LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA *OFFICIALLY* confirmed for production by Toyota.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 01:32 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
V-10 = pure exoticness. V-8 = meh.. even Hyundai has a V-8. End of comparo.
Are you kidding? Ford trucks have had V10s as well, end of comparo?
Old 08-13-09, 01:37 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Are you kidding? Ford trucks have had V10s as well, end of comparo?
Yes I was kidding.
Old 08-13-09, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Just bring it!
Old 08-18-09, 12:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Many supercars take YEARS to develop and this is not a brand that makes supercars like Ferrari. They have to create everything from scratch. The LS 600h L is the grandest luxury sedan ever from Japan and this LF-A will be the grandest super car ever from Japan. Considering how conservative Lexus is, its amazing it even debuted as a concept let alone will be produced.

Like the SC 300/400, GS 400, SC 430, IS 300, IS-F this will now take things to levels we have never seen when someone says "that is a Lexus"??????
Exactly. This will demonstrate to the world what Toyota is truly capable of when it comes to performance.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Which I think is sort of a slap to the face for Toyota. The LF-A is 'suppose' to compete with the Enzo, Porsche CGT, etc, but the Italia has similar stats and it's not even a flagship.

But this is all just magazine racing. The rich wont even care about the extra 50hp or so. They'll buy the car because they can.
All this speculation is silly until we see official LF-A specs from Toyota. Based on the current insider information that is out there, the LF-A is supposed to outperform the 458. On sound alone, the LF-A already has the 458 beat. The 458's engine sound and exhaust note are definitely dissapointing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To those that have not been following the development of the LF-A, here are some actual spy pics of the production car (covered in camo) that give you a small idea of what the production exterior and interior will look like.

Pics are from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-ring-138.html

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Old 08-18-09, 04:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont see whats so wrong about speculations? After all, this is why we participate in these kinds of threads. As long as no one tries to pass on information (exact power, weight, etc) as facts, then there is NOTHING wrong with these 'silly' speculations.

As far as sound alone, it's just too early to say the LF-A has the 458 beat don't you think? For all we know, what we hear online and what we hear in person are two very different thing. Sounds transmitted through the computer speakers can be very deceiving. We don't know how hard the LF-A and 458 were driven on the track. Hell, this could have been an early test mule for Ferrari. Until we hear both in person (production model with final engine), all these sound speculations are silly.
Old 08-18-09, 01:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I dont see whats so wrong about speculations? After all, this is why we participate in these kinds of threads. As long as no one tries to pass on information (exact power, weight, etc) as facts, then there is NOTHING wrong with these 'silly' speculations.

As far as sound alone, it's just too early to say the LF-A has the 458 beat don't you think? For all we know, what we hear online and what we hear in person are two very different thing. Sounds transmitted through the computer speakers can be very deceiving. We don't know how hard the LF-A and 458 were driven on the track. Hell, this could have been an early test mule for Ferrari. Until we hear both in person (production model with final engine), all these sound speculations are silly.
Last I checked, this forum was called CAR CHAT, not "Speculation Chat" or "Car Speculation". There is nothing to suggest that speculation is why we participate in these threads. I thought it was pretty much common sense that we participate in these threads to CHAT about cars, not to specifically or merely speculate.

The problem is, some people here ARE trying to pass off speculation as facts. In the 458 thread for example, a number of people seem convinced the 458 will be faster than the LF-A, and are attempting to pass it off as fact.

As for the sound, it's apples to apples. We've heard what the LF-A sounds like transmitted through computer speakers, just like we've heard what the 458 sounds like through computer speakers. It's a fair comparison, since both cars have been heard in almost equal conditions. Hearing both in person won't make it that much more accurate, unless you have a strict scientific study in a laboratory with both cars revving to redline. In person, you may not know how hard the cars are revving either, so your point is moot.

Just for the record, those who HAVE heard the LF-A prototypes in person say they sound tremendous. The select few journalists who have tried the LF-A race prototypes were all amazed by the sound. As it stands now, there is nearly unanimous agreement that the LF-A sounds incredible.

