LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Here states all 8 for Australia are sold.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....-a-super-kind/

Launch of a super kind

Iain Curry | 18th November 2010

The Lexus LFA.
Contributed

Advertisement

LEXUS opened its new Maroochydore showroom in considerable style last weekend by showcasing the fearsome Lexus LFA supercar at its stylish new premises.
Only 500 of the 412kW V10-engined LFAs will ever be produced, with Australia being allocated just eight examples with a price tag of about $700,000. But if you want one, too late. All eight have already been sold.
Lexus of Maroochydore hosted a spectacular event over the weekend to celebrate the LFA and the dealership's official opening, with attendees witnessing the company's impressive performance car line-up.

While representatives from Lexus delivered speeches, engines in an IS 250 F Sport, IS 350 F Sport and IS F were all fired up. The LFA proved the real star however as it emerged through a cloud of smoke to be driven into the showroom with an enthusiastic throttle blip to give spectators an idea of its ferocious Formula One-inspired exhaust note.

The two-seat, two-door supercar features a carbon fibre-reinforced polymer body and carbon fibre reinforced plastic interior, giving a kerb weight of just 1480kg to go with the impressive power figure.
The result is a 0-100kmh sprint in just 3.6 seconds, with a top speed quoted at 325kmh, putting the Lexus LFA firmly on the radar of its European supercar rivals.
The car uses a six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG) transmission, and as you'd expect with a Japanese sports cars there's plenty of gadgets too. There are four selectable driving modes and seven different shift speeds.
Trick suspension using a unique double wishbone front and multi-link rear setup features, and combined with the car's ballistic performance, has been part of the reason the LFA has lapped the famous Nurburgring track in Germany in times that have rocked the established supercar world order. The LFA stayed in Maroochydore at the new Lexus dealership for a mere 36 hours, before continuing its worldwide promotional tour with the next stop in Dubai.
VITAL STATISTICS
Model: Lexus LFA
Details: Two-seat, two-door supercar with carbon fibre-reinforced polymer body
Engine: Mid-front-mounted 4.8-litre V10 generating maximum power of 412kW @ 8700 rpm and 480Nm @ 6800rpm
Transmission: Six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG)
Performance: 0-100kmh in 3.6 seconds; top speed 325kmh
Bottom line: Approximately $700,000 in Australia, but all eight cars already sold.
Old 11-27-10, 09:40 PM
LexFather

More from Australia

Nat tests $700,000 supercar

Travis Meyn | 6th November 2010

Natalie Gruzlewski takes a seat in the new Lexus LFA Supercar.
Warren Lynam

Photos

Lexus LFA Supercar

View Photo Gallery »
Advertisement

IT is the pearl of the Lexus fleet and last night the LFA Supercar was on show to the Sunshine Coast.

At the launch of Lexus’s latest showroom at Maroochydore, television personality Natalie Gruzlewski was not the only reason people were getting flustered.
The V10 speed machine, which will set you back a neat $700,000, is due to be shipped to Dubai this afternoon where it will be showcased to some of the country’s richest car enthusiasts.

The supercar has been 10 years in the making and just one of them has been sold to a Queensland resident.
“There’s only 500 of them built globally, there’s only eight coming to Australia and there’ll only ever be one coming to Queensland,” Lexus of Brisbane Group general manager Julian Mason said.
“The car is a rolling example of all of Lexus’s technology and the will to want to make a car with one mission in mind, that’s driving enjoyment.
“It’s at the upper end of luxury. It’s definitely at the very high end of the market. There are 171 of them available in the United States and they’ve all been sold as well.”
Check out Drive - the Coast's best motoring guide in the print edition of today's Sunshine Coast Daily

The carbon fibre machine can reach 100kmh in 3.7seconds and has a top speed of more than 300kmh.

The showroom on Maroochy Boule
vard is due to open soon. Mr Mason said the centre couldn’t have asked for a better car to launch the dealership.

“We’ve made a big investment on the Sunshine Coast and there’s no better drawcard than the LFA,” he said.
“It’s here for 36 hours and then it’s gone. We’re just very fortunate to one, get it to Queensland, and two, to get it to the Sunshine Coast.”
Those hoping to have a spin in the supercar had their dreams quickly shattered, with just one man allowed to get behind the wheel.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...ie-gruzlewski/
Old 11-28-10, 01:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

That is cool.

They sold 8 in Australia and yet only 10 in Canada where there are 40% more millionaires and billionaires? They need to bring some of the unsold US allocation to Canada since with a much bigger and wealthier population, they could easily sell another 10 here in Canada for a total of 20.

Also, compared to $700,000 in Australia, $400,000 in Canada seems somewhat of a bargain.
Old 11-28-10, 06:40 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how many people opted for the Nurburgring Spec package.
Old 11-28-10, 09:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

So that means Lexus has not sold all its allocations in England yet since it is still for sale?? Any news on that??

My guess is considering LFA priced at 330,000 GBP and the 599 GTO is priced at 315,000 GBP, they must be having a difficult time.
Old 11-28-10, 11:33 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

LFA World Tour, next stop Naperville, IL Thursday Dec 2nd.

For folks in the Midwest, the above mentioned info was provided via a half page ad in the Auto section of the Tribune today.

