LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 11:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23

If you win the powerball and decide you want to go buy a new Ferrari for MSRP, you can't. To get one within 30days time, you are going to pay an astounding markup. I have to check what it is currently, but for a couple years, F430 spiders were demanding $100,000+ markups. To get a new 599, be prepared to pay a half million currently

The only way you are otherwise ever going to get a new Ferrari at or closer to MSRP, is by buying several pre-owned ones from the dealer. For a 360, they say you generally may pay an extra $20-30,000 to buy it from the dealer vs buying the same car of the same condition from a private owner. After you do this at least a few times, they MAY decide to put you on the list for a new Ferrari. However, some people have gotten a verbal assurance after buying 1 or 2 cars from the manager that they would be allowed to be put on the list to find out later they were lied to. Order books for the F430 are already closed. Orders for the privleged are now being taken for the F430 replacement which there is no info for anyway. If you are able to purchase one of these cars (which you are only allowed to buy a new one from the Ferrari dealer in your region from what I hear), if you want to get rid of it within the first year, you are required to sell it back to the dealer so they can low ball you for its worth and then mark it up to sell as a pre-owned one. If you deviate from this at all, the dealer at any point can take the "privilege" away of letting you buy a new car ever again. If you are allowed to order one, and when your allotment comes in a couple of years and you pass on it, there's a good chance you may find yourself falling out of favor with the dealer as well.
Good read

That's alot of "IFs"-must be in the fine print
Old 05-21-08, 11:42 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this is just speculation, and that they price is closer to between 125-175k, but did anybody stop to think, that maybe this cars target is the Carrera GT/Enzo rather than the 911/F430? And that at $225k it is 1/2-1/3 what those cars cost?
Old 05-21-08, 11:46 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Good read

That's alot of "IFs"-must be in the fine print
LOL, I just went back and read my post. However, from what I see Ferrari owners saying, the whole purchashing experience truly is a lot of "IFs"- purchases of these definitely have a strong emotional component to it.
Old 05-21-08, 11:56 AM
Wassa786
Driver

well a 200+mph car costing 200k+ cool :-) but put a lexus badge on it...and people start to seem iffy...

I'll wait and see what this performs on the track, and then with my imaginary million dollar bank account purchase it.
Old 05-21-08, 12:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Engine is front mounted mid engine, however the radiators are in the rear which explains the air intakes and the radiator exhaust from the the rear. Having the radiators in the rear removes a lot of styling and aerodynamic restrictions from the front end
Ahhh...

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-21-08, 12:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm sure he knew the engine wasn't in the rear...but will it be a V8 or a V10?
I thought it was pretty obvious it was a V10. V8s dont sound like that The number 4.8L V10 and 557hp gets tossed around a lot lately.
2800lbs and 557hp and the quoted 'ring numbers will make for a car that will destroy anything Lamborghini and Ferrari have in that price range. In effect, its like getting an Enzo/McLaren F1 for F430 dollars

Sounds like a bargain to me. This is a supercar, not an exotic.
Old 05-21-08, 12:22 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
I thought it was pretty obvious it was a V10. V8s dont sound like that The number 4.8L V10 and 557hp gets tossed around a lot lately.
2800lbs and 557hp and the quoted 'ring numbers will make for a car that will destroy anything Lamborghini and Ferrari have in that price range. In effect, its like getting an Enzo/McLaren F1 for F430 dollars

Sounds like a bargain to me. This is a supercar, not an exotic.
That puts it in perspective perfectly.
Old 05-21-08, 12:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they have to beat the GTR, at least, to even command a 6 figure price.
That was done months ago. Next?

Considering its competing against the Enzo and McLaren F1, I dont see the price so out of it.

Lets face it, this car will make any Ferrari and Lamborghini in its price range look slow. You guys can have your Ferraris or 2 GTRs... I'll take one of these and call it a day

With 557hp and 2800lb curb weight, I bet it will run mid 11s at a ridiculous mph (probably between 132-135mph) and have a terrific powerband.
Old 05-21-08, 12:25 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wish Toyota/Lexus the best with the LF-A at that price.

$130k would have been a great price starting.

For $225k this car better do 225 mph and 0-100km/h in 3.2 seconds and god knows what else.
Old 05-21-08, 12:27 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I am afraid the new GT-R V spec would kill it for half the price.
Old 05-21-08, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
What rominl said is VERY VERY true and its getting even more true by the month. I'm regularly lurk F-Chat, and have occasionally went to their meets, and purchasing a Ferrari is more or less analogous to purchasing high-demand real estate. I doubt the LF-A is going to be as hard or as in demand to get. I think a very limited number of units of the Lexus would sell here, especially if there is extensive carbon fiber use in the chassis and body. If Lexus were to start racing successfully in a series like ALMS, it would further give the car credibility.

