LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 09:16 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i liked the tv commercials, but the whole purchasing process seems rather aloof and arrogant.
I've heard that Ferrari makes you buy a lesser model, before being offered their top ones. At least with Lexus, you have a shot at the LFA if you filled out an application form.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course there's many 'exotics'. against any lamborghini i'd take the lfa. the lamborghinis are for ballers who like to be noticed. the lfa is much more subtle in looks, but the engine noise isn't i see an lfa much more like a ferrari - great high tech and performance with serious race-car inspired engineering.
Totally agreed. F cars have been my favorite exotics, but I never thought about owning one due to scary stories about maintenance/reliability. Same goes for Lambo's. On the other hand, the LFA offers the promise of Lexus's bullet proof reliability with the performance similar to the established exotics. The biggest single reason to choose the LFA, at least for me, is the incredible amount of effort Lexus put in to build this limited production run of LFA's. It makes me feel very special knowing that Lexus builds this car to represent its best, and that profit was not its primary/direct motivation.
Old 08-26-10, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I've heard that Ferrari makes you buy a lesser model, before being offered their top ones. At least with Lexus, you have a shot at the LFA if you filled out an application form.
kind of false actually. when the market was very very hot, meaning around 05-07, supply < demand. so dealerships played games and make newcomings get used / cheaper (less demanding) cars, and leave the higher value more limited ones to other people to "bid"

but nowadays? if you have money, you can get the 458 right the way. and if you have that much cash to show for the 599 gto, i don't think they have any problem selling to you (specially when they are trying to find buyers). i am talking about the US of course
Old 08-27-10, 05:54 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
kind of false actually. when the market was very very hot, meaning around 05-07, supply < demand. so dealerships played games and make newcomings get used / cheaper (less demanding) cars, and leave the higher value more limited ones to other people to "bid"

but nowadays? if you have money, you can get the 458 right the way. and if you have that much cash to show for the 599 gto, i don't think they have any problem selling to you (specially when they are trying to find buyers). i am talking about the US of course
No way Ferrari will sell a first timer a 599 GTO. Hell would Freeze over first. Also, if you want to buy a new Ferrari, you will pay a hefty premium the first couple of years in the model run. 458s I've seen on offer for around $355K.
Old 08-27-10, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MR_F1
No way Ferrari will sell a first timer a 599 GTO. Hell would Freeze over first. Also, if you want to buy a new Ferrari, you will pay a hefty premium the first couple of years in the model run. 458s I've seen on offer for around $355K.
i can tell you 458 prices have dropped since you last saw. that car isn't selling. you order one now and you can get one by end of the year. plus, if you go into showroom without doing your homework and bring someone that has connection, then you are asking for it anyway. it's no difference from getting a lexus. if you know people, then you can get a better price, even if you are first timer. bottom line is everything is linked to market. when market is good, everything has a premium and supplier can be "selective". when economy is not good, they are willing to deal with anyone. simple as that

Last edited by rominl; 08-27-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-27-10, 10:24 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i can tell you 458 prices have dropped since you last saw. that car isn't selling. you order one now and you can get one by end of the year. plus, if you go into showroom without doing your homework and bring someone that has connection, then you are asking for it anyway. it's no difference from getting a lexus. if you know people, then you can get a better price, even if you are first timer. bottom line is everything is linked to market. when market is good, everything has a premium and supplier can be "selective". when economy is not good, they are willing to deal with anyone. simple as that
I believe the 458 has some combustion issues, that an informed customers would not dare to touch... so unless you actually have tried to buy an 599 GTO, we can't be sure that Ferrari dealers would let you in.
Old 08-27-10, 10:50 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Word around the paddock is that Vitaphone Racing Team will ditch its Maserati MC12 after the 2010 season and will be running Lexus LF-A’s in the 2011 GT1 World Championship.
Interesting bit of news to go with the GT1 rumors that have been floating around

Link
Old 08-27-10, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I believe the 458 has some combustion issues, that an informed customers would not dare to touch... so unless you actually have tried to buy an 599 GTO, we can't be sure that Ferrari dealers would let you in.
458 sales have not been hot ever since the beginning, so that's even before any of those fire issue came up. it's purely due to the slow sales and the demand never lived up to ferrari's expectation.

