LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 05:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

This is how the gear ratios look like for LFA:

1st - 52 mph
2nd - 77 mph
3rd - 104 mph
4th - 137 mph
5th - 173 mph
6th - 202 mph

That is one possible explanation that Lexus is learning from what the feedback track tests and reviews are giving back and is not worried at all that some reviews have been less than flattering. Lexus is most likely focused on the final product and making sure it gets everything right by the time it reaches the customers.

Having said that, making changes to the transmission ratios and adding a 7th cog might not be something Lexus feels is feasible especially if things are very tightly packed in the car that could drastically change things with the addition of a 7th gear. Eventhough, the engine's 9500 rpm rev limit is built for 7 short gears

I am surprised why Lexus never thought of it before considering BMW's 7 speed SMG gearbox has been around since 2002.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Actually they can modify a few things because it hasn't even begun production. I guess this is why they have these pre-production units and mules driving around (just seen pics of one on motortrend's forums). My guess is they are finalizing things to do with the engine and ecu? Perhaps testing longevity of these components to see how they stand up to being driven around daily. Good job by Lexus/Toyota, unlike the new 458 which seems to be a fire-starter!
Old 08-17-10, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

my question then is, why should they care that much into straight line acceleration which is such a small part of the whole performance pool for exotic car? especially from a dead stop? lexus cares about the overall package, track performance, and this is the best way they feel about it with the 6 gear design.

ls460 has 8 gears and the car came out in 2006, so you can be sure they thought about 7 gears long before that already.

and looking at the gearing, you can even question why they don't make it in such a way that the first gear goes up to 60mph, maybe that will help the 0-60 time.
Old 08-17-10, 06:13 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
my question then is, why should they care that much into straight line acceleration which is such a small part of the whole performance pool for exotic car? especially from a dead stop?
Perhaps Lexus should because the main target market for this car--the USA--cares most about straightline performance, especially from a dead stop?
Old 08-17-10, 06:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately, that is true.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Perhaps Lexus should because the main target market for this car--the USA--cares most about straightline performance, especially from a dead stop?

In my opinion, it goes deeper than that. Having 7 shorter gears will make a big difference in city driving and shorter sprints since the 9000 rpm is more readily accessible without having to go way outside the speed limit. Also it helps part throttle acceleration as well.

my question then is, why should they care that much into straight line acceleration which is such a small part of the whole performance pool for exotic car? especially from a dead stop? lexus cares about the overall package, track performance, and this is the best way they feel about it with the 6 gear design.

ls460 has 8 gears and the car came out in 2006, so you can be sure they thought about 7 gears long before that already.

and looking at the gearing, you can even question why they don't make it in such a way that the first gear goes up to 60mph, maybe that will help the 0-60 time.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-17-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 06:54 PM
LexFather

I am going to assume that while this is clearly by far the most extreme Lexus built they also wanted to meet quality and reliability targets. This is simply the most extreme car that can be driven around like a LS.

I don't think other give a squat about reliability. Clearly the market is willing to pay whatever prices the Euro's charge for parts and labor in maintaining their cars. So they can build very extreme cars as reliability isn't much of a concern.

In contrast it is for the LFA. It is a Lexus attribute. Thus maybe 50 or 100hp was sacrificed for a faster car so the engine is more reliable.

It could be an excuse but its also why the IS F has 414hp and is by far the most reliable in class instead of having 450hp and being less reliable.
Old 08-17-10, 08:47 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So true. They could have had the engine rev to 13,000 rpm I read. It'd be making well above 600HP if they did that. They didn't even include direct injection. I'm sure Lexus did this for a reason. Reliability. You see new 458's blowing their engine, catching it on fire, the LFA isn't trying to be apart of that crowd. You blow an engine, there's your car. Ferrari hasn't been known for reliability, Lexus has. So it's not going to harm Ferrari's reputation if their cars suffer from engine issues here and there, even if it's in the double digit percentages. The LFA will. Especially this being a Lexus, who is known for reliability, and this being their first Supercar. Anyway, any news on these tests? What were the lap times for the AutoZeitung test? I know it was 1.8 seconds faster around contridrom, but what about the other track?

EDIT: I've done some reading around and found a german website that I translated, on their forum there was the AMS test of the LFA with the 'disappointing' numbers of 4.2 to 60mph such and such. But one reader starts talking about the AutoZeitung comparo- and it seems that the #'s start to turn to the LFA's favor. Here is what I translated- through google;

To the statement of the Auto Zeitung:
'Am Bremspunkt vor der Spitzkehre erreicht das Duett Geschwindigkeiten von 204 bis 208 km/h. English: 'At the braking point before the hairpin, the duet reached speeds of 204-208 km / h. Hier sind stabile Bremsen gefragt, während es im Highspeed Sektor auf eine gute Balance ankommt. English: Here stable brakes are required, while in the high-speed sector to a good balance matters. Im Dynamik Sektor zählen Agilität und spontane Reaktionen.' English: In the dynamic sector include agility and spontaneous reactions. "