Read on for those of you not familiar with "The Ferrari Game":

If you win the powerball and decide you want to go buy a new Ferrari for MSRP, you can't. To get one within 30days time, you are going to pay an astounding markup. I have to check what it is currently, but for a couple years, F430 spiders were demanding $100,000+ markups. To get a new 599, be prepared to pay a half million currently

The only way you are otherwise ever going to get a new Ferrari at or closer to MSRP, is by buying several pre-owned ones from the dealer. For a 360, they say you generally may pay an extra $20-30,000 to buy it from the dealer vs buying the same car of the same condition from a private owner. After you do this at least a few times, they MAY decide to put you on the list for a new Ferrari. However, some people have gotten a verbal assurance after buying 1 or 2 cars from the manager that they would be allowed to be put on the list to find out later they were lied to. Order books for the F430 are already closed. Orders for the privleged are now being taken for the F430 replacement which there is no info for anyway. If you are able to purchase one of these cars (which you are only allowed to buy a new one from the Ferrari dealer in your region from what I hear), if you want to get rid of it within the first year, you are required to sell it back to the dealer so they can low ball you for its worth and then mark it up to sell as a pre-owned one. If you deviate from this at all, the dealer at any point can take the "privilege" away of letting you buy a new car ever again. If you are allowed to order one, and when your allotment comes in a couple of years and you pass on it, there's a good chance you may find yourself falling out of favor with the dealer as well.

With increasing numbers of wealthy in Russia, Middle East, and China, demand is further outstripping supply. Ferrari is not really increasing production, so as time goes buy these cars are going to be in less supply.
Faraaz23 hit is so well, what else can i say. i look at this 200k price tag on the lf-a as two fold. on one side, those who say "might as well look at ferrari and lambo", that's a joke coz' you have no idea how the ferari and lambo market goes. Faraaz23 said it right that a used 360 will probably run you around 200k now (keyword, USED). a new 430? even if you can find one, you can looking at 50k markup EASILY. that's if you know people. 599, even used, are selling at 600k here in cali and the car still goes like that

don't even talk about economy. for people who can afford ferarri and lambo at those prices, economy is nothing to them. 1/2 mil for a car probably does only a little ding in their wallet, barely noticeable.

now coming back to earth, what does the lf-a go with? imho, porsche turbo/gt3/gt2, sl65. that's how i see it regardless of what press says. those cars are going from 140 to 200k, right where this lf-s price is rumor for. if you look at the performance and design, it kind of makes sense too.

m5 and m6 are not in the same league, i am sorry. engine size doesn't matter, otherwise the porsche gt3 with a 6 cylinder would have been a complete joke. the m6 is still a pretty common car by all means. but porsche turbo, gt2, gt3, sl65, those cars aren't that common. i live in areas where exotics are common so i can easily see the difference.

looking at the lf-a, although i said performance and price "seems" to be in line with the competitors i stated above, it's still going to be a very uphill fight imho. problem is the badge after all, how people in that category (porsche turbo etc...) will accept the car. it's not easy to open another door in that segment for lexus. their tradition has been to offer same or better performance/quality at a lesser price. if the rumor is true in this case, then the price factor is gone. so it makes it that much harder for lexus to battle with other brands.

there are words out there about how the car competes with GT, mcclaren, etc.... i don't really care about that. personally, i accept the fact that people in those categories (ferrari, lambo, gt, etc...) unfortunately, they really wouldn't look at the lf-a (if they do, lexus really hits it). it's just like saying the nissan gtr blows away tons of high performance cars, but even say they are available at 100k, people with money will still pay 300k for a ferrari instead. price is really not an issue to some of these people, they want the status and glory (imho). they can care less about a 80k gtr beating their cars
Old 05-21-08, 01:01 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
That was done months ago. Next?

Considering its competing against the Enzo and McLaren F1, I dont see the price so out of it.

Lets face it, this car will make any Ferrari and Lamborghini in its price range look slow. You guys can have your Ferraris or 2 GTRs... I'll take one of these and call it a day

With 557hp and 2800lb curb weight, I bet it will run mid 11s at a ridiculous mph (probably between 132-135mph) and have a terrific powerband.
Talk about speculation.
Old 05-21-08, 01:18 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wont doubt that it'll have performance

However at that price, I would have picked up an F430 instead. To a lot of people, getting to own a "Ferrari" is just something you have to experience, even if there are cars that are faster.
True, just like how alot of girls will sleep with a celebrity just for the experience, even if there are better looking guys out there
Old 05-21-08, 01:24 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

with options = 250k+.

Do you know if the lexus will let you customize your lf-a to how you want it?
Old 05-21-08, 01:56 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThoLe
with options = 250k+.

Do you know if the lexus will let you customize your lf-a to how you want it?
I hope so seeing they want to have a price point like that.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)