LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 02:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I believe all internals are designed and built from scratch by the team. One of the quotes from the LFA book was they found the titanium connecting rods were getting deformed under heavy loads, so they had to find a solution for that. Also, it's stated that the V10 has only simple VVT and individual throttle bodies.

In my opinion, you oversimplified the issues here. I had stated Toyota's expertise was mostly in the area of the engine block, dual VVT-i and individual throttle bodies.

The team you are talking about consisted of engineers from Toyota and Yamaha as well. There was mix of Engineers from both companies. If you look up the history of the 2000 GT, you will see it is well documented Yamaha played an integral role in development of the engine head and worked side by side with Toyota engineers.

I think most people don't understand the philosophical difference between a high-revving engine and a regular engine with a 6600 - 6800 rpm redline and that it takes decades to master building a great high-revving engine that can function without any problems for very long periods of time while being well-rounded for street use as well.

The high-revving engineering philosophy is radically different from a standard low-revving engine primarily because of these factors that make it extremely difficult:

- Handling extreme centrifugal forces that are involved at 9000+ rpm.

- Creating lightweight internals to allow free-revving nature of the engine and reduce internal inertia to the minimum.

- Creating lightweight frictionless pistons, valves etc. in order to prevent wear and tear at piston speeds faster than F1 cars.

- Allowing engine to rev up to 9000+ rpm without harshness, vibration.

- Creating a high-flow head prevents the torque curve to fall on its face after 6000 rpm especially retaining most of the torque at 9000+ rpm.

- All of these things while keeping it completely reliable, durable and trouble free.

For a motor that does not undego a rebuild after every run, all of these things make it a completely different ballgame to create a high-revving engine that can operate continuously at 9000 + rpm for extended periods of time. Toyota makes great production engines, but 99% of the engines Toyota ever built in 60 years on its own never had a redliner higher than 6800 rpm so Toyota never had to worry about the things I stated above.

That is where I firmly believe Yamaha comes in since Yamaha's bread and butter is studying and implementing the science and engineering of all of these things for decades since it is the life of their business. Their expertise has been invaluable to Lexus in this area during development of the LFA.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-29-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 05:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Several LFAs all at the same place, same time.

Does someone know if they are still prototypes or actually first batch production models???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8IsWzrkmAc
Old 11-29-10, 06:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rolla, Toyota designed and made their own F1 car, and engine. The knowledge gained from that could easily have been put forward to their LFA project. It's not uncommon for Toyota to use Yamaha for things. But I wouldn't say that Yamaha was the main culprit for the engine. That was all Toyota. I've heard that they had their F1 team look after parts of the LFA design as well, and not just engine. Carbon fiber technology I'm assuming was helped by their F1 teams knowledge as well. Before they made their F1 car, Toyota used another source for their carbon fiber in their LeMans project, the TS020. Now I'm pretty sure that they make their own, obviously they did with the LFA. Nice video too.
Old 11-30-10, 07:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like a track event for professional race car drivers all duking it out in the LFAs. Notice the Bridgestone stickers everywhere on the cars.

The safety car is what looks like a BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayEE...layer_embedded
Old 11-30-10, 08:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, fleets of LFAs running around now !

The safety car is a modded IS F by the way, not an M3. Fuji Speedway mainly uses IS F models as safety cars.
Old 11-30-10, 08:37 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I paused it and it is indeed an IS-F. My eyes must be deceiving me.

Somehow it looked like an M3 due to modified look to the M3 GT2 race car (vents on the side of the rear bumper), but definitely IS-F makes the most logical sense.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

The safety car is a modded IS F by the way, not an M3. Fuji Speedway mainly uses IS F models as safety cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-30-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-30-10, 12:13 PM
LexFather

That video is nuts!!! LOVE IT
Old 11-30-10, 12:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

It's not just a modded IS F, it looks like the ISF DTM concept that came out around 2007.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Looks like a track event for professional race car drivers all duking it out in the LFAs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayEE...layer_embedded
F My Life.
Old 11-30-10, 01:00 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Five LFAs at one event: white, black, grey, red, and yellow. That is a value of almost $2 million right there. Exactly how many LFAs are in the world right now? I've lost count.
Old 11-30-10, 02:34 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Five LFAs at one event: white, black, grey, red, and yellow. That is a value of almost $2 million right there. Exactly how many LFAs are in the world right now? I've lost count.
5 reasons why life is unfair. lol.

I'm guessing at least 9, if the yellow and grey ones aren't from the US.
Old 11-30-10, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Is that the orange IS F with the carbon fiber shown at car shows? Looks like it.
Old 11-30-10, 04:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you hear the engine? That's not the noise of a 'regular' IS-F. That's a race engine. You could tell how low the car was that it's definitely a race car. I'm assuming it's a SuperGT car or it's the IS-F that was made as a test bed for DTM. I'm betting they'll use it if SuperGT combines with DTM, which is rumored to happen in the next few years.
Old 11-30-10, 05:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, correction, that does in fact look like the IS F DTM prototype running as a safety car.

The video is just pure symphony, and the event itself a dream. At least FIVE LFAs present at the same time, AND a very special IS F prototype safety car.
Old 11-30-10, 05:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

A video showed the yellow prototype in US says "014" on the badge just behind the seats. I would say atleast 14 prototypes are there so far. Possibly more.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
5 reasons why life is unfair. lol.

I'm guessing at least 9, if the yellow and grey ones aren't from the US.
Old 11-30-10, 05:55 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, correction, that does in fact look like the IS F DTM prototype running as a safety car.

The video is just pure symphony, and the event itself a dream. At least FIVE LFAs present at the same time, AND a very special IS F prototype safety car.
That vid was LFING-A great, str8 car ****! The noise that one LFA makes is amazing but 5 @ one time........there is no word to describe it.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)