LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 10:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

There was a long story behind it.

Yes, they were initially turned down multiple times. Lotus was persistent and eventually sent a delegate to Japan led by none other than one of the Lotus chiefs. They were eventually successful in making Toyota budge on licensing of 2ZZ.

This V10 is a masterpiece and I feel should be only in Lexus cars or LFA alone.

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm confused, are you saying that Lotus was turned down for using the 2ZZ engine because from what I understood the 2ZZ is used in the Elise and Exige.
Old 08-30-10, 03:14 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been said before and again, the LFA's engine is bespoke. The Esprit will use the IS-F's V8 and maybe massage it a little, at most. I don't see Toyota/Lexus letting Lotus use their V10 when they aren't even willing to let the next gen GS-F use it. This is just a rehashed story. It's all speculation. Lotus is lightweight. The Esprit should be no different. 450HP out of the IS-F's engine should be no problem for them. Combined with a car that's potentially less than 3000lbs. and they've got a winner on their hands. No need for the LFA engine.
Old 08-30-10, 10:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

AutoBild supercar comparo coming on September 17th. In this particular picture, LFA looks the best. No questions.

Too bad, it is the thrashed old earliest prototype that has been used in "too many" comparisons. I wish it was the new fresh red prototype:

Old 08-31-10, 05:01 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
SportAuto called LFA a 'cruise missile' and a 'rocket' to 200 km/h.

From GermanCarForum:

This pretty much explains everything. Now I am so curious to find out how quickly LFA can hit high speeds with the spoiler retracted or spoiler angle altered for optimal acceleration.
This begs the question as to why Lexus engineers did this? Did they overlook? or this adds 'tons' of stability a speed over 200km/h where others must be ready for take off at 300 Km/h? I suspect it's the latter for added safety to LFA owners
Also, is this the case with the SP8 LFA's? These cars were able to smoke everybody else around the Ring, so I am very curious what effect the spoiler has on them.
Old 08-31-10, 07:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I think the spoiler on the SP8 class LFA is not the same as the stock production LFA.

They put extra downforce in the production model for what it seems like added stability at high speeds. The issue can easily be resolved if Lexus allows the driver to retract the spoiler at any speeds he wents or shut it off completely.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
This begs the question as to why Lexus engineers did this? Did they overlook? or this adds 'tons' of stability a speed over 200km/h where others must be ready for take off at 300 Km/h? I suspect it's the latter for added safety to LFA owners
Also, is this the case with the SP8 LFA's? These cars were able to smoke everybody else around the Ring, so I am very curious what effect the spoiler has on them.
Old 08-31-10, 02:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The LFA's ran in SP8 class were production ready units. Only added body panels roll cage stripped interior and safety equipment. Of course the exhaust was freer flowing as well as a fixed rear wing. I'm sure the LFA itself produces enough downforce without the wing angle the way it is. The difference in drag between what Lexus states and what magazine find could be answered in one word, pre-production. I'm thinking Lexus put the angle of the wing as it is for precautionary reasons. They're not concerned about magazines claiming it's top speed isn't reachable, or the launch control doesn't work. I bet they give these examples out to publications for feedback. Why not have everyone test your pre-production cars for you and see what they come to conclude? Then up to PRODUCTION those 'problems' could be done away with. They still have prototypes running around on the highways in california. A guy on Motortrend forums saw one a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure Lexus knows what they're doing. Even guys from Toyota's F1 team had a helping hand in it. It'll be a blast to see what it can REALLY do when it's first production models reach customers. And what's with this rumor that the LFA's will replace the Vitaphone MC12's in GT1 next year? Could it be true? Those LFA's will look good in that Livery. I hope they're a bit lower to the ground than the Nurburgring racers though, they looked 'big' or taller than the road cars.
Old 08-31-10, 03:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I hope this is true.

I do remember seeing this one video from a GT3 RSR cup car camera. It was a 10 minute long video where you could at first see the GT3 RSR cup car at first pulling away from the LFA. Over the next 8 minutes the GT3 RSR cup car keeps passing other cars. The LFA reappears in the screen at about 8:30 and another duel happens between the LFA and RSR Cup car (must be doing 150 + mph) and then all of a sudden the LFA blasts forward and then vanishes into the horizon.

