LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 11:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Sorry. My bad.

When I said Pirelli Corsa, I intended to say Pirelli P Zero tires. Corsa are ofcourse, R-compounds. So are Michelin Pilot Cup + tires. I was intending to talk about PS2 and P Zero tires.

Originally Posted by BNR34
Post #3376 from you:

Post #3381 from you:
Old 12-20-10, 04:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, regardless, the S001's the LFA's were wearing have not been as good as the tires of the other cars in comparison tests. Yet I seem to remember around the ring that the LFA has been holding cornering G's considerably higher than most other cars, and even on par with that of the 458 Italia, despite all it's electro doo-dads. I think it's funny that Ferrari makes a car and has all this and that and it's wonderful, but say Nissan or some other Japanese company puts it in their cars to help with grip and it's called too techy? Maybe Ferrari does their computers right? Or maybe it's just because it's a ferrari it's ok? I think it's the latter on most cases. That's sad to me though, just because it's Ferrari doesn't mean they should be able to get praises where others do the same thing but get sour notes. They say the GTR is video gamey and things like that, but Ferrari's electronics are seemingly so great? I donno about all that. Not that I've driven a Ferrari though, so I guess I wouldn't know first hand. Does the LFA have this 'problem'? Will it? What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-10, 06:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I do believe inherently, compared to 458, LFA has a more rigid chassis as well as the suspension is much more focused for track racing compared to 458 Italia. Also, my guess is LFA's tires compared to what 458 Italia wears are somewhat limit on the track as well (again, only my personal belief). The V10 response already has earned so many praises that Evo magazine said only Carrera GT comes close. The 458 Italia has some exceptional electronic nannies that make it very easy to push it to the absolute limits while LFA requires far more "learning" to get there.

Regarding GTR, I do see the point Ferrari is making. GTR is inherently not a sports car by any stretch. It is more of a GT car that is compelled to perform like a super car.

The proof is in how it is constructed. GTR is huge as hell with a wheelbase that is only exceeded by Nissan trucks in Nissan line-up, if you seen it on the road. It is heavy as hell weighing close to 4000 lbs. The chassis balance is not super-car like at all with about 55% of the weight pinned to the radiator and also its steady state behavior tends to lean towards heavy understeer when pushed in corners. Evo magazine complained about the suspenion a lot saying even the newly updated GTR's suspension is not dynamic enough.

The saving grace that allowed Nissan to make it put down performance numbers that rival some supercars is the ATTESSA AWD system. Nissan through decades of development of ATTESSA AWD system in the R32 - R34 GTR has mastered how to overcome deficiencies in the chassis, balance and weight through giving it a masterfully developed AWD system.

Case in point, if you take out the electronic gizmos like AWD system, TC etc, GTR will not perform anywhere even in the same ballpark. That is what I believe Ferrari is point towards.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Well, regardless, the S001's the LFA's were wearing have not been as good as the tires of the other cars in comparison tests. Yet I seem to remember around the ring that the LFA has been holding cornering G's considerably higher than most other cars, and even on par with that of the 458 Italia, despite all it's electro doo-dads. I think it's funny that Ferrari makes a car and has all this and that and it's wonderful, but say Nissan or some other Japanese company puts it in their cars to help with grip and it's called too techy? Maybe Ferrari does their computers right? Or maybe it's just because it's a ferrari it's ok? I think it's the latter on most cases. That's sad to me though, just because it's Ferrari doesn't mean they should be able to get praises where others do the same thing but get sour notes. They say the GTR is video gamey and things like that, but Ferrari's electronics are seemingly so great? I donno about all that. Not that I've driven a Ferrari though, so I guess I wouldn't know first hand. Does the LFA have this 'problem'? Will it? What do you guys think?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-20-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 08:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some new pictures of the LFA with the "shiny" rim option:

So far I wasn't really a fan of these shiny rims, but I must say they look pretty good in these pictures. I would still choose the dark rims if given a choice however.
Old 12-20-10, 08:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Look S001s...

I still like the dark graphite wheel as it serves 2 purposes. First, it captures the signature "F" look that the IS F has established with the dark graphite wheels. Second, it hides brake dust better.
Old 12-21-10, 10:00 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Finally, some nice close up shots of the "Buff Polish Finish" wheel option...

***No surprise w/ S001 tires installed...

I agree, that the "Dark Premium Metallic Coating" wheel finish, by far looks the best on the LFA's.

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Love the Video Mike!!!!

Chrome is NOT allowed on the LFA.. EVER...!!!

The wheel only comes in 3 Finishes.

The one in this video is what Lexus calls: "Buff Polish Finish"
- probably done by hand..

The other two colors are:

"Dark Premium Metallic Coating"

&

"Light Premium Metallic Coating"

Joe Z
Old 12-21-10, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think i prefer the normal silver ones
Old 12-21-10, 12:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I'll post this here and in the video thread, I'm not sure what this is, but my bet is its a plastic cover on the LFA, but the video isn't of enough quality to make it a definite. But a two-tone LFA would look good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjfXW0t1pk
Old 12-21-10, 01:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ That most definitely looks like one of the 1st deliveries of RHD LFA being dropped off at a Lexus dealership...

That is white plastic paint protection for sure...

MY guess is in Japan!!!

Nice Find

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-21-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 02:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah looks like normal plastic protection on new cars
Old 12-21-10, 02:45 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice find! I agree about the plastic protection. Also whoever shot that vid climbed up on something to get that good camera angle
Old 12-21-10, 03:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by TripleL
Nice find! I agree about the plastic protection. Also whoever shot that vid climbed up on something to get that good camera angle
Yeup!!!

They are standing on a wall with a fence attached to it....

Joe Z
Old 12-22-10, 12:11 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Do they cover just certain areas in plastic? I see the fuel door not covered, the headlights not covered. When I saw that it confused me as to thinking this could be a two tone LFA because it was the same on both sides (you see it's cut perfectly above the fuel door on the left side).
Old 12-22-10, 10:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TF109B
Do they cover just certain areas in plastic? I see the fuel door not covered, the headlights not covered. When I saw that it confused me as to thinking this could be a two tone LFA because it was the same on both sides (you see it's cut perfectly above the fuel door on the left side).
YEs, that is correct.. Just certain areas....

See my example!!

... and yes I drove it home this way back in 2007. !!

Joe Z
Old 12-25-10, 08:28 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dealer's detail dept cleaned up the LFA show car last week, recently re-painted again, in its 4th color... (WHITE-BLACK-YELLOW-GREY now)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0894540&ref=mf

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)