Die Zwischenergebnisse wurden in diesen drei Sektoren gemessen: English: The interim results were measured in these three sectors:

Start/Ziel Sektor: Lexus LFA 21,85 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 21,34 sec. English: Start / Target sector: Lexus LFA 21.85 sec - 21.34 sec AMG Mercedes SLS
Highspeed Sektor: Lexus LFA 37,96 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 38,68 sec. English: Highspeed Sector: Lexus LFA 37.96 sec - 38.68 sec AMG Mercedes SLS
Dynamik Sektor: Lexus LFA 35,85 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 37,48 sec. English: Dynamic Sector: Lexus LFA 35.85 sec - 37.48 sec AMG Mercedes SLS

RUNDENZEITEN: Lexus LFA 1:35,66 min - Mercedes SLS AMG 1:37,50 min. Engish: LAP: Lexus LFA 1:35,66 min - Mercedes AMG SLS 1:37,50 min

Der letzte Satz im Testbericht: English: The last sentence in the review:

'Der LFA dominiert ihn (Mercedes SLS AMG) in der Art eines präzisen Formel-Renners'. English: 'The CAA, it dominates (AMG Mercedes SLS) in the way of a precise formula-racer'

Looks like around the track the LFA is a beast- precise agile, quick in direction changes. It only loses out in the start. Obviously the lack of Launch Control is to blame. And for reference the CAA is the LFA! Goofy translation.

Last edited by TF109B; 08-17-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 10:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for posting.

Did you find the straight line numbers??? Looks like it was a modified Contidrom race track (longer track). LFA did very well in the track laps.

I think I read this:

LFA:

0 - 100 KM/H (62 mph): 3.9 seconds
0 - 200 KM/H (125 mph): 11.4 seconds
400 meters: 11.3 seconds

SLS AMG:

0 - 100 KM/H (62 mph): 3.8 seconds
0 - 200 KM/H (125 mph): 11.4 seconds

Is this what you found?

So true. They could have had the engine rev to 13,000 rpm I read. It'd be making well above 600HP if they did that. They didn't even include direct injection. I'm sure Lexus did this for a reason. Reliability. You see new 458's blowing their engine, catching it on fire, the LFA isn't trying to be apart of that crowd. You blow an engine, there's your car. Ferrari hasn't been known for reliability, Lexus has. So it's not going to harm Ferrari's reputation if their cars suffer from engine issues here and there, even if it's in the double digit percentages. The LFA will. Especially this being a Lexus, who is known for reliability, and this being their first Supercar. Anyway, any news on these tests? What were the lap times for the AutoZeitung test? I know it was 1.8 seconds faster around contridrom, but what about the other track?

EDIT: I've done some reading around and found a german website that I translated, on their forum there was the AMS test of the LFA with the 'disappointing' numbers of 4.2 to 60mph such and such. But one reader starts talking about the AutoZeitung comparo- and it seems that the #'s start to turn to the LFA's favor. Here is what I translated- through google;

To the statement of the Auto Zeitung:
'Am Bremspunkt vor der Spitzkehre erreicht das Duett Geschwindigkeiten von 204 bis 208 km/h. English: 'At the braking point before the hairpin, the duet reached speeds of 204-208 km / h. Hier sind stabile Bremsen gefragt, während es im Highspeed Sektor auf eine gute Balance ankommt. English: Here stable brakes are required, while in the high-speed sector to a good balance matters. Im Dynamik Sektor zählen Agilität und spontane Reaktionen.' English: In the dynamic sector include agility and spontaneous reactions. "

Die Zwischenergebnisse wurden in diesen drei Sektoren gemessen: English: The interim results were measured in these three sectors:

Start/Ziel Sektor: Lexus LFA 21,85 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 21,34 sec. English: Start / Target sector: Lexus LFA 21.85 sec - 21.34 sec AMG Mercedes SLS
Highspeed Sektor: Lexus LFA 37,96 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 38,68 sec. English: Highspeed Sector: Lexus LFA 37.96 sec - 38.68 sec AMG Mercedes SLS
Dynamik Sektor: Lexus LFA 35,85 sec - Mercedes SLS AMG 37,48 sec. English: Dynamic Sector: Lexus LFA 35.85 sec - 37.48 sec AMG Mercedes SLS

RUNDENZEITEN: Lexus LFA 1:35,66 min - Mercedes SLS AMG 1:37,50 min. Engish: LAP: Lexus LFA 1:35,66 min - Mercedes AMG SLS 1:37,50 min

Der letzte Satz im Testbericht: English: The last sentence in the review:

'Der LFA dominiert ihn (Mercedes SLS AMG) in der Art eines präzisen Formel-Renners'. English: 'The CAA, it dominates (AMG Mercedes SLS) in the way of a precise formula-racer'

Looks like around the track the LFA is a beast- precise agile, quick in direction changes. It only loses out in the start. Obviously the lack of Launch Control is to blame. And for reference the CAA is the LFA! Goofy translation.
Old 08-17-10, 10:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that's what I found. it's here- http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...lexus-lfa.html It's auto motor und sport's forum page. A guy in there is talking about the AutoZeitung test. The best part about it, is the last sentence. The LFA dominates (the AMG SLS) in the way of a precise Formula racer!

