LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 04:23 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I don't think you know what I'm talking about. You can still have downforce without suffering a lot of drag. The way the wing is shaped will help with that regardless of the angle. I know enough about racing and aerodynamics to know that if you tilt the angle of the wing slightly 'back' it will decrease drag and raise the top speed. Bu when you have a wing with little gurney flaps on the side as the LFA does, it's not going to 'hurt cornering' as much as you think. Cornering has to do a lot with downforce I'm sure, but also the center of gravity and the tires. Mechanical grip is just as important. Look at the 458, does it have a pop-up rear wing? No, yet it still has great cornering potential as well. I don't believe the 458 is making more dowforce as the LFA, but it's just an example.
You're talking about a lot of other things but the bottom line is simply that the downforce decreases as you tilt back the wing angle, so all else being the same, it will hurt the LFA in cornering speed.

BTW, the LFA corners better than the 458. It's been proven in quite a few tests, including one from your own quote. The fact that the LFA has a wing but the 458 doesn't has everything to do with it.

Last edited by Mister Two; 11-04-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 04:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TF109B
I don't think you know what I'm talking about. You can still have downforce without suffering a lot of drag. The way the wing is shaped will help with that regardless of the angle. I know enough about racing and aerodynamics to know that if you tilt the angle of the wing slightly 'back' it will decrease drag and raise the top speed. Bu when you have a wing with little gurney flaps on the side as the LFA does, it's not going to 'hurt cornering' as much as you think. Cornering has to do a lot with downforce I'm sure, but also the center of gravity and the tires. Mechanical grip is just as important. Look at the 458, does it have a pop-up rear wing? No, yet it still has great cornering potential as well. I don't believe the 458 is making more dowforce as the LFA, but it's just an example.
"The active rear wing, complete with a Gurney Flap on the trailing edge deploys according to vehicle speed."

The Gurney Flap on the LFA wing is on the Top Edge and built into the wing design..

Fully up...

Mid way....

and

When in the down position, the Flap matches the trunk line and tucks away..

Sorry, hard to get 3 pics of the same color car showing these angles.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-04-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 05:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
That's the official lines. I would not put much weight in that. I configured my car in May, but would not want it before mid 2012.

Yes they do. They just have to ask.

Regardless of the above, I still maintain that the latter LFA's should/would get improvements over the earlier units. Whether, Lexus will upgrade the earlier one is not relevant from my perspective.
well, now you say that coz' simply because lexus can't sell all lfa.

imagine if all 500 are spoken for and most people want later built. take a guess from that point
Old 11-04-10, 07:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

The SEMA LFA looks like has a more aggressive staggered wheel setup than stock. The stock wheels are a bit tucked in.

Definitely, looks like they are spacers placed in the wheels since it seem like the wheels are sitting more flush with the fender linning than stock.
Old 11-04-10, 07:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The SEMA LFA looks like has a more aggressive staggered wheel setup than stock. The stock wheels are a bit tucked in.

Definitely, looks like they are spacers placed in the wheels since it seem like the wheels are sitting more flush with the fender linning than stock.
I'm just wonder why you don't post in the CEC Wheels - SEMA LFA thread???

I will answer you in that thread..
Old 11-04-10, 07:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Done posting in the wheel thread. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm just wonder why you don't post in the CEC Wheels - SEMA LFA thread???

I will answer you in that thread..
Old 11-04-10, 07:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Done posting in the wheel thread. Thanks.
LoL - I made it worth your while, with new pics too...
Old 11-04-10, 08:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
LoL - I made it worth your while, with new pics too...
Just saw the pics. Thanks so much.
Old 11-04-10, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

since we have created a dedicated forum for lfa, let's try to deviate from this thread and create independent meaningful threads for each topic, and gradually let this thread sink.
Old 11-05-10, 08:02 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
well, now you say that coz' simply because lexus can't sell all lfa.

imagine if all 500 are spoken for and most people want later built. take a guess from that point
don't forget that i bought one of the last LFA's allocated to Canada (someone got cold feet and indirectly gave me the allocation), and I did what I did.
It's you, who's been talking about Lexus USA still have LFA's to sell. My ps guessed that they probably could have sold up to 30 LFA's in Canada if they could get the allocation.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 11-05-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 09:10 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^We could say the same for the Japan Market..... (with lack of allocations)

Joe Z
Old 11-05-10, 09:16 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. I was quite amazed at how quickly all LFA sold in Canada. By the time I looked at the web page in June, the sales process was already shut down.

They could have easily sold many more. Even a country like Australia, which is a 45% smaller market than Canada (and much more expensive) easily sold 8 LFA at close to $800,000 Australian.

don't forget that i bought one of the last LFA's allocated to Canada (someone got cold feet and indirectly gave me the allocation), and I did what I did.
It's you, who's been talking about Lexus USA still have LFA's to sell. My ps guessed that they probably could have sold up to 30 LFA's in Canada if they could get the allocation.
Old 11-05-10, 09:25 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

I tend to agree, but I also remember recently reading about a Lexus dealer getting a production allocation just for displaying inside the dealership. It really baffles me as to why Lexus would ever want to do that unless they really can't find a real buyer anywhere else. They want the LFAs to be driven and enjoyed don't they?

P.S. Anyone has the link to that story?
Old 11-05-10, 09:31 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That was the Philipines.

Apparently, the article said the LFA is so expensive over there that no one can afford it so they actually ended up selling one to a dealership, which will show case it as the Lexus halo.

Originally Posted by Mister Two
I tend to agree, but I also remember recently reading about a Lexus dealer getting a production allocation just for displaying inside the dealership. It really baffles me as to why Lexus would ever want to do that unless they really can't find a real buyer anywhere else. They want the LFAs to be driven and enjoyed don't they?

P.S. Anyone has the link to that story?
Old 11-05-10, 09:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Yeup thats right!!

To my knowledge, there are maybe only a handful to a dozen of USA allocations left...

If you don't meet the criteria, they will tell you no...

I'm sure I qualify... But I came up just a tad bit short for the $$$..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)