LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 04:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apN0n...ayer_embedded#!
Old 10-17-10, 06:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that's some pretty damn good time on the 458, great job!
Old 10-17-10, 06:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, weird, on the yellow one, is the spoiler design changed a little? somehow i recall the spoiler lines up with the two stripes on the side
Old 10-17-10, 06:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Every single review I've read on the 458 is saying while not the most involving car the handling and acceleration are simply out of this world.

From my understanding Ferrari thinks it is so good there won't be a Stradale or Scuderia version.
mike, you are right, i have also heard the same. the car doesn't "feel" like previous ferraris, part of the reason why a lot of ferrari owners hesitated on the car. but in terms of performance, the car is pretty insane
Old 10-17-10, 06:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Thanks for posting the update. 6 seconds is ridiculous. I wonder if there's mention of which tires are used. And sorry to say this yet again but, this is why Lexus need to step up to the plate themselves and publish the lap time that they do have, which, by the way, could be every bit as "real world" as any magazine's as long as Lexus can provide evidence that the car was all stock and the driver was a real human (who happens to be a lot more familiar with the dynamics of the LFA and has the luxury of trying for the best lap for a lot more times). People looking at this chart would then be reminded of the fact that the LFA was proven capable of sub-7:20 if Lexus would only put the fate of their performance image in their own hand. Without the "halo"/safety net of an official sub-7:20 time, the same chart that you were using to shut up the haters last week may now probably be used by them to shut you up.
i agree with this as well. like it or not, they put up too much hype in the beginning. if they are not able to provide what they claimed, then it's going to affect them negatively
Old 10-17-10, 06:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TF109B
The LFA had that poster/flyer that said 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, remember? Everyone said it was just for a dealership, but I figure it's pretty accurate. Just think, the LFA is still wearing those shoddy bridgestone tires, well, if it wore the tires the 458 had, it could take off at least 3-4 seconds. What I think is that the wing is angled the way it is now to keep the car planted in place of mechanical grip or tire grip. So the aero grip is needed because the tires aren't the best or the stickiest there is. So potentially the wing could lose some of it's angle and still produce 80% of the downforce it does currently, and still be able to corner at tremendous speeds because of the increase in tire grip.
this logic is wrong. that specific ps2 tires are good on the 458 doesn't mean it's going to do miracle on the lfa. that's why the bridgestone on the lfa is supposed to be specifically designed for the lfa to maximize its performance. putting the 458 tires on lfa might actually affect its overall performance.
Old 10-17-10, 06:55 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody have an actual video (not just the .gif) of the LFA blowing past the camaro?
Old 10-17-10, 07:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCVV...layer_embedded

And a bonus video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o5pN...layer_embedded
Old 10-17-10, 07:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Technically he is right.

The tires Lexus has selected for the LFA are used by no serious performance car. The Bridgestone S001 tires custom built for LFA are maximum performance tires, but geared towards street use.

An example is the 458 Italia that just like LFA factory stock has a custom built version of the Bridgestone S001 model for it, yet Ferrari has never delivered the 458 Italia to any track test whatsoever with these tires. They actually select the optional modified Michelin Pilot PS2 tires with some special built compound from the slick cup+ tires. Do you see what I am getting at here???

Both LFA and 458 Italia factory stock have their own custom version of the Bridgestone S001 tires, yet Ferrari has never run a single track test with these tires. They deliver 458 Italia to journalists with special version of the Pilot PS2 tires.

It is simply beyond me why Lexus would select what is considered one of the most mediocre maximum performance tires for a car like LFA. Tires do make a huge difference and can easily sway the laptime 5 - 8 seconds easily.

Originally Posted by rominl
this logic is wrong. that specific ps2 tires are good on the 458 doesn't mean it's going to do miracle on the lfa. that's why the bridgestone on the lfa is supposed to be specifically designed for the lfa to maximize its performance. putting the 458 tires on lfa might actually affect its overall performance.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-17-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 08:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by carLx
Anybody have an actual video (not just the .gif) of the LFA blowing past the camaro?
The Camaro was sand bagging it....

As a matter of fact as soon as he saw the LFA in his rearview, the Camaro driver signaled over to the Left, to allow the LFA to safely pass...

Joe Z
Old 10-17-10, 08:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

umm, weird, on the yellow one, is the spoiler design changed a little? somehow i recall the spoiler lines up with the two stripes on the side
No it's still the same... The winglets on the trunk do not line up with the retractable spolier...

