LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 01:03 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
R&T upped this short segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0-rN_6OZk
Great find!

Also a great, no-nonsense "first drive" review. That sound, it continues to amaze .

I think all of us are eagerly awaiting FULL reviews of the production car, in-depth reviews as well as some in-depth comparisons against other exotic supercars.

I want to see the 0-200-0 performance numbers for the LFA for example .
Old 05-20-10, 01:11 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GTspirit road test: 2011 Lexus LFA in Monaco
Old 05-20-10, 01:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Arguably no better place to show off an exotic supercar than in Monaco .
Old 05-20-10, 01:40 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
R&T upped this short segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0-rN_6OZk
I liked the key from the side already, and now just noticed this! From the logoed rivets to the emblems...tastefully done too (so glad they didn't slap huge Lexus emblems everywhere, thankfully not!).

The LFA of course is a low-slung supercar, but in the video seems like an automotive Disneyland...from the seats to the exterior design cues...a real e-ticket ride.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-vlcsnap-2010-05-19-23h27m45s231.jpg  
Old 05-20-10, 02:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Here are some photos of the 2011/12 LFA TFT LCD speedometer including the nuts and bolts.

Gazoo Automotive News: Exposition people out here too LFA

Originally Posted by Gazoo News/Response translated by Google

When I walked in the Exposition site and people have high Reshingusaundo Kang! When I go to the source of the sound that I think playing the demo video of liter bikes, it is Yazaki's booth. The pillar was embedded in the booth, he'd Lexus LFA [meter panel.

Test run using the data logger, which demonstrated that the meter display. The oval itself TFT LCD meter, tachometer bezel that moving from side to side. What appears to have placed two overlap like LCD, he said, showing that it can run on liquid crystal display 1.

The tachometer instead of the whole green or red depending on the engine white circles, and shift促Surashii. The amazing sharpness tachometer needle moves dancing to the sound of the engine exhaust noise and it has been. Moment, the movement of the needle to jump into the red zone, well pinned down eye of the beholder.

The crank was also developed for the race was first exhibited at the Tokyo, Aoyama Seisakusho display and interior decoration of the bolt. Kobe Steel develops high-temperature titanium alloys, LFA appeal had been adopted.

From Reservations, am quickly became a sold out, with supercar legend already, LFA. One of at least one mechanism, to be utterly fascinating, this exhibition also taught.
(Takane Hideyuki response)
Source: Gazoo News, Response

More info HERE.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-20-10 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 06:26 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

From those pics I have a really hard time believing its a LFA underneath the sheet metal...

1) No rear rear radiators
2) What about that huge silver thing on each side of the exhaust?... thats not on the Real LFA...
Heat shielding. The diffuser is not attached, that's all.
Old 05-20-10, 08:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Neat! LOL it has Michigan plates in CA.
Neat? LOL. Those are Toyota's manufacturer plates for prototypes. TTC has a facility in Michigan for testing.

From those pics I have a really hard time believing its a LFA underneath the sheet metal...

1) No rear rear radiators
2) What about that huge silver thing on each side of the exhaust?... thats not on the Real LFA...
Why not?

1) It's one of the test mule prototypes. If you look closely you can see the cooiling fans through the rear of that mesh.

2) That huge silver thing is the exhaust. It's transversely mounted due to spacing. The silver mesh looking thing you see is a heat shield as mentioned above. The reason why it's exposed is because it's missing the carbon fiber diffuser that covers up the rear.

Old 05-20-10, 09:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Love ALL the details shown on the LFA-thanks flipside

what's with all these skeptics about the LFA? just b/c you can't see it since it's covered up/mule doesn't mean it's not the real deal?
Old 05-20-10, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Love ALL the details shown on the LFA-thanks flipside

what's with all these skeptics about the LFA? just b/c you can't see it since it's covered up/mule doesn't mean it's not the real deal?
well, of course it's possible, but with the production-ready version out already (and more than a few of them around town), i personally feel weird that a prototype version like this is still running around -- unless it's to test something else
Old 05-20-10, 11:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It makes no logical sense to have an actual LFA test mule running around the streets with a non-production body, given the fact that the production car is so close to being released. There is really no logical sense for Toyota to go through that trouble just to get data for the production car, when they are already getting tons of data for the production car with all of their pre-production LFAs around the world currently, not to mention the data they got from the 'Ring 24 hour race with the 2 LFAs there.

As previously mentioned, this "prototype" differs from previous LFA prototypes that used the same body in a number of ways. The area around the temporary tail lights is different, and the headlight area is different as well.

If this was an actual LFA pre-production prototype being tested for reliability/durability reasons on the streets, almost guaranteed it would have had a production body, possibly with some light camo, and Michigan plates.

Were this an LFA prototype, there is no useful data to be gained, since the front bumper is non-production first of all, and the body itself differs from the production car in a number of ways including aerodynamically.

I would be shocked if this an actual LFA testing underneath that body, and not something else being tested under the disguise of an LFA prototype body.

Toyota has done this many times before, and to me it just seems this is another trademark Toyota test mule testing something completely different under the body of a recognizable model to fool and throw people off.

Also the production LFA is supposed to sound somewhat course or rough at idle. According to wishlist, this prototype was smooth sounding at idle.
Old 05-20-10, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Love the Monoco vid and the new pics!
Old 05-20-10, 11:41 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

this prototype probably has the most mileage of all lfa on the road. my guess is it could be a continuous long term test of mechanicals/chassis/etc...
Old 05-20-10, 02:57 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why get rid of an older LFA that still has some use? And with the others already in body skin doing events and being handles by the press and automotive journalists, why not use this one to do the around town duties? Like I said I think they're testing the engine computer and drivetrain to see how it performs around town, not on a track.
Old 05-20-10, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
why get rid of an older LFA that still has some use? And with the others already in body skin doing events and being handles by the press and automotive journalists, why not use this one to do the around town duties? Like I said I think they're testing the engine computer and drivetrain to see how it performs around town, not on a track.
well that's just what you think, so same goes both ways imho

i will say this, i have seen a lot of cars go from prototype with all the covers and tapes and what not. but when the production ready car is debut / released, i don't really recall cases (maybe my memory) where manufacturers still do extensive testing with the prototype skin. i am sure that's the case for a resaon
Old 05-20-10, 06:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah if they were testing the lfa "around town"... why would they use a prototype shell? It makes no sense to be testing with a body that won't even be produced...

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)