LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 10:21 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What about the aftermarket? Since when is the aftermarket part of this discussion ?

Talking about the aftermarket is silly, because then we can bring up the MK4 Supra. Heavily modded, an MK4 Supra will easily take an LF-A or a Spec-V. If you want to talk aftermarket, how about the Loaded BMW M3 CSL, which ran a 'Ring time of 7:22?

Fact is, there is no way to make an apples-to-apples comparison with the aftermarket.

How moddable will the GT-R be? How well will the engine hold up under high boost? How expensive will a base Spec-V be, and how expensive will it be to mod it? These are questions we still don't know.

One thing we DO know is that the LF-A will be more luxurious than the GT-R or any GT-R variant.
Aftermarket is certainly a factor in this just like how some people choose a 335i over a is350 because of ease of power gains even though stock they are close in performance. The LF-A is certainly sexier than any GT-R and it will of course be more luxurious cuz it's a Lex afterall. The GTR is like a Terminator eatting up tracks with it's advanced awd. The LF-A is more classic light weight rwd sports car. Apples to Oranges comparison yes but having said that if I had to bet my money is still on future GTR variants to be faster.
Old 04-30-08, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I just don't see the GT-R and LF-A as very comparable. The GT-R is not a luxury car. The LF-A will no doubt have many luxurious and expensive material parts.
Old 04-30-08, 08:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Aftermarket is certainly a factor in this just like how some people choose a 335i over a is350 because of ease of power gains even though stock they are close in performance. The LF-A is certainly sexier than any GT-R and it will of course be more luxurious cuz it's a Lex afterall. The GTR is like a Terminator eatting up tracks with it's advanced awd. The LF-A is more classic light weight rwd sports car. Apples to Oranges comparison yes but having said that if I had to bet my money is still on future GTR variants to be faster.
It's a factor, but we are NOT discussing aftermarket here. As I mentioned, if we look at aftermarket, why even buy a GT-R or 335i, or an LF-A? A heavily modded Supra or heavily modded E46 M3 CSL will eat up the track and will eat most supercars in terms of performance. My point is there are cars out there with much better aftermarket support than the GT-R.

If you're implying that the GT-R is "better" because it has, or will have more aftermarket support than I'm simply saying that's a silly argument.

Aftermarket is AFTER-market.

So you admit this is an apples to oranges comparison you're making and yet you still continue the comparison anyways ? I bet my money that the banana will beat both the apple and the orange . My money is on an aftermarket E46 M3 CSL to be faster than ANY GT-R variant or LF-A. Doesn't that sound silly to you?

Besides, we have NO idea if there will be future LF-A variants, now do we? What if Lexus makes a "hardcore" LF-A version, with a lot of the luxury items stripped from the car to save weight? What if Lexus makes a hybrid LF-A, which is strongly rumoured?

Fact is, you simply cannot reasonably say that future GT-R variants will be faster than the LF-A, because the LF-A may have future variants as well.

And yes, because the LF-A will be a Lexus, it will have luxuries that GT-R owners will only dream of while offering (likely) higher performance and quite possibly a more refined/comfortable ride.

Why is the GT-R so amazing? It offers awesome value and incredible performance while still being a good daily driver and being a comfortable car relative to the competition.

I'm quite sure a GT-R Spec V, even if it offers more performance than the LF-A, will NOT be as tolerable of a daily driver or as comfortable and definitely won't be as luxurious as an LF-A.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just don't see the GT-R and LF-A as very comparable. The GT-R is not a luxury car. The LF-A will no doubt have many luxurious and expensive material parts.
Exactly. You also have to consider that you will have to buy a GT-R from a Nissan dealership, which offers only a certain level of service customer relations. The LF-A will be bought from a Lexus dealership, which right away will make it a much different experience and a different level of service.
Old 05-01-08, 10:04 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a factor, but we are NOT discussing aftermarket here. As I mentioned, if we look at aftermarket, why even buy a GT-R or 335i, or an LF-A? A heavily modded Supra or heavily modded E46 M3 CSL will eat up the track and will eat most supercars in terms of performance. My point is there are cars out there with much better aftermarket support than the GT-R.

If you're implying that the GT-R is "better" because it has, or will have more aftermarket support than I'm simply saying that's a silly argument.

Aftermarket is AFTER-market.

So you admit this is an apples to oranges comparison you're making and yet you still continue the comparison anyways ? I bet my money that the banana will beat both the apple and the orange . My money is on an aftermarket E46 M3 CSL to be faster than ANY GT-R variant or LF-A. Doesn't that sound silly to you?

Besides, we have NO idea if there will be future LF-A variants, now do we? What if Lexus makes a "hardcore" LF-A version, with a lot of the luxury items stripped from the car to save weight? What if Lexus makes a hybrid LF-A, which is strongly rumoured?

