LFA Model (2012)

LF-A will debut in Tokyo...Details Oct 21st...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 06:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do personally know bit so call me biased but I find he has a fine eye for design and we agree a lot on it. He nearly single handedly influenced my GS mods. His GS was very tasteful, here is a pic before he sold it. Clean, tasteful, subtle and HREs ftw! I've had the pleasure of visiting both his homes and the design is fantastic, especially the one in FL he had a huge hand in.

I'm with him, I don't see 3000GT and that is a car I like and see monthly at meets.

But I don't think the LF-A looks like a 3000gt.
Old 09-22-09, 07:04 AM
DeTomaso
Rookie

Default Undisguised matte black LF-A looks ready for the kill

Autocar published some new pics of the LF-A wearing trendy matte black, just days after a white LF-A was spotted around the Ring. This time even less camouflage was used so we get a clear view of both front and rear lights. I prefer the black one for sure!

It looks like the design of the rear is final and although i don't like it as much as the LF-A concept II this change is probably a result of the cooling problems they experienced with car 15 at the Nürburgring 24H. Form follows function seems to be the credo of this presumably very radical car.

link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...aspx?im=284363

Edit: I suddenly noticed the car in these pics has Recaro seats and some kind of rollbar behind them (it sure looks quite cramped back there)...maybe this is the race version?
Old 09-22-09, 07:32 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

That looks lovely! Love those muscular looking wheels. Nice design!
Old 09-22-09, 07:55 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

what beauty!! the wheels are gorgeous....after i saw the S5 OEM's, i thought it would be touch to outdue that but these just look

From these shots, the car seems to NOW look more better than the R8 and should costing at like what? 3X more from some accounts.

Counting down till tokyo....
Old 09-22-09, 08:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This car better be stupendously spectacular.

With all the hype and anticipation in the past four years, I don't want it to arrive as a dud.
Old 09-22-09, 08:07 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its going to be kind of a big deal
Old 09-22-09, 08:14 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great. Lexus has really stepped up the Game.
Old 09-22-09, 08:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
From these shots, the car seems to NOW look more better than the R8 and should costing at like what? 3X more from some accounts.

Counting down till tokyo....
That is the problem, is the LF-A worth 3 times as much as the Audi R8 V10. At that price, the LF-A is hard to justify.
Old 09-22-09, 08:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
link? ....
Its actually a very good article about Lexus, well worth reading:

Lexus is attracting media attention with a stylish small hybrid concept car called the LF-Ch and a long-rumored $370,000 supercar that should be unveiled next month in Tokyo.

http://bostonherald.com/business/aut...to#articleFull
Old 09-22-09, 08:46 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DeTomaso
Autocar published some new pics in trendy matte black, just days after a white lf-a was spotted around the Ring. This time even less camouflage was used so we get a clear view of both front and rear lights. I prefer the black one for sure!
Not exactly a clear view with tapes still around the lights, but much clearer indeed.
It looks like the design of the rear is final and although i don't like it as much as the LF-A concept II this change is probably a result of the cooling problems they experienced with car 15 at the Nürburgring 24H. Form follows function seems to be the credo of this presumably very radical car.
Road from concept to production is always full of compromises. It's still a very good looking car, but just not as exotic-looking as its concepts suggested or as its rumored price tags should warrant IMHO.
Edit: I suddenly noticed the car in these pics has Recaro seats and some kind of rollbar behind them (it sure looks quite cramped back there)...maybe this is the race version?
Thanks to the huge website logos that cover all the important window areas in the previous pics of the white car, we don't know if these Recaro seats and rollbars are something that are only in the black car and not present in the white car. Hopefully they are an option so that buyers get to choose whether or not they want it.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-22-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 08:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

man real nice wheels
Old 09-22-09, 08:53 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
That is the problem, is the LF-A worth 3 times as much as the Audi R8 V10. At that price, the LF-A is hard to justify.
I like it but it does not look like a $250,000 car.
Old 09-22-09, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Is the AUDI V-10 worth twice as much as a GT-R? Is a Bugatti worth 3 times as much as a Porsche CGT? Is a GT2 worth 3 times as much as a base 911?

These cars are not about value, they are about exclusivity, looks, panache, showmanship, stats, heritage (not in Audi/Lexus case here) and performance.

