LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 03:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It makes no logical sense to have an actual LFA test mule running around the streets with a non-production body, given the fact that the production car is so close to being released. There is really no logical sense for Toyota to go through that trouble just to get data for the production car, when they are already getting tons of data for the production car with all of their pre-production LFAs around the world currently, not to mention the data they got from the 'Ring 24 hour race with the 2 LFAs there.
Because the prototype mule has all the test equipment built in. This is nothing new as they did the same before the ISF came out. They drove the test mule ISF w/the Gold BBS wheels and black exterior all the way til the end. This was even when there were already several hand built close to production prototypes already made.

If this was an actual LFA pre-production prototype being tested for reliability/durability reasons on the streets, almost guaranteed it would have had a production body, possibly with some light camo, and Michigan plates.

Were this an LFA prototype, there is no useful data to be gained, since the front bumper is non-production first of all, and the body itself differs from the production car in a number of ways including aerodynamically.
Toyota is continuously improving. Kaizen...its a core term they live by. They're not going to destroy a test mule when it still has plenty of usable life. I think you are looking waaaaay too much into the details.

Also the production LFA is supposed to sound somewhat course or rough at idle. According to wishlist, this prototype was smooth sounding at idle.
Really have you driven it and seen it it or driven an LFA in person? Sounds like you have? Changes can be done before from this point in time until the first production car rolls out. I've driven 2 LFA's, one flat black one (now starfire) and one Whitest white on a racetrack in Florida. I've been around the flatblack/starfire at several events all over the US, maybe you've seen them? I think I have a good idea of how these cars sound and ride in person from anyone here.

When the LFA reaches a certain operating temperature, the car will run smooth, even if it just sits for a short period of time. If it's a cold start, it sounds rough, and you cannot rev the car to past 8k until it's at the optimal operating temp. It's nothng different from any car, even my own ISF.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Yeah if they were testing the lfa "around town"... why would they use a prototype shell? It makes no sense to be testing with a body that won't even be produced...

See above.
Old 05-21-10, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Because the prototype mule has all the test equipment built in. This is nothing new as they did the same before the ISF came out. They drove the test mule ISF w/the Gold BBS wheels and black exterior all the way til the end. This was even when there were already several hand built close to production prototypes already made.

Toyota is continuously improving. Kaizen...its a core term they live by. They're not going to destroy a test mule when it still has plenty of usable life. I think you are looking waaaaay too much into the details.

Really have you driven it and seen it it or driven an LFA in person? Sounds like you have? Changes can be done before from this point in time until the first production car rolls out. I've driven 2 LFA's, one flat black one (now starfire) and one Whitest white on a racetrack in Florida. I've been around the flatblack/starfire at several events all over the US, maybe you've seen them? I think I have a good idea of how these cars sound and ride in person from anyone here.

When the LFA reaches a certain operating temperature, the car will run smooth, even if it just sits for a short period of time. If it's a cold start, it sounds rough, and you cannot rev the car to past 8k until it's at the optimal operating temp. It's nothng different from any car, even my own ISF.

See above.
the way i see it, it could just be anything. no one here can say for sure it's just the lfa test mule
Old 05-22-10, 12:18 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see what else it could be. There is rumors about the LFA getting tuned till it is actually produced. No one's car has been made yet. The first cars won't even be introduced until next year. I think the only thing set in stone is the specs. Engine management, ecu, transmission, steering, they could all be tested and tuned to perfect up until the first production unit is put together. Like Flipside said, Kaizen! That is toyota's philosophy.
Old 05-22-10, 10:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

Fair enough then. I will agree to disagree on some of these points .

Unless you have some insider info and somehow know for sure this is an LFA test mule and not a test mule for something else, I think it could be anything IMHO .
Old 05-22-10, 06:58 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LFA Nurburgring package

2012 LFA Nurburgring package.

$70,000 package will include a fixed rear wing, larger front spoiler, additional 10 horses, along with a sport-tuned suspension, mesh wheels and high-grip tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...r_news/gallery

Last edited by hwy1isf; 05-22-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 07:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

cool info and nice color on the LFA but this is a repost. Cool info none the less. Its cool to see that we have members who like to add to the community as opposed to just making comments.
Old 05-23-10, 05:42 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Video from some car show event in Japan. Red LFA is on display at 5:20ish or thereabouts, then engine rev sounds at 7:35ish with more video after that. It's raining, so there's a good shot of the single-blade windshield wiper in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOKxVp-tQY

Last edited by gengar; 05-24-10 at 05:34 AM. Reason: dead link fixed
Old 05-23-10, 06:00 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Video from some car show event in Japan. Red LFA is on display at 5:20ish or thereabouts, then engine rev sounds at 7:35ish with more video after that. It's raining, so there's a good shot of the single-blade windshield wiper in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5XfwZjh0gQ
Thx for posting the link great find, looks like the when the LF-A showed up it shut the show down....lights out!
Old 05-23-10, 10:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
2012 LFA Nurburgring package.

$70,000 package will include a fixed rear wing, larger front spoiler, additional 10 horses, along with a sport-tuned suspension, mesh wheels and high-grip tires.
sport-tuned suspension? lol, it's not sporty enough!!!?!?!?!?

any sportier than normal and it's likely to be bone-jarringly sporty!
Old 05-24-10, 12:28 AM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

horriblebbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Old 05-24-10, 04:42 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5XfwZjh0gQ
I hope my car color would turn out like the one in this video. It's one good looking machine from all angles I did not notice until now that there is only one reverse light.
Thanks for the find.
Old 05-24-10, 05:54 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The red LFA car show youtube link died, so I updated my post with the new one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOKxVp-tQY

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I hope my car color would turn out like the one in this video. It's one good looking machine from all angles I did not notice until now that there is only one reverse light.
Thanks for the find.
Yeah, the single reverse light is interesting. It was also visible when the Park Lane LFA was being backed out of the truck for delivery in London. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NObxtb1jdDM I believe the CT200h also has a single reverse light.
Old 05-24-10, 03:34 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reverse light being the right side only and the left side being a brake light I assume. I can't wait to see this thing in Nurburgring Edition in real life, or a video.
Old 05-24-10, 07:19 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
The reverse light being the right side only and the left side being a brake light I assume. I can't wait to see this thing in Nurburgring Edition in real life, or a video.
I think the left side is the EU mandated rear fog light

the ISx50 has them also

Last edited by GiantsFan; 05-24-10 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 08:14 PM
LexFather

The Prototype can still be testing things. Its not like the car is being built now, it starts Dec of this year.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)