Here is an up & down on the same Gray & White LFA

Up

Down

Here it is tucked away on the Pearl Yellow LFA

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-17-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i absolutely understand what he and you aer trying to say, and that's very possible that the lfa will perform better in some tires. however, that doesn't make what he said right, coz' unless it's proven, one can't say the 458 tires will make the lfa faster just coz' the 458 beat it out by 6 secs

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Technically he is right.

The tires Lexus has selected for the LFA are used by no serious performance car. The Bridgestone S001 tires custom built for LFA are maximum performance tires, but geared towards street use.

An example is the 458 Italia that just like LFA factory stock has a custom built version of the Bridgestone S001 model for it, yet Ferrari has never delivered the 458 Italia to any track test whatsoever with these tires. They actually select the optional modified Michelin Pilot PS2 tires with some special built compound from the slick cup+ tires. Do you see what I am getting at here???

Both LFA and 458 Italia factory stock have their own custom version of the Bridgestone S001 tires, yet Ferrari has never run a single track test with these tires. They deliver 458 Italia to journalists with special version of the Pilot PS2 tires.

It is simply beyond me why Lexus would select what is considered one of the most mediocre maximum performance tires for a car like LFA. Tires do make a huge difference and can easily sway the laptime 5 - 8 seconds easily.
Old 10-17-10, 09:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I agree there is no direct comparison available yet. Lexus has already entered a contract with Bridgestone so I doubt there will be a comparison available. All I am saying is Lexus should have had a contract with Michelin for Pilot PS2 tires custom built for LFA.

Even Ferrari has avoided using these tires for journalist testing in all 5 - 6 tests I have seen and put Pilot PS2 tires everytime on them. That says a lot. I am seriously just questioning the Bridgestone tires since they do not have a reputation that will typically be associated with a car like LFA on track performance.

You can see from the Evo magazine test of 10 major UHP tires and S001 tires ranked poorly at no. 7 while PS2 tires gave the fastest lap time on the same car.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Like I mentioned, typically tires on a huge 20.8 km track can easily make a difference of up to 8 - 10 seconds.

i absolutely understand what he and you aer trying to say, and that's very possible that the lfa will perform better in some tires. however, that doesn't make what he said right, coz' unless it's proven, one can't say the 458 tires will make the lfa faster just coz' the 458 beat it out by 6 secs

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-17-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some tires are just much better in performance. And semi-race/slick tires are much better than street tires. So even Sport Cup tires will be better than these bridgestone's that the LFA has. If it weren't true why is it that the 458 didn't wear those Bridgestone tires but instead Michellin cup tires? The S001 Bridgestone tires are not semi-slicks like the one's worn on the 458 in this test. If you watch racing, you'll see that tires are a big part in performance. With tire grip you can rely less on aero grip. So like I said, IF Lexus were to use tires like the 458 did, you can expect it to corner better. In turn, cornering better can reduce time lost, which could allow the LFA at least 4 or 5 seconds over the course of 12mile track. So no, there's nothing illogical in my post. And I even said if they relied less on aero grip, they could potentially change the angle of the wing to produce slightly less downforce, but still have the stickier tires to make up for that. In turn, the acceleration would be quicker, the top speed would be higher, yet the cornering wouldn't suffer so much.

Last edited by TF109B; 10-17-10 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, they are Michelin Pilot PS2 tires that are custom version for the 458 Italia with some pattern and compound of the Pilot Cup + tires on the outer shoulders for maximum cornering speeds.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Some tires are just much better in performance. And semi-race/slick tires are much better than street tires. So even Sport Cup tires will be better than these bridgestone's that the LFA has. If it weren't true why is it that the 458 didn't wear those Bridgestone tires but instead Michellin cup tires? The S001 Bridgestone tires are not semi-slicks like the one's worn on the 458 in this test. If you watch racing, you'll see that tires are a big part in performance. With tire grip you can rely less on aero grip. So like I said, IF Lexus were to use tires like the 458 did, you can expect it to corner better. In turn, cornering better can reduce time lost, which could allow the LFA at least 4 or 5 seconds over the course of 12mile track. So no, there's nothing illogical in my post. And I even said if they relied less on aero grip, they could potentially change the angle of the wing to produce slightly less downforce, but still have the stickier tires to make up for that. In turn, the acceleration would be quicker, the top speed would be higher, yet the cornering wouldn't suffer so much.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)