The Audi is cheaper b/c it shares with Lambo. The LF-A is all bespoke and everything is created from the ground up for it.
Old 09-22-09, 11:00 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Uh, they still look quite similar to me.
but that's camoflauge
Old 09-22-09, 11:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

To all those speculating or assuming what the LF A's specs, price will be: fact is we don't know yet! Let's wait for official numbers before we assume.

I know it logically makes sense to assume HP will be around 550HP (since a number close to that was written on one of the race LF A engine blocks) but that could just be misdirection. Rumors still mention HP being anywhere from 550-600+.

Also, MSRP for the LF A in the USA is currently rumored at being anywhere from 200K-400K+.

These are huge gaps and are not very consistent.

Originally Posted by leedogg
I used to really like the LF-A design until I saw the Essence concept...makes the LF-A look like a little japanese space ship in comparison
The Essence looks like a lot of things too, what's your point?

Fact is, you can keep dreaming about the Essence (since it will never make it to production) but the fact is the LF A is coming, soon, and will look extremely similar to what you see in these spy shots.

Originally Posted by JessePS
There has to be a reason why they didn't keep the back like the prototype
Exactly. There must be very specific reasons why they designed the rear like they did, and furthermore, let's wait for the official reveal of the car before we judge it.

Originally Posted by rominl
some said the same about the r8 too when audi decided to make the car. well we know how much respect the r8 is getting now

i am not saying that the lfa will get the same treatment, but i am saying with our standard (financially, mentally) it's hard to really understand what rich people (who can actually afford these cars) think
Exactly. The LF A's huge reaction at autoshows worldwide has shown it has great appeal. The huge number of views that LF A spy videos on Youtube have received also confirms that interest in the car remains high.

That camo makes it look like a Mitsubishi 3000 GT.
Largely irrelevant, since that *is* camo and the production car won't have the camo.

Originally Posted by PsyFi
I don't like the design at all. I think it looks bulky and "blocky". The lines dont flow at all in this car. The front reminds me 98 Mitsubishi 3000gt. With such a high price tag and only 500 units I would have hoped Lexus would make this not only a engineering marvel, but a work of art for the ages...a timeless classic.
Do you have exclusive insider information about the car? Can you confirm 100% the car's price tag and that it will be limited to only 500 units ?

I'm not sure what pictures you're looking at, but there is nothing "blocky" or "bulky" about the design. Take a look at the spy pics of the matte black car, you see more of the design details and curves of the car.

Originally Posted by speedflex
While I think this car is certainly striking (As it absolutely SHOULD be for the level it will occupy) I think some of the lukewarm reactions are probably due to the feeling that it doesn't push the supercar design envelope in any way. It has the same basic look of a dozen other cars in this league (and that's OK with me) but it certainly has no individual wow factor which sets it apart form those cars. It's fantastic for a Lexus. That "for a Lexus" qualifier is no small thing for it makes the car's looks a relative thing to other exotic makers who have been designing fabulous looking cars since the beginning of time.

Now, it does successfully bring almost everything great about the concept to production but the concept itself is a 5 year old design now. I think 3 things make this car special. 1) it's a Lexus, 2) it will be very limited production, 3) the performance potential is formidable. But in terms of styling it is nothing new.
I haven't seen any other supercar that has a rear end like the LF A, with the strange shape of the rear radiators, the triangular exhaust, and the rear tails.

Uh, they still look quite similar to me.
Let's see, both cars:

- are white
- have 4 wheels
- are coupes
- have some sort of covering on the headlights

Apart from that, I don't see any other similarities, especially since the production LF A won't have that camo, so once again a moot point.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This car better be stupendously spectacular.

With all the hype and anticipation in the past four years, I don't want it to arrive as a dud.
Based on the preview drives journalists had of the race LF As at Goodwood in the UK, I'd say Toyota is being very coy and understated about the car's true capabilities. The LF As at Goodwood had their engines detuned, and journalists were only allowed 6 laps in the car, with only 2 of them being full-out laps. With all that in mind, there has been almost unanimous praise from journalists after driving the car, most of them coming away very impressed.

You know what else is the problem? People treating rumors and speculation as fact . Unless you have insider info you can confirm 100%, fact is you don't know what the LF A's price will be.

Also you could argue is the Audi "worth" 150K? It's performance does not even beat a GT-R.

The LF-A is a much more exclusive, higher-performing, and more exotic car than the R8 V10. They are not in the same class and should not be compared.

Quick Reply: LF-A will debut in Tokyo...Details Oct 21st...