LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:43 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have a top speed over 210! Not a messily 202.
Old 10-20-09, 08:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First of all I am totally in shock. I hated the concept LF-A, and though the final product will look like an ugly abortion. This thing look unbelievably good, and very unique, not a mere copy of any other super car. If I had 350K, I'd buy it

Now, with that being said, I cant believe my eyes looking at the picture below... The engine is compact and I don't see cam gear... Is this... a push rod engine?!?! Unless its chain driven, and theres a chain under the cam covers.

If it is indeed pushrod, for all the crap I've been talking about pushrods on internet over the years, I'm just gonna ban myself from the internet :X

And what the hell is that thing to the left of the engine with a bunch of tubes connected to it from the engine?

Last edited by Och; 10-20-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

my thoughts...

although some here are disappointed by exterior, or performance, i think the car is a GREAT achievement for lexus/toyota.

looks - i think it looks GREAT, in and out. i personally don't like the red on the steering wheel, but i'm sure there will be options as far as colors for things like that. heck, given the exclusivity, whoever the lucky buyers end up being will probably have a lot of decisions to make on choices.

performance - GREAT, even though we're only going by lexus numbers, and they may well be very conservative. i personally don't care whether it's 3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 seconds 0-60 - any of those is freaking fast, and bordering on insane to use on public roads. and top speed, forget it. maybe good for bragging rights, but for me, it's about the EXPERIENCE/FEELING of driving it, not the specs.

experience - from the car magazine review (great piece, btw), i think it's a critical, but praiseworthy review, and they really do like the car, although they're not too keen on the transmission or brakes, but heck, we've got 18 months until one of these is delivered so lexus will undoubtedly work on it!

price - if this car is north of $300k in the u.s., then that really is madness, and pretty much no matter how good the car is, it doesn't make sense because it's so far out of whack with the rest of the product line. this halo might as well be in heaven for as remote as it will be from the rest. the NSX was viewed as pricey when it came out, and even accounting for inflation, it was WAY cheaper than the LFA is likely to be.

intangibles - if i were to sit in and drive an LFA, and then sit in and drive a 430 scuderia for example, i expect my thoughts on the LFA would be - i feel at home and familiar, it being a lexus, and the car is very impressive, but the banshee engine whail, the handling, the clunky transmission are absolutely, positively NOT lexus-like. in the 430 scuderia, even before i've turned it on, i'd think about the HISTORY... how long Ferrari has been at this game. what the ferrari may lack in techno glitz, it most likely more, more, MORE than offsets that in the feel of a no-nonsense street legal RACE CAR, with unique, and some might say quirky features and design, others might say soul/character, but very italian, very passionate, and a soul-stirring drive. i've been in a 360 at least, and experienced some of that. i've been in a GT3, awesome car, but not quite the same.

availability - i'm most disappointed by reading that it's gonna be another 18 months until this baby actually shows up anywhere. that's just too long IMO...

as a 'halo' - i don't think it makes any sense as a lexus, but maybe the car is basically a showcase for toyota, but they decided to make it a lexus to have GREAT dealerships to sell it through. to me it is only a game changer for lexus if it is the real beginning of a less than glacial march to have more sporty models in the line-up. i have no problem with lexus continuing to have cushy, comfy, very refined vehicles too, but offer some actual fun too, beyond ONE MODEL right now (IS-F). if they do this, they will become a much more serious competitor to mercedes and bmw.

speaking of bmw, anyone else notice the LFA V10 has similar HP/TQ to an M5? of course the M5 is 1200lbs heavier...

in the end, a few lucky, very wealthy individuals (or with interesting priorities ) will own an LFA, eventually, and will be enthralled with it.

CONGRATS to Lexus.
Old 10-20-09, 08:46 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Photos

More pics here
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4611.html
Old 10-20-09, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
I had to read it to believe it...C&D calls $350K Lexus supercar a "bargain":

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Point made: compared to the CFRP supercars like the $500K SLR McLaren and Ferrari Enzo, it encompasses tech, performance, etc.

Motor Trend sees oppositely--jumped into the high end of a deep pool (most expensive vs. less expensive Ferraris, etc.)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

Both mags however suggest that the LFA's CFRP tech will make it into future Lexus cars.
Tidbits

Like AMG powerplants, each LFA V-10 will be handbuilt by one man. In fact, there are two; both are employees of Yamaha (which also designed the V-10's heads). Each man will finish an engine every two days.

The final LFA chassis sports a CFRP central tub with aluminum subframes front and rear; the package is wrapped in carbon-fiber bodywork. Total weight savings versus aluminum: about 220 pounds. All CFRP work is performed in-house. It doesn't hurt that Toyota has a long history in textiles, but switching from sweaters to weaving carbon fiber required lavish expenditures in tech and tools. (Look for future Lexus CFRP as Toyota monitizes its investment.)

Remember, though, the LFA is first and foremost a corporate halo, a rolling Super Bowl ad intended to ignite passion and fire in a nonsupercar brand.

The Lexus LFA is an extraordinary feat of engineering.

And since Lexus says it will be selective about whom it will sell to—car collectors and high-profile individuals who use the car rather than park it—the LFA should raise the cachet of the brand as a whole.

The last car that incorporated a similar level of technology, performance, and exclusivity was the $650,000 Ferrari Enzo. At $350,000, the LFA begins to look like something of a bargain.

