LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 07:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Yes I know the GT500 racers are fast but they are limited by stringent regulations too. So sorry if I don't find a production-based race car beating another production-based race car too mind-blowing. After all the balance and dynamics of a production car do change greatly when you add such a huge wing, make it widebody, shift/reduce body weights by removing sound-deadening materials and passenger seat and adding a roll cage, and use slick tires, etc.. After all that, very little of the race car's balance and dynamics can speak for the production car anymore. All I'm saying is that I hope these LFA test drivers can share more thoughts on their testing of the production car because that's a lot more relevant to people interested in the LFA. Racing the LF-A (note the dash) is great, but it's really more about marketing and/or testing if the car's core components can withstand severe abuse than about testing the dynamics of the car.
What don't you get though? The LFA this year was SLOWER than the LFA of last year, and there was no WIDEBODY on that car. That was the same dimensions as the production car, the only thing this years car has is the look of the production unit. the widebody was merely fender flares for the wider tires. Steel brakes were used. Not the carbon ceramic ones the production unit use. Air restrictors were put in place reducing horsepower under 500, it weighs the same as the production car. The race LFA was the production LFA with race equipment. Lexus said, 'people bring their street car to race, were bringing our race car to the street'. If anything the LFA is based off the Race Car, not vice versa. That's what that statement was about. The LFA is a race car, has a race engine, a race chassis, race suspension etc. The race LFA isn't different from the Street LFA, the street LFA is just added luxury to a race car.

Oh and the Super GT cars are not production based any longer. They only retain the roof of the production car they are based on. The whole car is now carbon fiber, the engines are race engines at 3.4liter V8's. What GTR do you know that weighs 2000lbs less than it's road going counterpart? That's what the SuperGT cars are nowadays.

Last edited by TF109B; 09-15-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 10:16 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
What don't you get though? The LFA this year was SLOWER than the LFA of last year, and there was no WIDEBODY on that car. That was the same dimensions as the production car, the only thing this years car has is the look of the production unit. the widebody was merely fender flares for the wider tires. Steel brakes were used. Not the carbon ceramic ones the production unit use. Air restrictors were put in place reducing horsepower under 500, it weighs the same as the production car. The race LFA was the production LFA with race equipment. Lexus said, 'people bring their street car to race, were bringing our race car to the street'. If anything the LFA is based off the Race Car, not vice versa. That's what that statement was about. The LFA is a race car, has a race engine, a race chassis, race suspension etc. The race LFA isn't different from the Street LFA, the street LFA is just added luxury to a race car.
Don't you see how the similar total weights are absolutely meaningless from my last post? The simple fact remains that the wider wheels, the huge fixed rear wing and the stripped interior (lower center of gravity) ALL help cornering tremendously, which is what you were originally trying to quote, that the LF-A racer betters the GT500 race cars in cornering. All the other mods such as a lower rev limiter and steel brakes, have nothing to do with cornering speeds. In the end the superiority of the LF-A racer's cornering capability simply cannot represent the production LFA in any meaningful way.
Oh and the Super GT cars are not production based any longer. They only retain the roof of the production car they are based on. The whole car is now carbon fiber, the engines are race engines at 3.4liter V8's. What GTR do you know that weighs 2000lbs less than it's road going counterpart? That's what the SuperGT cars are nowadays.
Super GT cars may not be a direct production car conversion anymore but are certainly still production-feasible if properly detuned.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-15-10 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 01:03 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mister Two
In the race car all the useless (in terms of handling) weights such as the sound-deadening materials, passenger seat and interior amenities are replaced with useful weights such as a wider body, wider wheels, a bigger wing, a stronger roll bar and a roll cage. The total weight may end up being similar to the production car but the difference in balance and dynamics will be like night and day as a result.
Fair enough, but why the winner of the 2010 NR 24, the BMW M3 GT2 weights 1250 kg, 400 kg less than the production version, while the racing LFA weights about the same as the production LFA?
And why the 250 kg difference between racing LFA and M3 GT2? Are Lexus not capable of such dramatic weight reduction?
Old 09-16-10, 01:13 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DFGeneer
Fair enough, but why the winner of the 2010 NR 24, the BMW M3 GT2 weights 1250 kg, 400 kg less than the production version, while the racing LFA weights about the same as the production LFA?
And why the 250 kg difference between racing LFA and M3 GT2? Are Lexus not capable of such dramatic weight reduction?
It was the class Lexus entered into, SP8, which was close to production.

No offense mr. two but you don't know what you're talking about. A race car that weighs 3300lbs. compared to one that weighs 2700lbs. will have a big deal with the cornering. The LFA was ran at it's production weight, around 3300lbs. The thing doing the work here is the tires and the wing. The production LFA can corner at 1.5G. That's a lot higher than any of us have experienced. In Auto Zeitung's LFA test at the nurburgring the cornering speeds were 10kmh faster than a 458! So when you say there is no relevance, that's wrong.

And to top it off, if the LFA race car is doing corners faster than GT500 cars in race trim, that's spectacular. I'm not sure if you pay any attention to SuperGT, but they corner spectacularly, the big rear wing and the aero parts on those cars make them faster than GT1 cars, and on par with LMP2 cars. If they weren't limited to 500hp and ballasted they would set lap times comparable to almost LMP1 standards. So saying the LFA corners at Fuji faster than them is freaking amazing.