I am not even sure where Naperville is. I am more surprised that the event was not at McGrath who got the 2 original IL allocations.
Old 11-28-10, 03:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, so according to that article, Lexus of Brisbane Group general manager Julian Mason states that all 171 US allocation LFAs have been sold? Is this confirmed?

This contradicts the news some of us have heard that not all US LFAs have been sold yet.
Old 11-28-10, 07:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, if it means anything, on Japanese web sites it is only saying that Yamaha tuned the engine to sound the way Lexus wanted it, I believe they did not take part actual design phase, only fine tuned it. But that is the extent their involvement.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
More from Australia

Natalie Gruzlewski takes a seat in the new Lexus LFA Supercar.
Natalie was in my class in high school.
Old 11-28-10, 08:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Again, let's not get into this arguments. Your assumption is only marginalizing Yamaha's ingenious share in the design and development of this engine being primarily a production high-revving, 100+ HP/Liter engine producer. Again, keyword is production road-going engine. Not F1 engine. My understanding is Yamaha provides the expertise in the high-flow head to produce maximum torque at very high rpms, strong lightweight pistons and low-inertia internals to make the engine free-revving while Toyota provides the expertise on the engine block, dual-VVT-i and individual throttle bodies.

At the end of the day, Lexus put 'Yamaha motor co.' at the side of the LFA engine for a good reason, which only 3 engines total ever received in history (not sure about 2000GT). BEAMS 3S-GE and 2ZZ-GE where Yamaha's involvement was instrumental in development of the internals. Both were high-revving, both produced 100+ HP/Liter. LFA engine being the third. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I posted my 2ZZ-GE's picture with Yamaha written on the side. Here is a video of a highly modified naturally aspirated 2ZZ-GE Celica GTS. Do you see the Yamaha sport bike connection there?? I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O0o...layer_embedded

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Guys, if it means anything, on Japanese web sites it is only saying that Yamaha tuned the engine to sound the way Lexus wanted it, I believe they did not take part actual design phase, only fine tuned it. But that is the extent their involvement.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-28-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 05:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Again, let's not get into this arguments. Your assumption is only marginalizing Yamaha's ingenious share in the design and development of this engine being primarily a production high-revving, 100+ HP/Liter engine producer. Again, keyword is production road-going engine. Not F1 engine. My understanding is Yamaha provides the expertise in the high-flow head to produce maximum torque at very high rpms, strong lightweight pistons and low-inertia internals to make the engine free-revving while Toyota provides the expertise on the engine block, dual-VVT-i and individual throttle bodies.

At the end of the day, Lexus put 'Yamaha motor co.' at the side of the LFA engine for a good reason, which only 3 engines total ever received in history (not sure about 2000GT). BEAMS 3S-GE and 2ZZ-GE where Yamaha's involvement was instrumental in development of the internals. Both were high-revving, both produced 100+ HP/Liter. LFA engine being the third. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I posted my 2ZZ-GE's picture with Yamaha written on the side. Here is a video of a highly modified naturally aspirated 2ZZ-GE Celica GTS. Do you see the Yamaha sport bike connection there?? I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O0o...layer_embedded
You are the only one arguing.
Old 11-29-10, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

Thats code for he hit it.
Old 11-29-10, 11:29 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

I see the Australian LFA is rocking the unpainted carbon fiber spoiler and roof. Looks really good.
Old 11-29-10, 11:42 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
... My understanding is Yamaha provides the expertise in the high-flow head to produce maximum torque at very high rpms, strong lightweight pistons and low-inertia internals to make the engine free-revving while Toyota provides the expertise on the engine block, dual-VVT-i and individual throttle bodies...
I believe all internals are designed and built from scratch by the team. One of the quotes from the LFA book was they found the titanium connecting rods were getting deformed under heavy loads, so they had to find a solution for that. Also, it's stated that the V10 has only simple VVT and individual throttle bodies.
One of the main constrains in building this engine is the compactness of the packaging. The team wanted to keep the engine as small as possible so that the car can have a low centre of gravity. The result as we know it, a V10 that is smaller than most V8's. I think Yamaha's expertises are useful, but the team still had to make many innovations to achieve the end result.
The point I am trying to make here is the LFA's V10 came from the work of the LFA teams that consist of both Yamaha and Toyota engineers.
Old 11-29-10, 11:52 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I believe all internals are designed and built from scratch by the team. One of the quotes from the LFA book was they found the titanium connecting rods were getting deformed under heavy loads, so they had to find a solution for that. Also, it's stated that the V10 has only simple VVT and individual throttle bodies.
One of the main constrains in building this engine is the compactness of the packaging. The team wanted to keep the engine as small as possible so that the car can have a low centre of gravity. The result as we know it, a V10 that is smaller than most V8's. I think Yamaha's expertises are useful, but the team still had to make many innovations to achieve the end result.
The point I am trying to make here is the LFA's V10 came from the work of the LFA teams that consist of both Yamaha and Toyota engineers.
Does the book mention exact dimensions and a service weight for the 1LR?
Old 11-29-10, 01:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well we already have some rough dimensions based off of what Toyota has said about it (dimensionally smaller than the 2GR, IIRC).

As for weight, I remember reading somewhere a technical document that the dry weight of the engine is under 400 lbs.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)