We drove the car on a mixture of autobahn and dual-track roads, as well as at the Nürburging. Everywhere, all day long, it’s an absolute missile

For all that, the most impressive aspect of the car is its stability at speed. We saw just over 170 mph out on the Ring (and somewhat lesser speeds on the autobahn), and even then, the thing feels as planted as a sequoia (the great tree, not the lumbering SUV). Unlike the video-gamey Nissan GT-R, the LFA is much more tactile.
Old 10-20-09, 08:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my thoughts...

although some here are disappointed by exterior, or performance, i think the car is a GREAT achievement for lexus/toyota.

looks - i think it looks GREAT, in and out. i personally don't like the red on the steering wheel, but i'm sure there will be options as far as colors for things like that. heck, given the exclusivity, whoever the lucky buyers end up being will probably have a lot of decisions to make on choices.

performance - GREAT, even though we're only going by lexus numbers, and they may well be very conservative. i personally don't care whether it's 3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 seconds 0-60 - any of those is freaking fast, and bordering on insane to use on public roads. and top speed, forget it. maybe good for bragging rights, but for me, it's about the EXPERIENCE/FEELING of driving it, not the specs.

experience - from the car magazine review (great piece, btw), i think it's a critical, but praiseworthy review, and they really do like the car, although they're not too keen on the transmission or brakes, but heck, we've got 18 months until one of these is delivered so lexus will undoubtedly work on it!

price - if this car is north of $300k in the u.s., then that really is madness, and pretty much no matter how good the car is, it doesn't make sense because it's so far out of whack with the rest of the product line. this halo might as well be in heaven for as remote as it will be from the rest. the NSX was viewed as pricey when it came out, and even accounting for inflation, it was WAY cheaper than the LFA is likely to be.

intangibles - if i were to sit in and drive an LFA, and then sit in and drive a 430 scuderia for example, i expect my thoughts on the LFA would be - i feel at home and familiar, it being a lexus, and the car is very impressive, but the banshee engine whail, the handling, the clunky transmission are absolutely, positively NOT lexus-like. in the 430 scuderia, even before i've turned it on, i'd think about the HISTORY... how long Ferrari has been at this game. what the ferrari may lack in techno glitz, it most likely more, more, MORE than offsets that in the feel of a no-nonsense street legal RACE CAR, with unique, and some might say quirky features and design, others might say soul/character, but very italian, very passionate, and a soul-stirring drive. i've been in a 360 at least, and experienced some of that. i've been in a GT3, awesome car, but not quite the same.

availability - i'm most disappointed by reading that it's gonna be another 18 months until this baby actually shows up anywhere. that's just too long IMO...

as a 'halo' - i don't think it makes any sense as a lexus, but maybe the car is basically a showcase for toyota, but they decided to make it a lexus to have GREAT dealerships to sell it through. to me it is only a game changer for lexus if it is the real beginning of a less than glacial march to have more sporty models in the line-up. i have no problem with lexus continuing to have cushy, comfy, very refined vehicles too, but offer some actual fun too, beyond ONE MODEL right now (IS-F). if they do this, they will become a much more serious competitor to mercedes and bmw.

speaking of bmw, anyone else notice the LFA V10 has similar HP/TQ to an M5? of course the M5 is 1200lbs heavier...

in the end, a few lucky, very wealthy individuals (or with interesting priorities ) will own an LFA, eventually, and will be enthralled with it.

CONGRATS to Lexus.
Great post bit!!!
Old 10-20-09, 08:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More from the Edmunds folks:

The first surprise is how well this car rides. At low speed, the bump absorption and overall comfort could be compared with a sporting sedan. Push harder, though, and you start to appreciate the benefits of all that 'Ring time. The weight distribution is 48 percent front/52 percent rear, and this helps the car change direction with impressive rapidity. The 2010 Lexus LF-A is sharp, agile and feels much smaller on the road than, say, the Ferrari 599 GTB. The brakes are also hugely effective, even if they do squeal a little.

This is a car that wants to engage and inspire and to work with the driver. Our only important criticism is of the electrically assisted steering, which is pleasingly linear and sensibly direct, but could use a more communicative feel.

As part of our time with the car, we were taken for a lap of the Nordschleife with the LF-A's chief test-driver, drift champion and Japanese GT racer Akira Lida. For what it's worth, Akira claims a best lap of 7:30, but reckons the LF-A is capable of 7:23 given a clear track. Naturally enough, this would make it a few seconds quicker than a Nissan GT-R.
http://www.insideline.com/lexus/lf-a...and-video.html

Note: the European price is $534,000; the US price is to be around $380,000.
Old 10-20-09, 08:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Some nice details

more at http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ngine_photo_44
Old 10-20-09, 08:59 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think they should have worked on the front end a little more, its kinda off for me, cartoon-ish? like the SL? it'll grow on me but thats my 2 cents

i cant wait to see these hit the streets!
Old 10-20-09, 09:00 PM
LexFather

So looks like a key and a start button?
Old 10-20-09, 09:03 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the Mark Levinson sound system is standard or optional at the price. Looking foward to seeing and hearing it in person.
Old 10-20-09, 09:05 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
And what the hell is that thing to the left of the engine with a bunch of tubes connected to it from the engine?
thats the dry sump reservoir.

ashame the stitching doesnt line up.
Old 10-20-09, 09:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm guessing the stitching will line up on the production version--heck with the L-Select program they will get to choose the color, thread, and type of stitching!

However I don't think many have the time to admire the stitching while at 150 mph.

Ah! A cutout area for the F-marque logo.

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I wonder if the Mark Levinson sound system is standard or optional at the price. Looking foward to seeing and hearing it in person.
Hehe, sure it is! Question is, how many speakers?
Old 10-20-09, 09:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

apparently on racing cars, its common to turn a key and then push the button to start the car (on the steering wheel in this case)

the stitching might not match up in a preproduction model
Old 10-20-09, 09:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
thats the dry sump reservoir.

Huh?

C/D: "There are four driving modes: automatic, normal, wet, and sport; the driver can also select manual shift speeds"

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)