LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 02:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,803 Posts

That is why LFA is so expensive. The engine is built to work in any scenario and is purpose built to run in the most stressful levels at long periods of time. Be it the streets and daily driven or race track or in competitive endurance racing series.

Toyota/Yamaha had run the V10 straight for 48 hours at 10,000 rpm.

Same cannot be said about the GTR, which uses cookie-cutter parts from other cars such as the engine VR38DETT is derived from the VQ series engines and the FM chassis that is used even in the Nissan Quest minivan. Some of the secret as to why GTR costs only $100,000 is in this formula. LOL

Nissan abandoned the VR38DETT in favor of a heavy modified Titan 5.6 Liter V8 for the GT1 race car because it had "overheating issues". As a result, the GT1 GTR has nothing in common with the street version of the GTR except the body shell. Nissan even dumped the ATTESSA AWD in favor of a RWD platform for the GT1 car.

Like they always say, you gotta pay to play.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-10-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 04:28 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Nissan abandoned the VR38DETT in favor of a heavy modified Titan 5.6 Liter V8 for the GT1 race car because it had "overheating issues". As a result, the GT1 GTR has nothing in common with the street version of the GTR except the body shell. Nissan even dumped the ATTESSA AWD in favor of a RWD platform for the GT1 car.
Don't know about FIA but if LFA goes to Super GT look for 3.8 V8 to be retrofitted instead of V10.
Old 08-10-10, 06:43 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fine because they have run that engine in the SC, I'm betting it'll be the same engine/transmission run in those cars unless they can get to use their own engine, but it's more than likely too heavy- the 3.4liter V8s are race engines that are smaller and lighter. The GT1 cars have to use engines over 5.0 liters. This is why the GTR used the 5.6 liter Titan engine. It's close to stock but it's definitely not 'stock'. The GTR is capable regardless of what chassis/engine combination it's using. The fact that it's hanging and beating Aston Martins, Lamborghini's, Ford GT's etc etc. is a testament to NISMO/Nissan. The LFA though is an entirely different story. I'm betting they will keep the engine, because it has to be based off of a production car/engine but they'll have to increase the displacement to over 5 liters. Being that it's 4.8 now, I'm thinking it won't be hard. We might see it rev beyond 10k rpm as well. I think the LFA's engine will be in it's sweet spot racing in GT1. I really hope this is true!
Old 08-10-10, 08:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Great video of the LFA at the Nürburgring. Sound quality is excellent, probably because of a better mic than we usually get on these vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHS-9UOAkUU&fmt=22
Old 08-10-10, 09:13 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You see the 458 there with it? Looks like it might be a comparo! Hope we find out soon. I bet it spanks the Ring! Damn sound is sick when it flies by.
Old 08-10-10, 09:49 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I bet it spanks the Ring!
But then again people say the white LFA has been beaten to death so it just might not...
Old 08-10-10, 10:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Do we know for sure that's the same beaten up white one, or is this a new white one? That certainly looks like a comparison to me. I got a feeling this might be a new white one.
Old 08-11-10, 12:20 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do we know for sure that's the same beaten up white one, or is this a new white one? That certainly looks like a comparison to me. I got a feeling this might be a new white one.
There are two white ones that's for sure.
http://www.evo-cars.de/serie/news/11...ng-in-goodwood
Old 08-11-10, 01:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The question then is how beat up is this one in the video?
Old 08-11-10, 02:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Lexus premiere at exclusive Salon Privé motor show

This year’s Salon Privé proved to be the largest, most spectacular and most popular to date. Once again, the world’s most exclusive cars convened on the lawns of London’s Hurlingham Club for a motoring event unlike any other in the UK. But what made this year so special? The manufacturers out on show read like a ‘Who’s Who’ of the automotive elite. Rolls-Royce, Ferarri, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley… All present and correct. But, for the first time, Lexus added its name to the guest list.

As everyone knows, first impressions count. So how do you stand out amongst most desirable cars on the planet? LFA.

The handcrafted Lexus supercar took pride of place at the event, although Lexus had even more to offer. The flagship LS 600h saloon put Lexus full-hybrid technology at the heart of the show, while the 5.0-litre V8-engined IS F proved ultra high-performance luxury doesn’t have to be confined to the privileged few.

It certainly worked. With record attendance, the 2010 Salon Privé raised over £150,000 for charitable causes, including the Rainbow Trust Children’s Charity, Prostate Cancer Research and The Prince’s Trust.

The show also included the hard-fought Salon Privé Concours d’Elégance, where the world’s rarest and most valuable classic and vintage cars competed for honours across seven categories. The overall Best of Show award went to Hugh Taylor’s exceptional 1932 Alfa Romeo Monza. It will be quite some time until Lexus appears in vintage competitions, but we hope one of the 500 LFAs to go into production will be competing for top honours come 2088…

Courtesy: Lexus UK

Lexus premiere at exclusive Salon Privé motor show:

/

Old 08-11-10, 08:21 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Lexus is certainly trying hard to impress the Europeans. Stunning pictures of the LFA again...
I'd not worry about any 458-LFA comparo, looks like you have the two extremes of reliability. You'd probably need to buy 2 458's just in case one caught fire, so the cost to acquire and run the F cars is going to be a lot higher than the Lexus.
The F car fans/reviewers are certainly not going to mention that weakness, and all they do is glorifying the badge.
With that said, I think the LFA is a huge success for Lexus for getting people to compare Lexus vs Ferrari and other highend exotics.
Old 08-11-10, 08:42 AM
LexFather

Lovely....notice this LFA engine cover has the "F" plaque on it whereas others don't have it.
Old 08-11-10, 09:14 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, note that the headlamp washers on this LFA are painted white to match the body color (on the repainted Pearl White LFA that did Autobahn in Joliet earlier this year, the washers were painted black, which looked terrible). I still don't like the look of the headlamp washers even in matching body color, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as a contrasting color.

I did not opt for the washers on my order, purely for aesthetics. I think it was a $200 option or something similarly nominal.
Old 08-11-10, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Also, note that the headlamp washers on this LFA are painted white to match the body color (on the repainted Pearl White LFA that did Autobahn in Joliet earlier this year, the washers were painted black, which looked terrible). I still don't like the look of the headlamp washers even in matching body color, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as a contrasting color.

I did not opt for the washers on my order, purely for aesthetics. I think it was a $200 option or something similarly nominal.
the other white one was originally the matt black one, probably coz' they forgot to paint the washer, or they couldn't do it
Old 08-11-10, 10:39 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
You see the 458 there with it? Looks like it might be a comparo! Hope we find out soon. I bet it spanks the Ring! Damn sound is sick when it flies by.
how do other exotics endure/stand up getting beat up like this unlike the LFA?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)