LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 11:05 PM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I did my arithmatic correctly, something tells me that Lexus is having more trouble selling/leasing the LF-A than some people think.

With that being said, in 2012 when it finally comes to market the performance stats will already being stale and obsolete even though it is already currently slower than the Audi R8 and GTR which are considerably less money.

Doesn't seem like it is doing all that well.
Old 06-07-10, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasp
If I did my arithmatic correctly, something tells me that Lexus is having more trouble selling/leasing the LF-A than some people think.

With that being said, in 2012 when it finally comes to market the performance stats will already being stale and obsolete even though it is already currently slower than the Audi R8 and GTR which are considerably less money.

Doesn't seem like it is doing all that well.
on one hand, i have always have questions about how well lexus has been selling the car

but i can't seem to agree with you on the performance. can you please give solid information on where the lfa is slower than the r8 and gtr? there is no ring time yet. on top gear, lfa has the fastest wet lap. on the MT 1/4 test, it's faster than the gtr.

i would like to see more results if you can provide them, apple to apple
Old 06-08-10, 12:02 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I'll pick it up tomorrow if my local B+N or Borders has a copy in good condition. I subscribe to evo, but not CAR.
As an update on this, neither my local B+N or Borders have the June issue of CAR in yet (I assume the June issue is the one in question).

Not sure what arithmetic has to do with it. It's apparently still available in the US, which simply means it's not sold out in the US. I certainly wouldn't mind them allocating some back to Japan to help out our members over there (of course I say this after having already been allocated one). Keep in mind Lexus increased allocation to the US at least once, and possibly twice (or more?) based on the reports we've gotten from various sources.

With that being said, in 2012 when it finally comes to market...
Deliveries start in early 2011, just FYI. Of course that's all irrelevant, because if you really think LFA buyers are cross-shopping with any other supercar much less an R8 or a GTR, well that's been covered ad nauseum in this thread and others.

Last edited by gengar; 06-08-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 12:29 AM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
but i can't seem to agree with you on the performance. can you please give solid information on where the lfa is slower than the r8 and gtr? there is no ring time yet. on top gear, lfa has the fastest wet lap. on the MT 1/4 test, it's faster than the gtr.
It's that 3.7 0-60mph that bugs me. It should of been 3.4 seconds.
Old 06-08-10, 12:40 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's that 3.7 0-60mph that bugs me. It should of been 3.4 seconds.
That's quite the precise figure. Why stop at 3.4? Why not 3.3 or 3.2?

The point is, how on earth did you go about concocting such an arbitrary standard for arguably the least important of performance metrics with this class of car (0 to 60 times)?
Old 06-08-10, 12:47 AM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carLx
The point is, how on earth did you go about concocting such an arbitrary standard for arguably the least important of performance metrics with this class of car (0 to 60 times)?
I really love how you claim it is the least important...you only claim that because it is not the fast 0-60 in the class.

MT, Road and Track, Car and Driver all consider 0-60mph as the benchmark performace statistic....along with pretty much every other car driver on the face of this Earth who hasn't drunk the Lexus Kool-LFAID
Old 06-08-10, 12:48 AM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carLx
Why stop at 3.4? ?
and 3.4 is the number because that is where its most direct competitor the R8 V10 is.
Old 06-08-10, 01:25 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasp you have to remember that these cars have Launch control, even the GTR. And when the GTR's launch control isn't enabled it still only hits 60 in 3.6! Wow! A tenth of a second faster than the 3.7 or two tenths faster than 3.8 in which the LFA hits 60. Faster than a blink of your eye. If you read the articles you'd realize that Motortrend even said that with launch control there would undoubtedly be at least 2 or 3 tenths shaved off the 0-60 time. So that 3.8 or 3.7 would be 3.5 or 3.4 to 60 from 0. the R8 V10 doesn't hit 60 in 3.4, it hits it in 3.6 or 3.7 because of the Manual transmission, read up on it.
Old 06-08-10, 05:08 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I really love how you claim it is the least important...you only claim that because it is not the fast 0-60 in the class.

MT, Road and Track, Car and Driver all consider 0-60mph as the benchmark performace statistic....along with pretty much every other car driver on the face of this Earth who hasn't drunk the Lexus Kool-LFAID
How about the best sounding 0-whatever mph award for the LFA?

