LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Also, the front engine/rear wheel drive midship layout LFA has is far more expensive to build than a rear engine/rear wheel drive midship layout that typical entry level Ferraris have. LFA has a carbon fiber torque tube just for this reason.

Also, the revolutionary things such as a 1.26: 1 counter gearset that adds torque multiplication (increases overall final drive from 3.42:1 to 4.3:1) and also helps achieve a lower center of gravity.

Inherently, front-engine/RWD midship layout is far superior in terms of stability than the rear-engine/RWD midship layout and gives a much more neutral balance inherently. Lexus achieved that magic number thanks to its super light V10 that weighs as much as a 3.0 Liter V6.

It is just that most companies opt for the rear-engine/RWD layout to achieve that 62/48 magic distribution simply because it is cheaper and easier to achieve.
just for my own knowledge, i thought most ferraris are considered to have mid engine design, where the engine is actually between the front and rear axles? rear engine design would be something like porsche 911?
Old 10-27-10, 02:41 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ferrari's founder said that the horse should pull the carriage. Or in other words, the engine should be in the front with the tires driven in the rear.
Old 10-27-10, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Ferrari's are mid-engined. The 911 is rear engined. Technically the LFA is mid-engined(front mid-ship).

Also wasn't the CGT a manual? It had a 3rd pedal, I remember reading about the clutch on it and the wood gear ****. So really apples to oranges her(in regards to the tranny).
Old 10-27-10, 07:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Thanks.

That is the common misconception. Most people think mid-engined means engine between the rear axle and cabin. However, mid-engine means placing the engine as close to the center of the car. In front mid-engine, the cabin moves back as the engine gets to the center of the chassis while in rear mid-engine, the cabin moves forward to make room for the engine between the rear axle and cabin.

Both ways, the magic 62/48 weight balance can be achieved, but the front mid-engine is far more challenging to execute and also much more expensive to produce.

Also, I personally love the long hood/short rear deck look as the driver sits almost over the rear axle and looks far more proportionate and "masculine" than the short hood and long rear deck look, which for some creepy reason makes me think of a S10 Pick-up truck with the cab so close to the front radiator and the front wheels and long rear deck.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ferrari's are mid-engined. The 911 is rear engined. Technically the LFA is mid-engined(front mid-ship).

Also wasn't the CGT a manual? It had a 3rd pedal, I remember reading about the clutch on it and the wood gear ****. So really apples to oranges her(in regards to the tranny).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-27-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Thanks. I do believe Lexus did state they chose front mid-ship so the car doesn't try to kill you ever time you drive It really helps with balance but it does seem less exotic then the engine behind the driver. There is something just cool about seeing the engine in the back, especially as a showcase like in the R8, Ferraris, etc. The ZR1 has some clear plastic to see the engine up front but it just seems odd to me.
Old 10-27-10, 08:07 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy the LFA because on the promise of it being the complete driving experience package, not because of any single feature. Also, I like its exclusivity, backed up by one of the best car makers. Last, but not least, I love the idea of getting something created based on passion vs those based on commercial purposes (I guess this is how an art collector would feel?).
If performance/dollar mattered, a modded GT-R would get my money.
If Ferrari offered free maintenance for life, then I might consider its cars. No amount of badge prestige can offet the risks (fire in the case of the 458).

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, Toyota/Lexus is not known as early adaptors of major technologies. One example is the usage of Li ions batteries in its Hybrids. However, when they do use the tech, they often make the best of them.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 10-27-10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:28 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The biggest thing is the response and the sound, which you cannot get with any of the other cars you mentioned.Getting tuned by Yamaha music with precise octave engineering on LFA and the whole "rich three D sound filled in cabin" is just mind boggling.

You would never get bored with this car. I can guarantee you that. I know I would never.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I buy the LFA because on the promise of it being the complete driving experience package, not because of any single feature. Also, I like its exclusivity, backed up by one of the best car makers. Last, but not least, I love the idea of getting something created based on passion vs those based on commercial purposes (I guess this is how an art collector would feel?).
If performance/dollar matter, a modded GT-R would get my money.
If Ferrari offered free maintenance for life, then I might consider its cars. No amount of badge prestige can offet the risks (fire in the case of the 458).

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, Toyota/Lexus is not known as early adaptors of major technologies. One example is the usage of Li ions batteries in its Hybrids. However, when they do use the tech, they often make the best of them.
Old 10-27-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks. I do believe Lexus did state they chose front mid-ship so the car doesn't try to kill you ever time you drive It really helps with balance but it does seem less exotic then the engine behind the driver. There is something just cool about seeing the engine in the back, especially as a showcase like in the R8, Ferraris, etc. The ZR1 has some clear plastic to see the engine up front but it just seems odd to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-engine_design

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-engine_design
Old 10-27-10, 08:57 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

The biggest thing is the response and the sound, which you cannot get with any of the other cars you mentioned.Getting tuned by Yamaha music with precise octave engineering on LFA and the whole "rich three D sound filled in cabin" is just mind boggling.

