LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 07:23 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think it's probably over 6,000 miles on that LFA, but I too would like to know the exact number.
Probably more now that Scott Pruett gave a ton of demo rides at Laguna Seca today.
Old 08-11-10, 08:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laguna Seca huh? Hmm, I'm expecting a flood of youtube vids from that!

A question I posed, can anyone find out why these LFAs weigh in order of 3600lbs? That's as much as the Supra! Are these things just loaded with all the features or what?
Old 08-11-10, 08:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Still no sign of the scans for the AutoZeitung SLS AMG vs LFA track comparo.

I wish someone from Europe was on this board.
Old 08-11-10, 08:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Probably more now that Scott Pruett gave a ton of demo rides at Laguna Seca today.
The LFA at Laguna? Wow, were you there?
Old 08-11-10, 08:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh no, I wasn't questioning about the ring at all.

I was just wondering if other exotics can take a beating like the LFA can.

My assumption is the LFA ownership won't be demanding or a pita to own/maintain unlike other exotics.
I am not sure about other exotics, but the LFA is fairly high maintenance. My dealer gave my a run down on all the costs involved and be sure it is quite a bit higher then any other lexus. I can't quite remember as it was a while ago, but as an example it needs above the norm brake fluids and such. Sorry just going by memory here, all I know is that it was expected to be high maintenance by Lexus standards.
Old 08-11-10, 09:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Please share your impressions in good detail of your "future car" and do mention how LFA handled the infamous "corkscrew".
Old 08-12-10, 12:12 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Please share your impressions in good detail of your "future car" and do mention how LFA handled the infamous "corkscrew".
The LFA at Laguna? Wow, were you there?
Haha unfortunately, I was not there. However, as Laguna Seca was the first track I ever drove on, I would have loved to have taken a ride in an LFA and would have happily flown over there to do so had I been notified/invited. This must have been an event similar to the one at Autobahn/Joliet for that region.

I only knew about the LFA at Laguna because someone snapped a photo of it in the paddock on Friday, and also Lexus has posted video from Laguna Seca of LFA Q+A's with Scott Pruett on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/lexus?v=app_2392950137
Old 08-12-10, 12:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am not sure about other exotics, but the LFA is fairly high maintenance. My dealer gave my a run down on all the costs involved and be sure it is quite a bit higher then any other lexus. I can't quite remember as it was a while ago, but as an example it needs above the norm brake fluids and such. Sorry just going by memory here, all I know is that it was expected to be high maintenance by Lexus standards.
that's very much expected. but i think when compared to other exotics, the cost should hopefully be considerably less (and i surely hope so). if the lfa has 6000+ miles and only thing that has been changed is the engine oil, i think that's pretty darn good compared to others. i am surprised though, 6000+ miles and no service on the brakes, considering the amount of track use and heat?
Old 08-12-10, 02:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Haha unfortunately, I was not there. However, as Laguna Seca was the first track I ever drove on, I would have loved to have taken a ride in an LFA and would have happily flown over there to do so had I been notified/invited. This must have been an event similar to the one at Autobahn/Joliet for that region.

I only knew about the LFA at Laguna because someone snapped a photo of it in the paddock on Friday, and also Lexus has posted video from Laguna Seca of LFA Q+A's with Scott Pruett on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/lexus?v=app_2392950137
So Pruett in one of those videos mentions that he hit 139 mph going into Turn 2 at Laguna. That is pretty interesting. Also no mention of the lap times he hit with the LFA. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know, but they're keeping pretty quiet about that .

Originally Posted by rominl
that's very much expected. but i think when compared to other exotics, the cost should hopefully be considerably less (and i surely hope so). if the lfa has 6000+ miles and only thing that has been changed is the engine oil, i think that's pretty darn good compared to others. i am surprised though, 6000+ miles and no service on the brakes, considering the amount of track use and heat?
As far as I know, carbon ceramic brakes are supposed to last a very long time, even under heavy track usage. There might have been some minor service done on that LFA with the brake pads, but I think that's all that would have been done in terms of brakes. The LFA brakes were designed for extreme durability, so I wouldn't expect the discs to need much servicing even during the life of the vehicle.
Old 08-12-10, 07:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually on that note, does anyone know how many miles are registered on that lfa? it's not until the past few months that car starts to see public road, otherwise it's only tracks and trailers
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe flat black LFA I rode in in January had 5500 or so miles already. All track. Not sure of the others.
It's about 7k for the formerly flat black. The Yellow LFA already had about 300 miles on it when I was at HQ last Friday.

Scott makes Laguna like a cake walk. I experienced the corkscrew with Scott when the ISF first came out a few years ago, and man...talk about weightlessness! I can only imagine how much more it is with the LFA.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-12-10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

So Pruett in one of those videos mentions that he hit 139 mph going into Turn 2 at Laguna. That is pretty interesting. Also no mention of the lap times he hit with the LFA. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know, but they're keeping pretty quiet about that .

As far as I know, carbon ceramic brakes are supposed to last a very long time, even under heavy track usage. There might have been some minor service done on that LFA with the brake pads, but I think that's all that would have been done in terms of brakes. The LFA brakes were designed for extreme durability, so I wouldn't expect the discs to need much servicing even during the life of the vehicle.
the rotors will last a long long time, but i am talking more on the brake fluid
Old 08-12-10, 11:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the LFA requires a fair bit of brake fluid servicing. For a car of this nature, it of course is to be expected I guess.

I'm also really curious how fast Scott was able to go through the corkscrew in the LFA.
Old 08-12-10, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the LFA requires a fair bit of brake fluid servicing. For a car of this nature, it of course is to be expected I guess.

I'm also really curious how fast Scott was able to go through the corkscrew in the LFA.
that's what i thought. that's why i think it would be great to see exactly how much and how often any service is done on the lfa for the past 7000 miles. then later on when lfa get to owners, look at the cost again. and that will be great comparison against other exotics and see how it add up.

considering how much to do an oil change on a ferrari / lamborghini, i can say lfa oil change can be a lot more expensive than normal lexus but still less
Old 08-12-10, 12:12 PM
LexFather

Some press pics...that came after Ryans lol

luggage kit
Old 08-12-10, 12:54 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Great pics of the yellow LFA!
Considering the LFA does not go into production until the end of this year, does anyone know or expect the LFA to have minor tweaks/changes/upgrades? Maybe based on addition testing and feedback? I know that Lexus is working on refining the transmission, but maybe the LFA could get a bump in hp? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)