Fact is, you simply cannot reasonably say that future GT-R variants will be faster than the LF-A, because the LF-A may have future variants as well.

And yes, because the LF-A will be a Lexus, it will have luxuries that GT-R owners will only dream of while offering (likely) higher performance and quite possibly a more refined/comfortable ride.

Why is the GT-R so amazing? It offers awesome value and incredible performance while still being a good daily driver and being a comfortable car relative to the competition.

I'm quite sure a GT-R Spec V, even if it offers more performance than the LF-A, will NOT be as tolerable of a daily driver or as comfortable and definitely won't be as luxurious as an LF-A.

Exactly. You also have to consider that you will have to buy a GT-R from a Nissan dealership, which offers only a certain level of service customer relations. The LF-A will be bought from a Lexus dealership, which right away will make it a much different experience and a different level of service.
I think you need to calm down and breathe dude lol. I still say Spec V will be faster.. nah nah nah.. lol
Old 05-01-08, 07:55 PM
Sup
Driver

Two separate publications, BestCar May 26 and CARTOP June are stating 570ps for the LF-A.

CARTOP

BestCar

Last edited by Sup; 05-02-08 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-01-08, 08:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just checked the wiki article on Lexus LF, and someone has posted the starting list for the 24h Nurburgring. The LF-A is listed under "Team LF-A"

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/uploads/me...8-04-23_03.pdf

Takayuki K., Akihiko Nakaya, Kazuo Shimizu, and Akira Iida are listed as drivers.
Old 05-01-08, 09:27 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Class SP8
#2 Dodge Viper GTSR
#4 Porsche 911
#6 Aston Martin DBRS 9
#7 Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24
#8 Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24
#12 Dodge Viper GTSR
#14 Lexus LF-A
#15 Chevrolet Corvette 6
#17 Audi RS4
#18 BMW 840 CI
#19 Aston Martin Vantage
#20 Audi V8 D11
#40 BMW M3
#44 Holden Commodore
#90 Lamborghini Gallardo
#91 Lamborghini Gallardo

Interesting mix of cars in this class. I expected more BMW, Porsche and Corvette; didn't see a Ferrari listed. Does anyone know the rules for this class?
Old 05-01-08, 11:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sup
Two separate publications, BestCar May 26 and CARTOP June are stating 570ps for the LF-A.
Interesting, any links? Rumours have consistently said the LF-A would have 550-580 HP from its V10.
Old 05-02-08, 09:25 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

more importantly, it says it's going to run 24 hours of NÜRBURGRING!
Old 05-02-08, 11:31 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Can't wait to see the video of it racing around. 570 PS is pretty impressive.
Old 05-02-08, 12:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Spy video of the LF-A racing prototype has been posted. The footage of the prototype (with the fixed rear spoiler) appear partway through the clip:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...rcar-up-close/

There are also shots of the motorized spoiler activating on other LF-A prototypes.
Attached Thumbnails Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)-lf-a-racing-test.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 05-02-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 01:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Spy video of the LF-A racing prototype has been posted. The footage of the prototype (with the fixed rear spoiler) appear partway through the clip:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...rcar-up-close/

There are also shots of the motorized spoiler activating on other LF-A prototypes.
Awesome video! We can see those are the latest LF-A mules that have appeared (with the test equipment seen attached to the rear), along with the race-spec mule. Both the regular mules and the race spec mule look crazy fast. It's incredible to see how the LF-A eats up corners like a knife through butter. I think the production car could certainly achieve a faster time than 7:24 on the Nurburgring.

Great to see that spoiler in action too, it pops up very smoothly and fluidly.

One thing that will definitely set the LF-A apart from the GT-R is that engine note. The LF-A's engine note will always make you take notice and pay attention to it. It really will do a lot in terms of helping the brand image for Lexus around the world.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 05-02-08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

One thing that will definitely set the LF-A apart from the GT-R is that engine note. The LF-A's engine note will always make you take notice and pay attention to it. It really will do a lot in terms of helping the brand image for Lexus around the world.
The LF-A is likely to be so rare that most people will never hear it.
Old 05-02-08, 03:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^OMG just awesome...!! Thanks for posting!!
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The LF-A is likely to be so rare that most people will never hear it.
Don't bet against Lexus's marketing power.
Old 05-02-08, 04:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I do agree that the LF-A will be very, very rare and few see it. Actually, more people are likely to hear the exhaust note through a video or commercial...and yes Lexus marketing would be good to use it a la the IS-F ads.

I like on the video how they've captured different configurations of the LF-A. I'd like to see the LF-A Roadster spyshots given video form.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)