LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
You mean V8 right? That's at least what I heard last about the race spec one.
No it says V10:

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/en/race-20...ash=0f9a26e4b7
Engine 10 cyl. / 4.805 cc
Old 05-21-08, 10:46 PM
LexFather

bit, it seems Lexus is trying to offer all things to all people.
-usual Lexus cars for the loyal
-Hybrids for those that want the tech/MGP/performance
-F for higher performance (includes LF-A)

Lexus/Toyota would not invest hundreds of millions in this car if they didn't think it would help the brand(s) in a huge way. Their decision making is too careful to do so.

Lexus NEEDS this car to show that the IS-F is just the begining and you can have your cushy Lexus but also your ***** out Lexus.

Old 05-21-08, 11:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the IS F is the beginning, and the LF-A is the supercar pinnacle, I'm looking forward to the GS-F, future gen SC-F and perhaps even an LS-F.
Old 05-22-08, 04:05 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Oh, I heard earlier that the race spec version was entered with a V8. Thanks for pointing that out.

On another note, the 24h 'Ring race starts today!
Old 05-22-08, 04:27 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing if Lexus wants to sell the LF-A at that price they better make another LS version or something that is more up market so it can attract more buyers. Have an even longer LS460/600hL like add an extra 4 ft, add an extra $40k. Which would be $102k (give or take).
Old 05-22-08, 10:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Talk about speculation.
Yeah the 'ring times its made (faster than the vspec gtr btw) are REAL speculation there, Scrappy. Toyota stating target weights, multiple magazines quoting the same number.

Who here knew of McLaren the company as a supercar manufacturer before they made the F1? I knew of them as an Formula1 team only that made a couple decent cars in the past. Last I checked, the McLarens sold like crazy and still hold an extremely high value.

Last edited by Bean; 05-22-08 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 12:21 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

At this price point they better be trying to take business away from like Ferrari F599 and Lamborghini Murcielago.

Thing is the LF-A should really be selling at $140k (starting) but probably be $180k. At least at that price they can make people turn their heads. Hopefully take people away from the MB SL63. The roadster could start at $225k.

One thing the only thing at that price, seeing Lexus always has amazing warranties and Ferrari / Lamborghini have ****ty ones (seeing they are not meant to be driven daily), thats the only thing the LF-A will have against the competition (the better warranty)

All in all the $225k is a rumour and we have to wait until probably next year to get all the info.
Old 05-22-08, 03:59 PM
Koma

If it commands a 200k price I better see something very close to the LF-A II concept. The LF-A II concept looks exotic, it's a love/hate look but it definitely looks like nothing else out there.
Old 05-22-08, 08:05 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Yup, I agree. The LF-A looks more like a Corvette while the exotic curves of the II really bring it to another level.
Old 05-23-08, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
Yeah the 'ring times its made (faster than the vspec gtr btw) are REAL speculation there, Scrappy. Toyota stating target weights, multiple magazines quoting the same number.

Who here knew of McLaren the company as a supercar manufacturer before they made the F1? I knew of them as an Formula1 team only that made a couple decent cars in the past. Last I checked, the McLarens sold like crazy and still hold an extremely high value.
McLaren was extremely well known for being involved in racing and F1. The F1 was concieved on an airplane trip The F1 was just what they though a road car should be. It sadly debuted the wrong time, only 100 were sold at over a million each, it barely met that figure. Surely if it debuted 4-5 years later, it would have sold in droves as the worldwide economy was doing much better.

What is interesting about the McLaren vs every other car made today is Gordan Murray and team did NOT chase many numbers. The main issue was lightwight (they did go over the target but not much) as he wanted it to weigh 2200 lbs and power from a N/A engine. He asked for 550 and got what 631 from BMW.

They did not mean for it to achieve the speed record, they just said "well lets see how fast it goes" and it happened to go 242. They never changed it to try to go to 250 but surely it could have.

The Mclaren was all about being the absolute best car overall, not chasing figures to beat other cars. Well, they destroyed any current road car when it debuted and to this day can hang/beat most of them.

Old 05-23-08, 08:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
McLaren was extremely well known for being involved in racing and F1. The F1 was concieved on an airplane trip The F1 was just what they though a road car should be. It sadly debuted the wrong time, only 100 were sold at over a million each, it barely met that figure. Surely if it debuted 4-5 years later, it would have sold in droves as the worldwide economy was doing much better.

What is interesting about the McLaren vs every other car made today is Gordan Murray and team did NOT chase many numbers. The main issue was lightwight (they did go over the target but not much) as he wanted it to weigh 2200 lbs and power from a N/A engine. He asked for 550 and got what 631 from BMW.

They did not mean for it to achieve the speed record, they just said "well lets see how fast it goes" and it happened to go 242. They never changed it to try to go to 250 but surely it could have.

The Mclaren was all about being the absolute best car overall, not chasing figures to beat other cars. Well, they destroyed any current road car when it debuted and to this day can hang/beat most of them.
Yes, Mclaren was known as a racing team, but what did they know about building supercars? Muchless as one as good as the F1, that had everyday liveability...It's not the same. Toyota has a lot of great engineers and a lot of technical resources from many many of their inhouse/works professional race teams. I don't doubt their ability for one second.

I also don't think Toyota/Lexus are chasing numbers. They have basic performance targets (weight etc), but you have to understand for ther position in the market, they have to do certain things [like achieve a certain top speed figure] for what I think they are trying to do.
Old 05-23-08, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yes, Mclaren was known as a racing team, but what did they know about building supercars? Muchless as one as good as the F1, that had everyday liveability...It's not the same. Toyota has a lot of great engineers and a lot of technical resources from many many of their inhouse/works professional race teams. I don't doubt their ability for one second.

I also don't think Toyota/Lexus are chasing numbers. They have basic performance targets (weight etc), but you have to understand for ther position in the market, they have to do certain things [like achieve a certain top speed figure] for what I think they are trying to do.
I don't know what Lexus/Toyota's target is. We know its smaller than a 911 and I think we heard F430 might be the target. We don't know what they are chasing, this is a VERY tight lipped project.

I don't doubt Toyota/Lexus can pull it off.

What I am saying is Mclaren DIDN'T know much of anything of building a road car and arguably built the greatest car ever made. It clearly is one of the top 5 sports cars of all time.

Now for the price, we have heard rumors of 2800lbs, which I find to be impossible to be. That is S2000 or RX-8 weight. The LF-A will be luxurious as well with tons of tech and tech is heavy.

If they truly are trying to build a car under 3000 lbs, clearly some expensive techniques must be made and used, thus maybe the cars price over 200k.

Old 05-24-08, 11:08 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1sick, why did you change your name?

Toyota has stated they have a target weight of 2800lbs. There's a bet going on supraforums between two prominent members on that weight There's a whole ton of carbon fiber on that car too; its shorter than the supra was; but wider.

If the specs stay correct, this car will have no competition from Lamborghini and nothing from Ferrari short of an Enzo.

On a side note, if the motor sounds like it does in the videos, they wont have any trouble selling them. I've seen vids of the CGT and it doesnt have the same visceral, evil Formula1 sound that the LFA does.

New vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTv_k0MJW98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCwejPyhs0c&feature=user

Last edited by Bean; 05-24-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 12:13 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Oh, man! Can anyone translate?!

I can make out quite a few english words...but its hard to put the pieces together into something meaningfull!

Last edited by @lpher; 05-25-08 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-08, 08:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
1sick, why did you change your name?
A TLN thing

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)