Listen to this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBWp6ftxRXA
Old 09-16-10, 03:49 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B

I mostly agree with you, but

a) I'm not buying that bolded statement, I don't think it is true. (I know it has restrictors, I don't think it had less than 500hp or even 530 for that matter)

b) SuperGT cars weigh around 1100kg. The GT500 GT-R is far, far lighter than just a 200lb difference of it's road going counterpart, more like 1400lbs.
Old 09-16-10, 04:01 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
lololol did he say Epic?
Old 09-16-10, 06:37 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Now that was a completely biased review, in a GOOOD way. I love it.

Thanks for posting that 05. Some idiots replied to this video has no clue of the reality, for example I would like to see where you can buy 458, comparably equipped to the LFA, for half the price. I've read some people paid over 300K for it. For that, you get a car that might 'smokes' everyone else, in a spontaneous combustion event that is!

Last edited by 07grIS350; 09-16-10 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 02:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I mostly agree with you, but

a) I'm not buying that bolded statement, I don't think it is true. (I know it has restrictors, I don't think it had less than 500hp or even 530 for that matter)

b) SuperGT cars weigh around 1100kg. The GT500 GT-R is far, far lighter than just a 200lb difference of it's road going counterpart, more like 1400lbs.
Super GT cars weigh 1100kg, with ballast added. I didn't say 200 lbs, i said 2000 lbs. Which is the truth. the GTR weighs around 3900lbs. Super GT cars (without the extra ballast weight) are around 2000lbs.

And why would you doubt the race LFA has less than 500HP? All the other cars in other classes don't produce that much. The winning BMW which was a GT2 car barely makes 480HP. If the LFA had over 530HP like you claim it would overtake those cars down the straights likely with ease. But the LFA didn't, and those cars (R8LMS, GT3RSR, BMWZ4) even lapped the LFA. So how do you figure the LFA produced more than 530 or even 500hp?
Old 09-17-10, 08:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Lexus LFA - 7:38,85
Lamborghini LP570-4 - 7:40,76
Nissan GT-R - 7:43,65
Wiesmann GT MF5 - 7:52,39

Don't sue me, but looks like LFA kicked some major a** around Nurburgring in a head-to-head supercomparo.

The cars involved are Porsche Turbo S, LP570-4 Superleggera, 458 Italia, Nissan GTR, SLS AMG.

The layout in this track test is the full track. Not the SportAuto 20.8 KM layout and LFA clocked an amazing 7:38 on the longer track layout. You can subtract 5 - 7 seconds to get the 20.8 KM layout result.

It just goes to show how amazingly awesome LFA is. Even with the same power (560 HP) and stripped down to the bones (LP-570 Superleggera) so much so that you can see the welds and also with AWD, LFA still knocked it out by over 2 seconds. What a car!!!

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-17-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-17-10, 08:50 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Fyi

I just got this e-mail from my dealer, a few of us will head over on our lunch break to see it!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-lfa-invite.jpg  
Old 09-17-10, 08:54 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

0 - 60 mph in 3.2 seconds???? Did anyone else notice that??

Is that just a dealership fad or actually officially Lexus now is claiming 3.2 seconds 0 - 60 mph??

Originally Posted by Tee
I just got this e-mail from my dealer, a few of us will head over on our lunch break to see it!
Old 09-17-10, 09:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tee, I love you.
Old 09-17-10, 10:16 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

Lexus LFA - 7:38,85
Lamborghini LP570-4 - 7:40,76
Nissan GT-R - 7:43,65
Wiesmann GT MF5 - 7:52,39

Don't sue me, but looks like LFA kicked some major a** around Nurburgring in a head-to-head supercomparo.

The cars involved are Porsche Turbo S, LP570-4 Superleggera, 458 Italia, Nissan GTR, SLS AMG.

The layout in this track test is the full track. Not the SportAuto 20.8 KM layout and LFA clocked an amazing 7:38 on the longer track layout. You can subtract 5 - 7 seconds to get the 20.8 KM layout result.

It just goes to show how amazingly awesome LFA is. Even with the same power (560 HP) and stripped down to the bones (LP-570 Superleggera) so much so that you can see the welds and also with AWD, LFA still knocked it out by over 2 seconds. What a car!!!
Thanks for the heads up. Do you have the lap times for the Turbo S, 458 and SLS? (EDIT: NVM, just saw the thread on germancarforum.com and the rest of the results are said to be in the next issue. Disgusting magazine-selling tactics.)

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-17-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-17-10, 02:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Here are some of the fine details found inside the "LFA Ordering Briefcase"

3 Official Wheel Finishes

"Buff Polish Finish" = Looks like chrome, probably done by hand..

"Dark Premium Metallic Coating"

"Light Premium Metallic Coating"

6 Official Caliper color options:

Black, Blue, Silver, Red, Gold & Yellow

AND

A boat load of exterior & interior color swatches.. even stitching

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-17-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Wow thanks guys for all the recent info!

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)