LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh of course, i actually have that picture from the LA autoshow last year as well that's why i also wasn't very sure about the engine mounts.
Old 10-27-10, 05:55 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Screen Shots of the LFA Forza Motorsports 3

LFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFmu...layer_embedded

Credit gose to The Lexus Enthusiast: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/10/2...motorsports-3/
Old 10-27-10, 06:04 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, Forza looks so bland to me. Everything looks like it's made of plastic or cardboard. I'm waiting for GT5, patience is my friend, so the delay aint nothing to me.

Anyway, it's funny to hear comments on other boards about the LFA and how it's 'slow' and that other cars best it. When you try to bring out to them that these LFA's right now are the same cars that've been around since this time last year! If you remember back before the Tokyo Motor Show, we saw a crap load of photos of the LFA leading up to it's unveiling. Remember that guys? Where we saw videos and pictures of the white and the black LFA on the Ring? Those are the same cars we see today in these magazine tests, on youtube, in America, in Europe. I think there's only 2 or 3 in Europe, and two in America, and who knows how many in Japan. All of these cars have over 8k miles on them. They've been beaten around the ring day after day in testing. Obviously, these cars having the mileage they do are the one's that were previously camouflaged, had different bodywork, etc. It seems to me that's all Lexus did. They changed the bumper to the production unit, took off the tape, and said 'here ya go' have at it.
Old 10-27-10, 06:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

I know what you are talking about.

Although, the haters would come up with whatever they can even if it is completely untrue. Still, LFA had been lacking launch control system, which resulted in some tests that were less than stellar.

Now, that LFA has launch control and the straight line prowess was shown in the "Battle of the supercars", some good magazine like Road&Track or Car&Driver needs to test it with full launch control system and also with the real LFA tires on. I am sure it can easily get down to 11.2 - 11.3 secs @ 128 - 129 mph, which would shut the haters up.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Sorry, Forza looks so bland to me. Everything looks like it's made of plastic or cardboard. I'm waiting for GT5, patience is my friend, so the delay aint nothing to me.

Anyway, it's funny to hear comments on other boards about the LFA and how it's 'slow' and that other cars best it. When you try to bring out to them that these LFA's right now are the same cars that've been around since this time last year! If you remember back before the Tokyo Motor Show, we saw a crap load of photos of the LFA leading up to it's unveiling. Remember that guys? Where we saw videos and pictures of the white and the black LFA on the Ring? Those are the same cars we see today in these magazine tests, on youtube, in America, in Europe. I think there's only 2 or 3 in Europe, and two in America, and who knows how many in Japan. All of these cars have over 8k miles on them. They've been beaten around the ring day after day in testing. Obviously, these cars having the mileage they do are the one's that were previously camouflaged, had different bodywork, etc. It seems to me that's all Lexus did. They changed the bumper to the production unit, took off the tape, and said 'here ya go' have at it.
Old 10-27-10, 06:46 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just finished reading a new LFA book sent out by Lexus to the buying customers. What an amazing story on how the LFA got to its current form, for example, the engineers got the order to build the CFRP body in mid 2005 and it took them only 3 short years to perfect the production process of this material from scratch, in-house. They were told that this work does not have to be tied to a schedule..Wow.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, I could imagine how difficult it must have been to achieve that tiny packaging with the 10 individual throttle bodies sticking out. It is definitely a huge accomplishment.

Like I stated before, I strongly believe Lexus decided not to use direct injection due to issues that high-revving cars have direct injection resulting in carbon build-up that leads to a lot of issues. I think their goal was met of achieving around 115 HP/Liter while retaining reliability and more importantly the flattest torque curve imaginable. I am sure they still can easily squeeze out another 20 - 35 HP, if they wanted to. 'Ring edition already makes 570 HP.

I cannot believe how many people who believe whatever they read have said, "458 with only 4.5 Liter V8 makes 398 ft-lbs of torque while LFA with 4.8 Liter V10 makes 355 ft-lbs of torque". Ofcourse, they do not understand LFA cylinder size is much smaller than the 458 Italia and focused on filling them up very fast to achieve the highest revs possible and reaching them quickly, which is why the "peak" is lower and is completely unimportant compared to the shape of the entire torque curve across the rev range.