599 gto aren't all sold at all, some of them are still left behind at dealerships (this is what ferrari means by spoken for, not to owners but allocated) and they can't seem to sell. i personally know an exotic owner with no ferrari history and he's offered a ticket to the 599 gto.
Old 08-27-10, 05:56 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DeTomaso
Maybe Lexus should consider equipping the 'standard' LFA with the revised transmission of the Nürburgring version. Quicker shifts and hopefully better spreading.
Anyway the Goodwood time of 1.24.87 still stands, as well as a great TG laptime of 1.22.8 in the wet. I know Top Gear magazine tested the LFA against the 458, GT3 RS, SLS and Lambo for the september edition which came out this week. They also tested them on the TG track for this test so we should get a dry laptime very soon.
Sadly it seems that the LFA was again tested in the wet, only this time it was also beaten by the Porsche and Mercedes, more so by the Ferrari, according to someone who claims to have read the magazine.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/1...rcar-showdown/
Originally Posted by primatives
i read skimmed through this and i was disappointed that the LFA was again tested in wet weather. the porsche and merc did the track on whatever track they did around 1:21 the LFA was in the 1:22 and the ferrari in the 1:19. They also said the Stig really likes the LFA.
1:19 sounds unreal for a wet time though. Makes me wonder if the track condition happened to be a lot better when it was Ferrari's turn to lap the Top Gear's track. It's all Top Gear's conspiracy I say!
Old 08-27-10, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Well TopGear selected LFA as one of the 5 greatest supercars of the year. How could it be a conspiracy?

LFA was the only car with a wet lap.

The Ferrari 1:19.1 was in the dry (which already is on the TopGear powerlaps board), the Porsche GT3 RS and SLS AMG both ran 1:21.6 in the dry.

LFA ran 1:22 in the wet.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Sadly it seems that the LFA was again tested in the wet, only this time it was also beaten by the Porsche and Mercedes, more so by the Ferrari, according to someone who claims to have read the magazine.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/1...rcar-showdown/1:19 sounds unreal for a wet time though. Makes me wonder if the track condition happened to be a lot better when it was Ferrari's turn to lap the Top Gear's track. It's all Top Gear's conspiracy I say!
Old 08-27-10, 09:27 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Well TopGear selected LFA as one of the 5 greatest supercars of the year. How could it be a conspiracy?
Just because the LFA is listed as one of the greatest 5 it doesn't mean they are not going to secretly try to make sure that the LFA doesn't come out on top of the 5. I'm just sayin'.
LFA was the only car with a wet lap.

The Ferrari 1:19.1 was in the dry (which already is on the TopGear powerlaps board), the Porsche GT3 RS and SLS AMG both ran 1:21.6 in the dry.

LFA ran 1:22 in the wet.
Ah, in other words they did not retest any of these cars for the magazine at all, but simply reused the lap times from the TV show. Very disappointing that they did not take the opportunity of getting their hands on the LFA for the second time to get a dry lap time for the LFA so that an apple-to-apple comparison can be made.
Old 08-27-10, 09:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, I know it is pretty lame considering they claim TheStig takes each car and flogs it around the race track when actually they recycled the old numbers of the LFA and Ferrari 458. The only cars that were actually run (in the dry) were GT3 RS and SLS AMG. Not sure about the Superleggera.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
in other words they did not retest any of these cars for the magazine at all, but simply reused the lap times from the TV show. Very disappointing that they did not take the opportunity of getting their hands on the LFA for the second time to get a dry lap time for the LFA so that an apple-to-apple comparison can be made.
Old 08-28-10, 01:05 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A half second off the SLS in the wet compared to the dry. And two seconds off the 458. If Top gear's words are to be taken into consideration, 4 to 5 seconds could be found in the dry. That'd put the LFA in the 1:18's to 1:17's.
Old 08-28-10, 04:25 PM
LexFather

I am certain the LFA would have ripped that track up. It isn't a brute force faster than almighty car. The grip in corners is just phenomenal. I don't think the SLS would be able to keep up in corners.

Ferrari has a fantastic trick diff that makes their cars damn near handle like AWD cars. The tech is pretty amazing.

Seriously in my laps with Pruitt I was beyond shocked at how the car handled in the dry. Grip was out of this world.
Old 08-28-10, 05:12 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sport auto test showed the LFA taking some corners on the Nurburgring at 1.35G's. Pretty slick especially considering the 458 was at 1.25G's. But according to the article on the handling course it cornered the same as the 458 at 1.3G's. It just seems their numbers are inconclusive and sporadic at best. 1.35G's around the ring then 1.3G's on the other tracks? Weird.

The news about the LFA being in GT1 next year instead of the Vitaphone Maserati's sounds awesome. It'd be great to see those slick racing LFA's with the Vitaphone livery/colors.
Old 08-28-10, 05:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

What was the SLS AMG peak cornering g force?

SLS AMG is disadvantaged by 400 lbs extra weight as well. The test weight is usually close to 3850 - 3900 lbs compared to the LFA's 3400 - 3500 lbs test weight.

I think the best comparison was the AutoZeitung one where LFA dominated the SLS AMG in every sector of the track including the high speed straight sector where LFA first gained the lead.

Originally Posted by TF109B
The sport auto test showed the LFA taking some corners on the Nurburgring at 1.35G's. Pretty slick especially considering the 458 was at 1.25G's. But according to the article on the handling course it cornered the same as the 458 at 1.3G's. It just seems their numbers are inconclusive and sporadic at best. 1.35G's around the ring then 1.3G's on the other tracks? Weird.

The news about the LFA being in GT1 next year instead of the Vitaphone Maserati's sounds awesome. It'd be great to see those slick racing LFA's with the Vitaphone livery/colors.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)