FREE
Really? Who would have thought....

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)