LFA Model (2012)

LF-A will debut in Tokyo...Details Oct 21st...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 11:32 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I have always said I prefer them to price it at $200-250K max. & try to sell maybe like 2,000 of them instead of $350K & only 500 of them.

If they are really serious about making more sporty Lexus products & promoting a more sporty image for Lexus in the long term, they should make this first Lexus exotic more accessible, with more real life owners actually driving and enjoying the car, raving about it to their friends, rather than having only 500, where most people may not even get to come near one, or even see it on the road.
They should let as many people as possible to actually experience the LF-A, rather than just reading about it in reviews about how good it is.
+1
Old 10-06-09, 02:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I have no doubt that all 500 of these will sell no matter what the price is. However, I'm thinking Lexus is seriously full of it if they think they've created anything nearly as exclusive and special as a McLaren SLR or Carrera GT. I think most upper-middle-class people that can easily afford GT-Rs and R8s will be appaled that Lexus is even thinking about selling these like they were collector cars.

I for one could probably afford one if it were sold at a realistic price. I'm pretty mad I can't get one as easily as I can get a brand new Bentley Continental.
If that were actually the case, and most "upper-middle-class" people did think that, then they'd be wrong. I also think you're wrong.

First off, we DO NOT KNOW the price yet! You claim 500K, which is absurd frankly. The highest price estimates at this point for America are 300-400K, which would still be LESS than a Carrera GT when it came out and MUCH LESS than a McLaren SLR when it came out.

The LF A is an exotic supercar, and frankly 300-400K is a totally fair price for an exotic supercar. Many exotic supercars cost far more. Some lower estimates have stated a price between 200-300K USD.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I have always said I prefer them to price it at $200-250K max. & try to sell maybe like 2,000 of them instead of $350K & only 500 of them.

If they are really serious about making more sporty Lexus products & promoting a more sporty image for Lexus in the long term, they should make this first Lexus exotic more accessible, with more real life owners actually driving and enjoying the car, raving about it to their friends, rather than having only 500, where most people may not even get to come near one, or even see it on the road.
They should let as many people as possible to actually experience the LF-A, rather than just reading about it in reviews about how good it is.
Agreed to an extent, BUT, that is not the point of the LF A.

It is an *exotic*, exclusive, supercar. That means, that not just ANY joe who is upper-class can just buy this car when he feels like it.

Making it accessible to as many people as possible defeats the point and purpose of what Toyota is trying to do here.

Toyota wants even some upper-middle, and upper class people to DREAM about owning this car, because it will create a huge halo effect for the Lexus brand, specifically the F cars, and for Toyota products in general.

I certainly agree with showcasing the car, demonstrating it as much as possible in public, and racing it at major events as much as possible.

2,00 units IMHO would be a bit too much. I think 1,000 units tops, based on what this car stands for, and what it is meant to achieve.

You can still get lots of people to "experience" the car and to have high public awareness about the car, without losing the exotic and exclusive appeal of it. I hope Toyota does exactly this.
Old 10-06-09, 02:52 PM
LexFather

It would be funny if it was sold for 100k

The Yen is hurting pricing
Old 10-06-09, 10:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LFA officially announced for Tokyo Motor Show

Lexus to Display Two-seat Supercar and LF-Ch at Tokyo Show

Tokyo, October 7, 2009 — Lexus announces a revolutionary supercar and a compact-premium hybrid vehicle that will highlight its display at the 41st Tokyo Motor Show from October 24 to November 4 at Makuhari Messe in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture.

Two-seat supercar (world premiere)
This concept vehicle epitomizes the purest form of driving exhilaration and performance. (Details to be announced at the Lexus press briefing on October 21.)
http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/09/10/1007.html
Old 10-06-09, 10:27 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took this photo at Pebble Beach.

Old 10-06-09, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Nice pic.

Thanks Encore......Oct 21st....might throw a LF-A party
Old 10-06-09, 10:37 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
Beat you by one minute.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4905102-post2202.html

But like I asked in that post, why do they insist on calling it a concept vehicle when it's supposed to be fully production-ready? I don't understand.
Old 10-06-09, 10:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Beat you by one minute.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4905102-post2202.html

But like I asked in that post, why do they insist on calling it a concept vehicle when it's supposed to be fully production-ready? I don't understand.
Yes, you win! I think they just want to hold all the news for the actual event, only at the press conference will it be *revealed* to be going into production; for now it remains a 'concept' but that transition will happen in seconds. Plus it says "World Premiere" so unless they are premiering LF-A III, yet another concept, it is the REAL DEAL. That's my somewhat educated guess on this issue.
Old 10-06-09, 10:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still think the automotive community and journalists alike were way more excited by the release of the GTR a few years back. I am not seeing the same thing with the LFA. I guess its because it has no heritage ( not trying to be harsh)
Old 10-06-09, 10:45 PM
LexFather

Lexus has called 95% production cars concepts. Others do it too. An example is below

This was called the HPS concept

Old 10-06-09, 10:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still think the automotive community and journalists alike were way more excited by the release of the GTR a few years back. I am not seeing the same thing with the LFA.
There was nostalgia for previous GTR generations, that factored a lot into the GTR release buzz; in some ways that's factored into the 'return of the AE86' aka FT-86.

But the LFA is shaping up to be a true supercar, yes we can argue about the definition, but not since the NSX, and in some ways different than that vehicle, the LFA will be the 21st century supercar out of Japan...heck out of Asia...and out of the Lexus luxury marque, with a V10 to boot. It's a different, more categorical event...whose reception IMO will be more divergent...the enthusiast community probably had a familial reaction to the GTR, given that it is also more consistent with a past history.

The LFA is something completely different, unprecedented in many ways. Quite radical coming from Lexus and parent company Toyota. I don't doubt it will have its detractors, particularly those that will dismiss the vehicle as priced too high. But where money is no object, or at least for those who can afford it, or even just appreciated it, the LFA will find its fair share of recognition.
Old 10-06-09, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Good points Encore. Also the GT-R is actually "reasonable" in price and is much much more attainable. It also isn't a limited release.

The LF-A is clearly a car for a very very very lucky and fortunate few.

I mean the GT-R and Skyline name have been around in one form or another for over 30 years.
Old 10-06-09, 10:56 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you serious? They're still calling it a CONCEPT VEHICLE? I don't care how "close to production" this LF-A III is supposed to be, but if they come out with another "close to production" concept LF-A the world is going to LAUGH at Lexus.
Old 10-06-09, 11:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Are you serious? They're still calling it a CONCEPT VEHICLE? I don't care how "close to production" this LF-A III is supposed to be, but if they come out with another "close to production" concept LF-A the world is going to LAUGH at Lexus.
It is the production model. No worries...they are just being coy with the press release.

The original press release in Japanese is here:
http://www2.toyota.co.jp/jp/news/09/10/nt09_071.html

1. 「2シータースポーツ」(世界初出展) "****asupotsu 2" (the world's first exhibition)

▽ ▽
詳細は10月21日(水)のLEXUSブースでのプレスブリーフィングで公表予定 More October 21 (Wednesday) in LEXUS booth will be announced at a press briefing
Old 10-06-09, 11:12 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsl757
I took this photo at Pebble Beach.

Whats that thing sticking out the back?

Parachute?

Quick Reply: LF-A will debut in Tokyo...Details Oct 21st...