It's also got to do with engine design really. The LF-A engine has ITBs and is a V10. The Ferrari engine is a V8 with no ITBs. Due to the nature of each engine's design, the LF-A will almost certainly sound more sinister.
Old 08-18-09, 01:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Last I checked, this forum was called CAR CHAT, not "Speculation Chat" or "Car Speculation". There is nothing to suggest that speculation is why we participate in these threads. I thought it was pretty much common sense that we participate in these threads to CHAT about cars, not to specifically or merely speculate.
I highly disagree with that. Car chat is anything related to cars. If we can't even discuss cars in concepts, then half the threads around here would be gone. Speculating is a form of chatting in this forum if you haven't noticed. You're guilty of doing the same thing, claiming the LF-A will be faster than a car that hasn't even hit the showroom floor.

The problem is, some people here ARE trying to pass off speculation as facts. In the 458 thread for example, a number of people seem convinced the 458 will be faster than the LF-A, and are attempting to pass it off as fact.
I dont think I've ever mentioned the 458 being faster than the LF-A so I dont know why my post was 'silly'. I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

As for the sound, it's apples to apples. We've heard what the LF-A sounds like transmitted through computer speakers, just like we've heard what the 458 sounds like through computer speakers. It's a fair comparison, since both cars have been heard in almost equal conditions. Hearing both in person won't make it that much more accurate, unless you have a strict scientific study in a laboratory with both cars revving to redline. In person, you may not know how hard the cars are revving either, so your point is moot.
Logic tells us not all microphones will record the same sound. My exhaust sounds a whole lot different on youtube than in person. Nothing gets more accurate than hearing it in person which is why I haven't said much about the LF-A's engine/exhaust note. We dont even know if Toyota will tweak it further.

Just for the record, those who HAVE heard the LF-A prototypes in person say they sound tremendous. The select few journalists who have tried the LF-A race prototypes were all amazed by the sound. As it stands now, there is nearly unanimous agreement that the LF-A sounds incredible.
You're taking it the wrong way. No one ever said the LF-A doesn't sound good. It sounds incredible for what it is. When you reach the point of the LF-A and Ferarri, sound will become subjective. They're both beautiful in their own way, but someone will always prefer the LF-A over the 458, and vice versa. Who is right? Who is wrong?
Old 08-18-09, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Okay gentlemen you got your points across and lets get back on the LF-A, I will delete responses. Car Chat is a place to not just talk facts but speculation as well.

If you do want to speculate, please try not to pawn it off as facts. Thanks
Old 08-18-09, 02:19 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

do we really think there's a big enough market for a +150k Lexus?
Old 08-18-09, 02:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It doesn't need a big market if Toyota only decides to produce 500 or so.
Old 08-18-09, 02:34 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

idk. it still seems a bit out there for me. i guess if audi had success with the R8, this could do well too. but i really dont see myself doing it. a test drive may change my mind, but i guess time will tell.
Old 08-18-09, 02:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

There is market for the 106K+ LS hybrid, so why wouldn't there be a market for a Lexus super car?

Lexus is selling the hybrid LS at a worldwide sales pace of several thousand a year.

The LF-A is supposed to be limited to only 500 units worldwide. If the car delivers, I think the LF-A will sell quite quickly.
Old 08-18-09, 04:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
do we really think there's a big enough market for a +150k Lexus?
Well there are already people who have their names on the list to get one at my dealer, and that is only one dealer with multible people on the waiting list. Considering there are only 160 or so dealers here in Japan, I would go so far as to say that the LFA will be sold out the day it is anounced to the dealers.
Old 08-18-09, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There is market for the 106K+ LS hybrid, so why wouldn't there be a market for a Lexus super car?
i would say that's speculation. a 106K LS Hybrid is a long way from whatever the LF-A is likely to cost, and yes I'm speculating based on what i've read that it's likely to be well north of 150K.

The LF-A is supposed to be limited to only 500 units worldwide. If the car delivers, I think the LF-A will sell quite quickly.
although speculation, i agree.
Old 08-18-09, 08:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
Honda is not focus on making a supercar (for now), they are focus in making better lawn mowers.

All joking aside, I can't wait to see the LFA, and hopefully get a chance to hear the sound.
Hey, don't knock the Honda mowers now!

Looks like Toyota is starting to return to their glory days - before Watanabe made Toyota only known for hybrids and overestimating sales of the Tundra.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA *OFFICIALLY* confirmed for production by Toyota.