Upon close inspection, I had posted a comparison where 458 Italia only has a spike in the midrange between 3500 - 4000 rpm where it produces 398 ft-lbs of torque while LFA produces has a significantly superior torque curve between 6000 - 9500 rpm where 458 Italia makes around 10 - 15 wheel torque less. The 458 also hits the limiter at 9000 rpm.
Old 10-27-10, 07:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That sounds awesome.

I can bet it must be a great pass time to read those books Lexus keeps sending you.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I've just finished reading a new LFA book sent out by Lexus to the buying customers. What an amazing story on how the LFA got to its current form, for example, the engineers got the order to build the CFRP body in mid 2005 and it took them only 3 short years to perfect the production process of this material from scratch, in-house. They were told that this work does not have to be tied to a schedule..Wow.
Old 10-27-10, 09:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

This Video was Fantastic.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAiBubMsuOs
Old 10-28-10, 01:12 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Those Forza pics of the LFA look decent. Can't wait to see what the LFA looks like in GT5 though.

Originally Posted by rominl
not trying to be argumentative, coz' i don't think either side has solid answers and both sides have valid points. it's mainly about talk of what-ifs on the lfa and how things might be different. toyota made their choices, they might think it's the best, but at the same time they aren't offering any figures to disprove otherwise.

but...

so, suddenly sound > performance?

and carrera gt is a car that's 7 yrs old. i am not sure if using single clutch setup on that car is a good idea?
Exactly. Toyota made some choices, while others made different choices. It is what it is.

My point is the Carrera GT is still regarded as a great supercar, and I don't see as much complaints about its manual as I see about the LFA's automated manual.

I'm sure you know the LFA is as much about sound and experience as it is about performance.

Yup exactly. Documented proof that there was no time limit on the LFA project, as well as no budget limit .
Old 10-29-10, 06:36 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Those Forza pics of the LFA look decent. Can't wait to see what the LFA looks like in GT5 though.

Yup exactly. Documented proof that there was no time limit on the LFA project, as well as no budget limit .
Yes, no doubt about it. On the last few pages of the book, the LFA's chief engineer, wrote how this whole thing was his and his alone. No bean counters or other senior management had any say in any aspect of buiding this car. His main philosophy was, that if any decision were made by a committee, it would be a middle ground compromise, and he'd have none of that.
It's a true engineering masterpiece.
Old 10-29-10, 08:21 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

This is an old article (1-19-10), but Great story and nice detailed information.. (sorry if its a repost)

Joe Z
Old 10-29-10, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

nice article for a spectacular engine and chassis.
Old 10-29-10, 10:40 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Thanks for the article. Many great insights to the backgrounds and internals of this engineering masterpiece.
Originally Posted by Haruhiko Tanahashi
If we can't do a small sports car powered by a 1.3-L inline four, then go to the other extreme and do a supercar.
The Daihatsu Copen 1.3 received almost universal acclaim for its design and driving dynamics and sold extremely well, given its limited production. A successor was shown as a concept in 2007 but never went into production. I wonder why Toyota doesn't want to continue the development of the model. Turn it into a hardtop sports coupe and they have another instant icon.

At least the FT-86 is still forthcoming I guess.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-29-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 11:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Yes the Scion FR-S should be exciting.. But it won't look nearly as good as the FT-86 concept...

Joe Z
Old 10-29-10, 12:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, no doubt about it. On the last few pages of the book, the LFA's chief engineer, wrote how this whole thing was his and his alone. No bean counters or other senior management had any say in any aspect of buiding this car. His main philosophy was, that if any decision were made by a committee, it would be a middle ground compromise, and he'd have none of that.
It's a true engineering masterpiece.
Yup definitely a masterpiece . Like the 1st generation Lexus LS, the LFA shows what Toyota is capable of when they try really hard and place no limits on themselves.
Old 10-29-10, 06:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

If you read the article closely, LFA is pretty much a grand tribute and farewell of Toyota/Lexus to the internal combustion and naturally aspirated engines since the future direction of Toyota corp. is hybrids.

I could only hope somehow Lexus surprises everyone and increases the horsepower to 120 HP/Liter at 580 HP for both standard and Nurburgring edition for the production model.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yup definitely a masterpiece . Like the 1st generation Lexus LS, the LFA shows what Toyota is capable of when they try really hard and place no limits on themselves.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)