LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 04:26 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we'll all agree on that.
Old 01-06-11, 05:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

TommyJames,

Is it really that depressing to think of a scenario where Lexus has sold all 500 LFA's compared to other exotic brands considering these times as 'slow'? It seems like you can't let that go. I don't understand why it is impossible for the LFA to have buyers because your social group doesn't talk about it. As of now, none of us know the truth as there are no official statements. We do know production has started and we will see LFA's start to roll out. I am just glad the Lexus community has an LFA to enjoy and really wished my timing was better so I could've purchased one one.
Old 01-06-11, 05:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
TommyJames,

Is it really that depressing to think of a scenario where Lexus has sold all 500 LFA's compared to other exotic brands considering these times as 'slow'? It seems like you can't let that go. I don't understand why it is impossible for the LFA to have buyers because your social group doesn't talk about it. As of now, none of us know the truth as there are no official statements. We do know production has started and we will see LFA's start to roll out. I am just glad the Lexus community has an LFA to enjoy and really wished my timing was better so I could've purchased one one.
to be exact, i think his point is he doesn't think lexus sells that many (in the 150 range) lfa here in the US
Old 01-06-11, 09:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be exact, i think his point is he doesn't think lexus sells that many (in the 150 range) lfa here in the US
We don't have enough solid facts to prove or disprove this statement. The very first production LFAs start arriving in customer hands at the end of this month, so we will eventually find out how many were sold in the US.
Old 01-06-11, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
We don't have enough solid facts to prove or disprove this statement. The very first production LFAs start arriving in customer hands at the end of this month, so we will eventually find out how many were sold in the US.
absolutely. just like everyone here, it's just been a topic of discussion
Old 01-07-11, 04:31 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks. That is exactly my point.

2 LP640 in all of Canada does not sound right at all. I have seen atleast 5 - 6 different Murcielago LP640-4 in Calgary alone at different times with Alberta plates (an emerald metallic, a yellow targa one, a white one, a black one and a blue one). That is Calgary alone without considering the bigger markets like Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto. There were a total of 3 Enzo Ferrari sold in Canada for over $1 million apiece. I know in Canada the total number of Porsche Carrera GT sold were well over 20 and they were far more expensive than LFA ($500K).

Anyway, I rationalized earlier, if Lexus could sell 8 LFAs for over $800K apiece in Australia, considering the population difference (21 million vs 35 million), price of around $400K CAD and presence of 45% more millionaires and billionaires, they could have easily sold another 10 - 15 easily for a total of 20 - 25, if not more.
I didn't say two LP640s, I said two SVs. Again, you're quoting sales from a peak period, not the current market.
Old 01-07-11, 04:39 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interesting insight. Do you think though that demand might be low in the US but higher elsewhere, China, Brazil, Middle East, Russia etc? Or do these owners usually do similar moves even if they are on different continents?
Yes, demand seems to be higher for exotics in other countries. All of the SVs sold out, but China was the big market. Same with the middle east. I have no idea how the LFA will do in other markets. My doubts are with the US market based on current buying trends for exotics. If the market roars back, then yea, exotics will pick up, including the LFA, but for now, I don't think that market will get hot again until 2012-2013.
Old 01-07-11, 05:01 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think he meant 2 SVs, not regular LP640s.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree.

Exactly as 07grIS350 has pointed out, he has never owned an exotic before, but yet he can easily afford an exotic. The LFA will be his first exotic car, and he believes there are many others like him out there. I totally agree with him.

Why is the LFA different? It's very simple, because it's not a car coming from a "showoff" brand and it's also not a car coming from a brand that's known for reliability problems. Almost every single established exotic brand is known as a "showoff" brand and also known for reliability issues. I can't think of a single exotic right now that has a stellar reliability record, or comes from a brand that's not a showoff.

Having a true exotic supercar from a non-showoff brand and from a brand renowned for reliability is a brand new occurrence for the exotic market.

With all due respect, I think it doesn't make sense to you because you are part of the "regular exotic" market, which Lexus wasn't really aiming for that much with the LFA.

Also in terms of "demand", Porsche claims to have well over 1,000 letters of intent to buy their 918 Spyder concept which would sticker for over 500K USD. I think there are buyers out there willing to pay for exotics even in this market, but they're very specific about which exotics they want, and that does not seem to include a lot of the "established" exotic brands.
EVERY brand has claimed higher demand for their cars than actual. It's a huge part of the game, even Porsche plays it. Lamborghini is doing it too with the new LP700. There is no reason to make those claims other than to get people on the fence to move towards the brand.

