LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 02:35 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You never know what kind of real power it puts down till it's in your hands on a trusted dyno. The exhaust isn't as free-flowing as it could be I'm sure. You could gain a good bit of power from that. Lexus even decreased the revs because of longevity, even though 9500rpm is sky high, I think it was stated somewhere it could rev to 11 or 12,000rpm if they wanted it to. The LFA is a Lexus, even if it's a supercar, remember that. Other's don't seem to. Because it's a Lexus it has to maintain that Lexus quality and standard, reliability and longevity. They could have done a 458 and let it catch fire. But that's not Lexus now is it?
Old 10-31-10, 05:26 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
This is an old article (1-19-10), but Great story and nice detailed information.. (sorry if its a repost)

Joe Z
Mr. Yamaguchi was telling his version of the LFA's beginning, which is fairly accurate. In Mr. Haruhiko's own words, apparently, someone from Yamaha told him to forget about the idea of creating a supercar in the very first brain storming session. It ticked him off to no end. While humiliated, he's made up his mind that he'd call the shots on this project alone.

Regarding the choice of the V10, one of his main reasons was the sound. His very first item in the LFA's initial plan was sound : "Personally, I think sound is the most important element that gives rise to the state of euphoria in a supercar".

Also, he discussed his reasons to go with the front-of-the driver engine architecture. As someone has mentioned before, he knew this is safer for the driver. "In the Palm of Buddha" is the main idea, where the driver can push the car close to the limit with full feedback as to how far more he/she could go with no surprises.
Old 10-31-10, 12:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Did the article explain why Yamaha discouraged him?? I think it must be because Yamaha had been discouraged and alienated over the years by Toyota/Lexus' corporate policy since Toyota corp. wanted only to make efficient, luxurious and reliable cars and never asked Yamaha to build an all-out masterpiece engine for them.

The last time Yamaha built in an engine for Toyota Corp. was in 1999, which was the Celica GTS 2ZZ-GE, which was also capable of revving up to 10,000 rpm with stronger valve springs and fuel pump. I own this engine myself and I can tell this engine is insanely solid despite being revved up to 8400 rpm limit regularly and with 100,000 km on it.

I could only imagine how well LFA V10 will hold up over the years since the engineering is so much superior to anything Lexus/Toyota has ever built.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Mr. Yamaguchi was telling his version of the LFA's beginning, which is fairly accurate. In Mr. Haruhiko's own words, apparently, someone from Yamaha told him to forget about the idea of creating a supercar in the very first brain storming session. It ticked him off to no end. While humiliated, he's made up his mind that he'd call the shots on this project alone.

Regarding the choice of the V10, one of his main reasons was the sound. His very first item in the LFA's initial plan was sound : "Personally, I think sound is the most important element that gives rise to the state of euphoria in a supercar".

Also, he discussed his reasons to go with the front-of-the driver engine architecture. As someone has mentioned before, he knew this is safer for the driver. "In the Palm of Buddha" is the main idea, where the driver can push the car close to the limit with full feedback as to how far more he/she could go with no surprises.
Old 10-31-10, 12:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

The last time Yamaha built in an engine for Toyota Corp. was in 1999, which was the Celica GTS 2ZZ-GE, which was also capable of revving up to 10,000 rpm with stronger valve springs and fuel pump. I own this engine myself and I can tell this engine is insanely solid despite being revved up to 8400 rpm limit regularly and with 100,000 km on it.
Hey don't forget Yamaha built part of my 2UR-GSE in my ISF.
Old 10-31-10, 12:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flipside909
Mine too.... LoL
Old 10-31-10, 01:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Mine too.... LoL
Sorry, you are right. I stand corrected. Lexus indeed gave Yamaha a sizable role in the development of the 2UR-GSE engine.

I assume Lexus began development of LFA well before the IS-F engine saw Yamaha getting involved in the development. That probably explains why Yamaha was so indifferent and discouraging towards Yamaguchi's dream of the V10 materializing.

I think this video illustrates well why the engine is so well built. I don't know if this is due to internal harmonic balancing of the engine or some special motor mounts that result in no vibration at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uenE8...layer_embedded
Old 10-31-10, 03:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8XvEPozsmQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2SK...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUj6q...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y7q...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjYJM...eature=related
Old 10-31-10, 05:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red is, IMO, the hands-down best color on this car. I'd prefer darker wheels though.
Old 10-31-10, 06:35 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha as an organization, did not discourage him. From reading his writting I believe only one or a few individuals from Yamaha thought they (Lexus) were in over their heads with the idea of building a supercar. Remember, this was only the initial brain storming session. I think, once the decisions were made on the LFA, Yamaha did played a big part in building the engine. In fact, Mr Haruhiko referred to this individual(s) as "someone in the company", and that demonstrated how closely they worked together behind the scene. Whatever happend, I am thankful that Lexus has a stubborn chief engineer that would not take no for an answer.

By the way thanks for posting the videos of the red LFA. This morning I saw a clip of the white on black interior LFA and I liked it too.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Did the article explain why Yamaha discouraged him?? I think it must be because Yamaha had been discouraged and alienated over the years by Toyota/Lexus' corporate policy since Toyota corp. wanted only to make efficient, luxurious and reliable cars and never asked Yamaha to build an all-out masterpiece engine for them.

I could only imagine how well LFA V10 will hold up over the years since the engineering is so much superior to anything Lexus/Toyota has ever built.
Old 10-31-10, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...exus_lfa-video

The article is not online yet but the LFA beat the 599 HGTE.

Well its by a point, so basically a tie but it's pretty shocking to continue to read reviews of a "Lexus" versus cars like "Ferrari" and the LFA continues to perform and show how well it belongs in this elite class of vehicles. I have to give C&D credit here as I usually am bashing them but seems they gave the LFA a fair shake (Haven't read the entire article yet).

The summary was basically "if Toyota put this much passion in all their cars they would be unbeatable".

We discussed it some in the big LFA thread but I don't think anyone was aware the LFA actually came out on top in the comparo.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The red is, IMO, the hands-down best color on this car. I'd prefer darker wheels though.
Agreed. I adore it in red.
Old 10-31-10, 07:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, sicklex. If LFA won, that is spectacular. Did they actually do full tests in the comparison (0-60 mph, 1/4 mile, skidpad etc.)??? I am sure the new yellow prototype with launch control can match the 599 GTB HGTE in 1/4 mile obviously beat it around the race track.

Yes, the general impression was that it was a casual b-road comparison posted in a blog. I was not aware that it was a full-out comparison. Was it??

If it was, I would go and check the new edition of C&D and see if it was actually a full comparison. I would still say since the old white European prototype did no have launch control and beaten down badly so much, it is best to not publish any statistics until the full-production model comes out with launch control and real tires.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed. I adore it in red.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-31-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 07:57 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I don't think the engine was 'built' by Yamaha. Lexus/Toyota did the building, tuning was done by them, acoustics were done by them. There's no articles that I've read that says Yamaha built the engine, in fact it says it's hand built by 'Lexus Works' right on the engine cover.
Old 10-31-10, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It was a full test in C&D.
Old 10-31-10, 08:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Any scans?
Old 10-31-10, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Mag just came out, saw it in the store. Haven't gotten my free issue yet As Bob stated, full test! Dodge Charger was on the cover.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)