LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Lexus allowing outright purchase of LFA in U.S.

Lexus allowing outright purchase of LFA in U.S., demands right of first refusal if you try to sell it

Shortly after the LFA supercar was unveiled last fall, Lexus announced that it would only be available to lease in the U.S. Toyota's intent was to drive speculators out of the market for its $375,000 supercar by forcing owners to hold onto the car for at least two years. Once the lease was up, customers would then have the option to buy the car outright. That two-year lease, by the way, costs the princely sum of nearly $300,000, which Lexus wants upfront as part of its 1Pay Lease Program rather than in monthly installments.

Lexus has apparently had a slight change of heart. According to a letter delivered to Autoblog by an LFA intender (see below in gallery), American customers will now be able to buy the LFA outright, but only on the condition that they sign an agreement giving the dealer first right of refusal to buy back the LFA if the owner wants to sell it within the first two years. The dealer will have the option to buy back the used LFA for either fair market value or the original sticker price, whichever is lower.

What happens if an owner sells the LFA within two years having not given the dealer the chance to buy it back first? The dealer is owed the difference between what the buyer originally paid for the car and what he sold it for, plus any legal fees. So whether you decide to lease or buy the LFA, Toyota is going to considerable lengths to ensure that no speculators will make a profit on reselling the LFA during the first two years.

Though 99.9 percent of Autoblog readers are most likely not in the market for an LFA, we're still curious if Toyota's tactics strike you as fair or would deter you from handing over your inheritance for a car that comes with strings attached, so have your say in Comments.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/05/l...mands-right-o/
Old 08-05-10, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm gonna guess the "White" one...
yup, she said it's the white one. i wasn't with her so darn
Old 08-05-10, 01:42 PM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buy back stipulation

the car can stand on it's own merit: as delivered
whether it appreciates or not, no artficial aids are needed
let the market decide

this will hurt the car image rather than help it
when image goes- so does the value
and the other way around

sorry- wrong move
Old 08-05-10, 02:29 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus allowing outright purchase of LFA in U.S., demands right of first refusal if you try to sell it

Shortly after the LFA supercar was unveiled last fall, Lexus announced that it would only be available to lease in the U.S. Toyota's intent was to drive speculators out of the market for its $375,000 supercar by forcing owners to hold onto the car for at least two years. Once the lease was up, customers would then have the option to buy the car outright. That two-year lease, by the way, costs the princely sum of nearly $300,000, which Lexus wants upfront as part of its 1Pay Lease Program rather than in monthly installments.

Lexus has apparently had a slight change of heart. According to a letter delivered to Autoblog by an LFA intender (see below in gallery), American customers will now be able to buy the LFA outright, but only on the condition that they sign an agreement giving the dealer first right of refusal to buy back the LFA if the owner wants to sell it within the first two years. The dealer will have the option to buy back the used LFA for either fair market value or the original sticker price, whichever is lower.

What happens if an owner sells the LFA within two years having not given the dealer the chance to buy it back first? The dealer is owed the difference between what the buyer originally paid for the car and what he sold it for, plus any legal fees. So whether you decide to lease or buy the LFA, Toyota is going to considerable lengths to ensure that no speculators will make a profit on reselling the LFA during the first two years.

Though 99.9 percent of Autoblog readers are most likely not in the market for an LFA, we're still curious if Toyota's tactics strike you as fair or would deter you from handing over your inheritance for a car that comes with strings attached, so have your say in Comments.

I'm just re-posting this for people to read on a page that hasn't been stretched out by huge *** pictures. Please re-size pictures people, or else it makes the entire page difficult to read.

My opinion is, Lexus is trying their best to keep the LFA in the hands of the most passionate buyers, not the people with the deepest pockets. We noticed this with the selection process and also the purchasing process, now with a full purchase option with dealer at first grabs to buy it back at market value. Honestly, in my view, this is score one for the good guys (and by that I mean people like Gengar, Dave600hL, s2000toIS350 and others who are great people who buy the LFA for the right reasons).

Last edited by G Star; 08-05-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 02:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Didn't we see these "letters" already... (months ago) ???

Joe Z
Old 08-05-10, 02:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, she said it's the white one. i wasn't with her so darn

You missed it at the Westminster Event a couple of weeks ago too...

"It was my 1st time with one.."

Joe Z
Old 08-05-10, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Joe Z
gengar posted saying he got info from lexus regarding this, but i don't recall seeing anything more "official"
Old 08-05-10, 02:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Lexus allowing outright purchase of LFA in U.S.

Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-official-lexus-lfa-photos-2.jpg  
Old 08-05-10, 06:11 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
your hope is getting a bit closer to reality

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5693424-post4.html
Ah cool thanks, I missed that thread. Someone needs to take a video of it and post to youtube.

Originally Posted by BlaZinG
Hope not a repost
It's a repost but it never gets old - especially since I ordered mine in Pearl Blue. I admit I watch those two videos probably at least 2-3 times a week.

Joe Z
I got notice of new finance options almost exactly a month ago, but this is probably the first press report of it.
Old 08-06-10, 01:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a red one i found. Toyoda himself is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOVFQ...eature=related
Old 08-06-10, 07:28 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,803 Posts

So you changed your mind and finally ordered the LFA after deciding to pull out.

More precisely, you made Lexus budge to your demands of buying the car outright rather that paying for the flimsy lease option.

Originally Posted by gengar

It's a repost but it never gets old - especially since I ordered mine in Pearl Blue. I admit I watch those two videos probably at least 2-3 times a week.
Old 08-06-10, 08:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
So you changed your mind and finally ordered the LFA after deciding to pull out.

More precisely, you made Lexus budge to your demands of buying the car outright rather that paying for the flimsy lease option.
?? i don't think gengar ever intended to pull out, he's been in from the beginning

s2000tois350 was the one who pulled out
Old 08-06-10, 10:29 AM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Saw this yesterday in Irvine! I tried to record a video but my phone did not want to cooperate. That exhaust note is AMAZING!

Old 08-06-10, 10:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Sweet!!!!!

Was it at the Lexus Technology office in Irvine ??

Joe Z
Old 08-06-10, 10:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gengar
I got notice of new finance options almost exactly a month ago, but this is probably the first press report of it.
Ah ok.. Now I remember..

The 1st letters we saw were just the Lease options.. So this is "new" information perse..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)