As for "show-off brand", what a term! You're projecting yourself on the brand, not why people actually buy exotics, which are a lot of reasons. If I filled a room with exotic owners, none of us would have a clue why they were all there and what they had in common. Some are very shy, reserved people, yet they love their exotic. They come from all backgrounds, shapes and sizes and all they have in common is that they like cars. I have and own all different types of cars, some overstated, some under and forever someone comes alone such as yourself who then tries to define who I am and my reasons for picking a brand. I could never stereotype an LFA buyer because first I don't know any and second, I think it will be the same thing, people from all different backgrounds and interests who just love the LFA because it does something for them. This is why we can have big exotic events and everyone show up and gets along, regardless of financial status and type of car they drive. We don't project who we think people are based on the car they drive as it says absolutely nothing. Besides, what you think is "show-off" is practical transportation for others.

People buy all styles of watches, wear all different styles of clothing and change that style every day. Cars are no different.

On top of all this, you don't think the LFA is flashy? What about the SLR?

I think you'd be surprised what triggers some people to buy exotics. Sometimes it's nothing more than the darn seat! I'm not kidding. I have people who tell me they picked a particular car because of how the seat felt to them. Others love the sound, the looks, the way the car feels through the steering wheel. I LOVED my LP640 roadster because of the sound the engine made over the engine cover (not exhaust note which was also nice) but the sounds the engine made.

As for reliability, these are not daily drivers and I'll bet every single LFA owner will own more than one car. For that reason, reliability is not exactly the same priority as daily drives.

Bottom line, if everything you said was true about the LFA, then why is it still for sale?
Old 01-07-11, 05:03 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
TommyJames,

If they sell all 500 great! I didn't come into this discussion to talk about anything other than the state of the MARKET as apposed to the state of Lexus. Two different things.
Old 01-07-11, 05:07 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Guys, I'm at CES so it's hard for me to stay in the discussion in real time so I'm sorry if I can't be here to respond right away. Bottom line, we'd all like to see the LFA sell out. That's a good thing for all exotics. Anytime an exotic hits the market and doesn't sell it puts pressure on ALL exotics because customers do weight depreciation against all other brands. ALL I'm saying is that the reason the LFA hasn't sold out in the US, I believe is because of the market for ALL exotics, not just the LFA. Please don't read more than that into what I'm writing. Oh, and I do think Lexus has made big mistakes in how they interface with actual buyers.
Old 01-07-11, 09:45 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

For folks in SoCal, the yellow LFA just made an appearance on Good Day LA on FOX11. Also had a R8 convertible. R8 was revved first then the LFA. LFA definitely beat the R8 in terms of sound.

link to video
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_...-gdla-20110107
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by LexusMan77; 01-07-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 04:29 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames

People buy all styles of watches, wear all different styles of clothing and change that style every day. Cars are no different.

On top of all this, you don't think the LFA is flashy? What about the SLR?

I think you'd be surprised what triggers some people to buy exotics. Sometimes it's nothing more than the darn seat! I'm not kidding. I have people who tell me they picked a particular car because of how the seat felt to them. Others love the sound, the looks, the way the car feels through the steering wheel. I LOVED my LP640 roadster because of the sound the engine made over the engine cover (not exhaust note which was also nice) but the sounds the engine made.
Too true! I have quite a few friends who buy a particular exotic for unexplainable reasons.
Old 01-07-11, 05:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Too true! I have quite a few friends who buy a particular exotic for unexplainable reasons.
dave you are back! we thought you were too pissed of lexus!!!
Old 01-07-11, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Dave!
Old 01-07-11, 08:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Well, as we know LFA beats R8 V10 in everything by a boatload margin (as would be expected by a much more expensive car).

The guy was saying "only 20 of these left" so that means LFA has sold 150 out of 170 of the US allocations.

However, I LOL'ed when the guy called the R8 V10 a 4.7 Liter when it actually is a 5.2 Liter V10.

It was funny to see the presenter lady get annoyed by the R8 V10 sound and said "it is too loud for me" and she goes "OMG!!!! that is insane" when she heard the Lexus LFA.

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
For folks in SoCal, the yellow LFA just made an appearance on Good Day LA on FOX11. Also had a R8 convertible. R8 was revved first then the LFA. LFA definitely beat the R8 in terms of sound.

link to video
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_...-gdla-20110107

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-07-11 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)