Last edited by TF109B; 08-17-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 10:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. It truly is a marvellous test. I read on the NAGTROC page that the red LFA has very sticky tires. I read it somewhere it is better equipped than the beaten down white European LFA prototype. Same red LFA was used for the SportAuto supertest.

Yeah, that's what I found. it's here- http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...lexus-lfa.html It's auto motor und sport's forum page. A guy in there is talking about the AutoZeitung test. The best part about it, is the last sentence. The LFA dominates (the AMG SLS) in the way of a precise Formula racer!
Old 08-17-10, 10:36 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

It might, but I think they are still just the regular Bridgestone tires. At least that's what is eluded to in the rest of the Forum. Also on Fastestlaps.com as well. One guy is trying to defend the SLS but the rest pretty much are in agreement that without launch control and it's spec tires that it's faster than the SLS around the track. The top speed isn't as fast but grip (tires) could be a factor in this as well.
Old 08-17-10, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Unfortunately, that is true.

In my opinion, it goes deeper than that. Having 7 shorter gears will make a big difference in city driving and shorter sprints since the 9000 rpm is more readily accessible without having to go way outside the speed limit. Also it helps part throttle acceleration as well.
so you will have to pick a side. you can't sometimes say lexus doesn't care about what others do but instead create what they think is the best machine, but then flip the coin and ask why didn't they do certain things to achieve numbers that certain market cares.

to me lexus did their own things on the car, it's great engineering and it has great performance, which is on the track. they are not tied down with just 0-60 and 1/4 mile

sorry but i just can't buy into that reason for 7th gear. i mean, cars like these, if you really push it, by the end of 3rd you are good into 100mph already. 6 or 7 gears aren't going to make much of a difference. and when you want to hit 9000rpm that hardcore, you are probably very ready to get into some speed. as i stated before, adding a 7th gear is not just simple as throwing in some gears and call it a day. space, calculations, ratios, performance, AND reliability, they all count i think
Old 08-18-10, 12:46 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone here makes some really great points about reliability. Forgive me if I repeat some points. I think reliability is a point that is often overlooked in any car, a car of the LFA's stature is no exception. I mean, the LFA might not the fastest 0-60 or the best handling car on the planet, but it will have something most other supercars do not and that is great reliability. The GTR had early issues with launch control and the transmission blowing out. I'm pretty sure the LFA will not have that problem as reliability is one of the key traits of Lexus. It will be able to measure up or even beat Ferraris/Lamborghinis in terms of performance and yet be as reliable as your average Corolla whether it be on the track or cruising the highway at 80 mph.

So now that I think of it the $400,000 price really isn't all bad but because you are paying for exclusivity, performance, AND reliability all wrapped up in something uniquely Lexus. Just my two cents.
Old 08-18-10, 07:17 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
The GTR had early issues with launch control and the transmission blowing out. I'm pretty sure the LFA will not have that problem as reliability is one of the key traits of Lexus. It will be able to measure up or even beat Ferraris/Lamborghinis in terms of performance and yet be as reliable as your average Corolla whether it be on the track or cruising the highway at 80 mph.
To be fair the GTR transmissions problems were blown way out of proportion.

But I completely agree that people buying ANY Lexus generally assume that they're buying a solid and reliable vehicle. I don't think the LFA should be an exception. I'd love to see the numbers over time for maintenance costs of an LFA versus comparable cars. Or even cars that may perform better at lower base price cost (GTR, 458, etc) just we could see if the argument that "it costs too much" still holds true including maintenance. I have a feeling the Euro makes will fall on their faces in comparing maintenance costs + base price of vehicle. Another thing that sucks about buying Ferrari's is time after time I hear of people who have the money and want to buy a Ferrari but are forced to buy a used Ferrari first and then pay exorbitant dealer markups for a brand new Ferrari. I'm hoping that'll never happen for the LFA.
Old 08-18-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

like koma said, with the lexus badge, i have more confidence on reliability. but on the lfa, that's remain to be seen. it's nothing like the other mass production lexus on the road, where there are thousands of them. with only 500 (give or take) on the road, it's a different story
Old 08-18-10, 10:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

like koma said, with the lexus badge, i have more confidence on reliability. but on the lfa, that's remain to be seen. it's nothing like the other mass production lexus on the road, where there are thousands of them. with only 500 (give or take) on the road, it's a different story
that was why I asked earlier if other exotics are as reliable as the LFA (so far) considering that it's been thrashed around the tracks already with no catastrophic break down (so far?)

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)