When I first saw it, knowing how much faster an RSR Cup car is compared to a standard GT3 RS, LFA with stock 560 PS just walked away like it was standing still. That I think truly showed how good the LFA top end is.

Originally Posted by TF109B
The LFA's ran in SP8 class were production ready units. Only added body panels roll cage stripped interior and safety equipment. Of course the exhaust was freer flowing as well as a fixed rear wing. I'm sure the LFA itself produces enough downforce without the wing angle the way it is. The difference in drag between what Lexus states and what magazine find could be answered in one word, pre-production. I'm thinking Lexus put the angle of the wing as it is for precautionary reasons. They're not concerned about magazines claiming it's top speed isn't reachable, or the launch control doesn't work. I bet they give these examples out to publications for feedback. Why not have everyone test your pre-production cars for you and see what they come to conclude? Then up to PRODUCTION those 'problems' could be done away with. They still have prototypes running around on the highways in california. A guy on Motortrend forums saw one a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure Lexus knows what they're doing. Even guys from Toyota's F1 team had a helping hand in it. It'll be a blast to see what it can REALLY do when it's first production models reach customers. And what's with this rumor that the LFA's will replace the Vitaphone MC12's in GT1 next year? Could it be true? Those LFA's will look good in that Livery. I hope they're a bit lower to the ground than the Nurburgring racers though, they looked 'big' or taller than the road cars.
Old 08-31-10, 03:38 PM
DeTomaso
Rookie

Just found this nice vid of the LFA race version on the Fuji Speedway.
It is not a complete lap but sounds great and good driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ka6Byj8-Ys
Old 08-31-10, 08:07 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That thing was moving around Fuji. That long straight was devoured. It had good speed, went through all 6 gears. Well I assume it was in 2nd gear at the start of the straight, but you heard how long it was on full throttle in 6th. I'm sure it was reaching speeds close to 170mph in that video though.
Old 08-31-10, 08:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, 5th gear tops out at 173 mph@ 9300 rpm so if he was going all-out in every gear and was in 6th gear, then it should be 180+ mph atleast.

That thing was moving around Fuji. That long straight was devoured. It had good speed, went through all 6 gears. Well I assume it was in 2nd gear at the start of the straight, but you heard how long it was on full throttle in 6th. I'm sure it was reaching speeds close to 170mph in that video though.
Old 08-31-10, 08:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I'm thinking the race car might have shorter gearing. I'd make it a bit shorter for Fuji to keep the rev range high because of the flowing nature of the track. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's doing 180 down that straight. It is pretty long though, I think a whole kilometer, so you could be right. I just think they might have shortened the gearing in the race car. I donno why this would be, but I'd imagine they would- considering the ring cars 'only' reach 185 down it's straight. Partly because it's uphill but then there's no reason to have long gearing, it's not LaSarthe.
Old 08-31-10, 09:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The full-production LFA cannot come soon enough, in my opinion. These pre-production press ringer LFAs somewhat make me nervous. LOL

I am really waiting for BestMotoring to do a feature on LFA and do a full track comparison with other cars around Tsukuba circuit.

Wonder who will drive the LFA? Hmmm....Orido (The Toyota JGTC race car driver), Tsuchiya San (Drift King) or Kino****a (Lexus LFA 24-hours endurance racer).

I'm thinking the race car might have shorter gearing. I'd make it a bit shorter for Fuji to keep the rev range high because of the flowing nature of the track. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's doing 180 down that straight. It is pretty long though, I think a whole kilometer, so you could be right. I just think they might have shortened the gearing in the race car. I donno why this would be, but I'd imagine they would- considering the ring cars 'only' reach 185 down it's straight. Partly because it's uphill but then there's no reason to have long gearing, it's not LaSarthe.
Old 09-01-10, 06:36 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking, what ever happened to that prototype that was caught with no rear radiator fans?
Old 09-01-10, 07:31 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

LFA vs R8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAs7...layer_embedded
Old 09-01-10, 08:25 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

The LFA's look and sound are better than the R8's. Wonder what they were trying to do?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)