You would never get bored with this car. I can guarantee you that. I know I would never.
I think you're right on the money with the sound of the LFA V10. Talk about artistic expression in the form of race car exhaust notes. Then there is the beautiful interior, on par with luxury sedans, that contrasts all this rawness of the car.
I don't think I will ever get bore with this car.
Old 10-27-10, 09:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks.

That is the common misconception. Most people think mid-engined means engine between the rear axle and cabin. However, mid-engine means placing the engine as close to the center of the car. In front mid-engine, the cabin moves back as the engine gets to the center of the chassis while in rear mid-engine, the cabin moves forward to make room for the engine between the rear axle and cabin.

Both ways, the magic 62/48 weight balance can be achieved, but the front mid-engine is far more challenging to execute and also much more expensive to produce.

Also, I personally love the long hood/short rear deck look as the driver sits almost over the rear axle and looks far more proportionate and "masculine" than the short hood and long rear deck look, which for some creepy reason makes me think of a S10 Pick-up truck with the cab so close to the front radiator and the front wheels and long rear deck.

I'm sure you had a slight typo on your 62/48

The LFA is split 48:52... Lexus spec data shows me its clearly a nicley maximized Front Mounted engine design..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-engine_design

Below is another page from the school of LFA.

joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-weight-distribution.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-27-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 10:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Nice S001's btw...

Enjoy

Joe Z
Old 10-27-10, 10:16 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

You can clearly see how the LFA's engine is placed after the front axle in these pics. It's therefore front mid-engined by definition.

It's in the PR too.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...010916291.aspx
Originally Posted by Lexus PR
The V10, capable of more than 500 horsepower and test-track speeds greater than 200 mph, is mounted in front of the passenger compartment but behind the front-axle centerline in what the LF-A's engineers refer to as a "front-mid" configuration.
Old 10-27-10, 10:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mister Two
You can clearly see how the LFA's engine is placed after the front axle in these pics. It's therefore front mid-engined by definition.

It's in the PR too.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...010916291.aspx
I disagree Mister!!!

That PR is old and it seems to refer to the concept roadster...

The LFA Engine is mounted adjacent to the Front wheels.. It hangs out behind them to achieve further balance on the engineers 48:52 weight goal..
You can even see how the engine is Not mounted behind the shocks or shock towers...
**Which is found mostly on Front-Mid Engines like older Corvettes, Honda S2000's or even a MB SLR McLarens, where the engines are located behind the Front-Axles / Shock Towers

Originally Posted by Lexus PR

GEARBOX
• Lightning-quick Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG) that always puts the driver in full control
• Six-speed ASG drives the rear wheels through a limited slip differential via torque tube for exceptional
drivetrain integrity
• Unique paddle-shift feeling, with the choice of seven gearshift speeds
• Transaxle layout over the rear axle results in an ideal 48:52 weight distribution for exceptional cornering
agility and high-speed controllability
• Ultra quick shifts – carried out in just 0.2 seconds – complemented by four driving modes – AUTO, SPORT,
NORMAL and WET for exceptional versatility

The V10’s explosive performance is managed by an equally advanced transmission. The LFA’s specifically developed all-new, six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG) drives the rear wheels through a torquesensing
Limited Slip Differential, and is mounted in transaxle layout over the rear axle to achieve an optimal, 48:52 weight distribution.

While many believe that a 50:50 weight distribution is the most desirable for a high-performance sportscar, the perfect weight ratio for any vehicle is one that will allow it to live up to its full dynamic potential. With this in mind, the LFA’s development engineers aimed for a 48:52 weight distribution, a balance that combines the controllability and straight-line stability of a front-engine rear-drive layout with the handling dynamism and cornering agility of a mid-engine rear-drive platform.
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-27-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lfa, ferrarri (make it 458 or 599), lambo, they are all mid engines. it's just whether the engine is more toward the front or rear. the lfa, it's tough to say if it's fully front engine or, front-mid
Old 10-27-10, 10:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
lfa, ferrarri (make it 458 or 599), lambo, they are all mid engines. it's just whether the engine is more toward the front or rear. the lfa, it's tough to say if it's fully front engine or, front-mid
Like Joe Z posted the LFA documentation that it is front-mid engined. Even if you look at pictures of the engine compartment, the engine is entirely behind the front axle as the strut towers are well in front of the engine and placed at the mid-point of the chassis as the cabin has been pushed back over the rear axle.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)