The Lexus Kool-LFAID clearly stated that the car is about THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE as a whole, so I am buying one because of that. For bench racing purpose, I believe the LFA's stat is about as good as what can be achieved without resorting to tricked AWD, and/or blown engines. Therefore, its performance won't be stale by 2011-2012 deliveries or ever. On the other hand, from what I have read in LFA's reviews, this car absolutely nailed the intangible driving piece, and that can not go stale.
Old 06-08-10, 06:33 AM
LexFather

and 3.4 is the number because that is where its most direct competitor the R8 V10 is.
Look you can't tell people they are making up claims and you are doing the same. C&D just printed LFA specs and the 3 cars they compare it to are

Aston Martin DBS
Ferrar 599 GTB
Lamborghini Murchialago

Not ONE REVIEW has mentioned the Audi R10 as a competitor. NOT ONE.

Also you are picking and choosing reviews. The LFA was tested against the GT-R and the GT-R was faster 0-60 but the LFA caught up and PASSED IT as speeds went over 100 mph.
Old 06-08-10, 08:10 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry to hear it. Have you considered changing your approval factor of your wife?
lol.... I was going to offer that suggestion...
Old 06-08-10, 08:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LFA vs. SLS review from CAR is in (they liked the LFA individually, but not fully)...conclusion:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...010-twin-test/

Lexus LF-A (2010) vs Mercedes SLS (2010) twin test
By Georg Kacher
08 June 2010 13:29

Verdict

Before we headed for the hotel at 4.30am, we took every opportunity to try and evaluate, to test and savour, to sample and then decide. What would I buy if I had the means and the choice – the 560bhp Lexus or the 571bhp Mercedes?

The LFA is a limited-edition high-tech and high-mech item, heart-stoppingly pretty and very nicely put together, a puristic street racer for track days and early Sunday mornings. The SLS is a powerboat for the road, a mighty mauler which evokes fond memories of a glorious past, a surprisingly practical and highly visible tool for the dedicated driver.

Both cars are honest and straightforward, classy and competent, intriguing in the way they present themselves and perform, pleasantly free of gimmicks and tweaks, dynamically focused and deeply rewarding. The final choice could be down to personal preferences and subjective impressions. Like the more modern Lexus exterior and interior, or the more practical packaging of the Mercedes.

But as it should be the case when you compare two so evenly matched machines, the true decider hides beneath skin. The LFA is let down by its weak clutch and the automated transmission, and it is, albeit to a lesser extent, handicapped by the need to rev its melodious engine to a plateau where it burns even more fuel than the much more relaxed bigger-bore V8. In all other departments, it´s a very close shave.

I could quite easily live with the less compliant suspension, and if this was toy number six or seven, even the high-revving engine would not matter that much. But the clutch does, because it is at odds with what the halo car of the brand should deliver: ultimate quality in every respect. The SLS on the other hand establishes a credible link to its maker´s F1 and DTM efforts. And it proves, 56 years after the original gullwing and only weeks after the demise of the ill-fated SLR, that Mercedes still knows how to make a supercar.
I acknowledge that there is more history on the SLS' side, coming from the world's oldest automaker, but would probably have a quibble with the reasoning behind the final placement. There's a connection to MB's DTM and F1 efforts, but gone unmentioned is a connection as well to Toyota's F1 (until '10), Lexus' 24 Hours Nurburgring, and even SuperGT efforts. The article had virtually no critiques about the V8 Benz and was guarded in his praise for the LFA. Perhaps the Nurburgring Edition with its faster shift times would be useful?

The author Georg Kacher also repeats the incorrect claim that all 500 LFAs are being leased, which is not the case outside the US, as reported in Europe where this test took place, as well as Asia and elsewhere. He should probably get that info right before making claims about grey markets etc.

Last edited by encore888; 06-08-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 09:09 AM
LexFather

So wait a minute, what kind of "enthusiast mag" complains about a 9,000 RPM limiter? As a matter of fact they bished about the IS-F not revving high enough compared to the M3.

SLS has dual clutch...LFA doesn't which seems to hurt it here.

With just under 9000 kilometres on the clock and a long weekend on the Ring in its limbs, our pre-production Lexus felt a little loose and tired
That is around 5500 or so miles right? It also is pre-production and they stated it feels loose/tired and that is b/c the car has been beat up all over the world racing everywhere/driving events etc.

Overall good review but LFA for me all the way. I saw the SLS in person and was very disappointed inside and out. Doors of course were cool ")
Old 06-08-10, 09:35 AM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
How about the best sounding 0-whatever mph award for the LFA?
Best sounding? LOL, sounds like a rice burner to me
Old 06-08-10, 10:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

looking (or hearing) cars out there so far, lfa is one of the few cars that come really close in sounding like the f1 cars. other contestant imho are the 599 gto, enzo, to name a few. the pitch, the rpm, the tone.

mike, i agree, i am actually pretty surprised (and wonder why) lexus didn't go with dual clutch setup. it seems to be pretty commonly used now. i wonder if weight is a problem. on the non-nur edition, the tranny shifts fast but not on par with some other exotics

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)