LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 05:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it says Lexus on the engine...

Just because it says Yamaha on their hats doesn't mean those are all Yamaha guys. A few of them are Toyota people, and in actuality, Yamaha people are Toyota people. They've collaborated before, and Toyota owned a part of Yamaha. It was almost like a 'tuning arm'. There's no reason to argue over this, whoever built the engine is irrelevant. Yamaha=Toyota; Toyota=Yamaha.
Old 11-01-10, 05:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Ofcourse, it will say Lexus on the engine. Why would Lexus put Yamaha on the engine cover when it is a Lexus engine and Lexus is paying for the entire project? Lotus Elise engine does not say 'Toyota' on the engine cover, but says Lotus on it.

What that proves is Yamaha played a central role in the development of this engine and their overwhelming presence in the development is signified by the 'Yamaha' hats everyone is wearing. They were there right from the beginning at the grass-root level. Not just to tune the acoustics of the engine or to put some final touches.

Originally Posted by TF109B
And it says Lexus on the engine...

Just because it says Yamaha on their hats doesn't mean those are all Yamaha guys. A few of them are Toyota people, and in actuality, Yamaha people are Toyota people. They've collaborated before, and Toyota owned a part of Yamaha. It was almost like a 'tuning arm'. There's no reason to argue over this, whoever built the engine is irrelevant. Yamaha=Toyota; Toyota=Yamaha.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-01-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 05:34 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one denies that, but no one should think that it's not a Lexus engine. Indeed it is. Yamaha didn't design it, come up with it, plan it or any of that. Helping with the engine is another story, but nothing states that it was a 'Yamaha engine'. That's what I'm getting at. I could care less who makes or builds it, I know it's a Lexus engine. The whole point is, the thing is an engineering marvel. Smaller, lighter in every dimension than a Toyota 3.5liter V6? That's pretty slick, Ferrari can't say that.
Old 11-01-10, 05:54 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That coincided with their decision to enter F1. Their first F1 car was in 2002. Actually they decided to enter F1 that season, but were already developing F1 technology as far back as 2000 after their GT-One LeMans project was stopped.
Actually, even before that, Yamaha had an entry into F1, which was actually Toyota saying "guys, get in there, see what this is all about, we want to be there in a couple years". They also developed a V12 engine, only to have to delay their entry a year because the V12 engines were then banned.
Old 11-01-10, 06:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Partially correct. Yamaha developed a V10 for F1 racing back in 1991. It was later on scrapped for some reason. So Yamaha had experience in developing a high-revving V10 several years before Toyota thought of it.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Actually, even before that, Yamaha had an entry into F1, which was actually Toyota saying "guys, get in there, see what this is all about, we want to be there in a couple years". They also developed a V12 engine, only to have to delay their entry a year because the V12 engines were then banned.
Old 11-01-10, 06:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I am really excited about looking for an American (since American publications would be far more impartial and more fair) comparison versus the 458 Italia of LFA.

If you read between the lines, Car And driver hinted and nicely set up a 458 Italia vs LFA comparo in the future.

However, I am really hoping it will not happen till the full production models are launched so that it is conducted on a final production model.

No one denies that, but no one should think that it's not a Lexus engine. Indeed it is. Yamaha didn't design it, come up with it, plan it or any of that. Helping with the engine is another story, but nothing states that it was a 'Yamaha engine'. That's what I'm getting at. I could care less who makes or builds it, I know it's a Lexus engine. The whole point is, the thing is an engineering marvel. Smaller, lighter in every dimension than a Toyota 3.5liter V6? That's pretty slick, Ferrari can't say that.
Old 11-01-10, 08:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Partially correct. Yamaha developed a V10 for F1 racing back in 1991. It was later on scrapped for some reason. So Yamaha had experience in developing a high-revving V10 several years before Toyota thought of it.
"They" as in Toyota developed a V12 engine. I'm totally correct, go look it up.
Old 11-01-10, 08:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
"They" as in Toyota developed a V12 engine. I'm totally correct, go look it up.
OK, I looked it up on wikipedia and it indeed was a V12. I stand corrected. I read somewhere else, it was a V10, but must be incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_OX99-11
Old 11-02-10, 12:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Those pictures are showing the first time the V10 was fired up back in 2002.

If you seriously believe that Yamaha developed the LFA's V10 simply based on the above pictures with personnel wearing Yamaha hats, then by all means you can continue to believe that .

Yes, starting from the late 80s to the mid-90s Yamaha did participate in F1. However, they did not supply engines to multiple teams as Toyota did, so they had less overall experience in the sport. Not to mention, Toyota entered the sport as a FULL constructor team, meaning they made their own car and their own engines. Toyota learned a lot about how the engine interacts with the car, and of course a lot about high-revving engines.

Yamaha initially did not even think the LFA project could be done.

We can only agree to disagree at this point and move on as it appears neither of us will change our stance on the subject.
Old 11-02-10, 05:26 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

For the v10, I believe the LFA project pulled the experts from both companies, Yamaha and Toyota/Lexus, into one team. They all worked as a team to design an build it. Reading through my books, I did not see any thing in specific in terms of who built what... except for the cabin acoustic tuning, where they had to get help from people from Yamaha concert hall building experts.
They stressed the point of that everything of this V10 was from scatch, right down to the smallest bolt. The chief engineer wanted a pure engine with as little gimmicks as possible, for example it uses the simplest VVT system and that's it. He wanted good sound, power and response from the engine while providing Lexus reliability.
Old 11-02-10, 07:16 AM
LexFather

Old 11-02-10, 07:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
For the v10, I believe the LFA project pulled the experts from both companies, Yamaha and Toyota/Lexus, into one team. They all worked as a team to design an build it. Reading through my books, I did not see any thing in specific in terms of who built what... except for the cabin acoustic tuning, where they had to get help from people from Yamaha concert hall building experts.
They stressed the point of that everything of this V10 was from scatch, right down to the smallest bolt. The chief engineer wanted a pure engine with as little gimmicks as possible, for example it uses the simplest VVT system and that's it. He wanted good sound, power and response from the engine while providing Lexus reliability.
Wikipedia FTW LoL !!!

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

1LR-GUE Engine = The Toyota LR engine is a V10 piston engine built by Toyota.

Announced in the Lexus LFA sports car, the 1LR-GUE is a 4,805 cc (293 cu in) DOHC engine. The engine is made from aluminium alloy, magnesium alloy and titanium alloy and is smaller than most V8's.

The oil and water pumps are located at the rear of the engine and the lubrication system uses a dry sump. Titanium is used for the valves and the rockers arms have a diamond like coating. Each cylinder has an independent, electronically controlled throttle body.

Keeping with traditional practice for high-performance Toyota engines, Yamaha was contracted to co-develop the 1LR-GUE.

Maximum power output is 412 kW (560 PS) at 8,700 rpm. Maximum torque is 480 N·m (354 ft·lb) at 6,800 rpm. The engine will rev to 9500 rpm, with 90% of its peak torque available from 3,700 rpm to 9,000 rpm.

Bore x Stroke (mm): 88.0 x 79.0 Compression ratio: 12.0:1 Vee angle: 72 degrees

Joe Z
Old 11-02-10, 08:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Ooooohhh!!!

nice
Old 11-02-10, 08:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, JoeZ.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Wikipedia FTW LoL !!!

Joe Z
Old 11-02-10, 02:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

What is insane is the fact that out of the million comparos Lexus has been a part of in Car&Driver, this is the first ever win for Lexus in a comparison and it beats nothing less than out of all the cars - Ferrari flagship.

How crazy is that?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)