LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 04:26 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The LFA is an amazing car and an engineering marvel with its carbon fiber body, 550+ hp, and 200+ mph top speed, but like most Japanese cars it is plane jane compared to its competition. I don't care that only 500 will be made, I think 360k for this car when its the very very very very first vehicle of this kind that Lexus has ever developed and it doesn't have the visual excitement of a Ferrari, Lambo, or even a 911 GT3, is insane. We have seen many supercars in the past that fell to the same trap. To expensive, unknown, and just not sexy enough.

I would still bet the GTR will kick its *** on a track with some very minor mods ( ECU retune and exhaust) and is still far far less exspensive
Who cares what the GTR can do modified, a civic could beat a GTR modified... What is you point?

Unknown? Yeah you could say that about a new supercar maker when they are not know in the automotive circles for their cars in the mainstream. But you are talking about a car company that has more than enough experience in the automotive industry and created a brand that is luxurious and reliable, not to mention their racing history as well. The GTR has not one ounce of class compared to the LFA, not to mention the fact that you must own one of these if you think the styling is dull...

Last edited by rominl; 10-29-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 04:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
another gtr talk? please... give me a break..... just go get the gtr already

ryan, i can't wait for the true hot lap videos, i want to see what the can really do

Yup. Enough of the GTR references already. The GTR is no where near the class or demographic of the LFA plain and simple.

The video doesn't really do justice like being in the car experiencing the sounds and the sensations of the LFA. I wish I had a cam centered on the speedo while one camera is positioned outward.
Old 10-29-09, 04:59 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's is one of the videos I recently uploaded. I am working on a few others. I need to change the format/compression settings so the speedo is legible. Just crank up the volume and listen to the v10 roar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyPRGrkcdc
Flipside, thanks for the video, all the pictures and your personal impressions of the LFA!

You're awesome man.
Old 10-29-09, 05:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LFA stuff is hot, and hot off the press thanks to Flipside. Thanks.
Old 10-29-09, 06:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Turning Circle and Turning Radius ......

are people confusing between the two here ?

I have seen, for example, the LS460L's turning circle listed as 37.4 feet, and the turning radius of the LS460L listed as 5.7 meters(=18.7 feet), ie. half of the turning circle.

Turning Radius :

http://www.lexus-mideast.com/ls/spec.html

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-LS+460-2009/specs

Turning Circle :

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/detai...fications.html

Old 10-29-09, 07:53 PM
LexFather

FORGET the damn GT-R. Why don't we all drive Ultima GT-Rs or modded Civics with LS3 swaps????? The GT-R is built on the same assembly line as Skylines and US bound G37s. Its a fantastic car. Its not bespoke.

On the assembly line itself, GTR’s are interspersed randomly among Skyline coupes, sedans, and US bound G35’s and G37’s with about six meters of space between them. Robots do most of the heavy lifting, as the line is 83% automated.

If you look that is a Skyline in front and behind it.
Old 10-29-09, 08:08 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

VIDEO: Weaving the Lexus LFA's carbon fiber A-pillar is mesmerizing

damn crazy looking weaving!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/29/v...iber-a-pillar/
Old 10-29-09, 08:58 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Toyota weaves the Carbon fiber A-pillar ...VIDEO

OOps didn't see another member posted this before me , please disregard

Cool to a point

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/29/v...iber-a-pillar/
Old 10-29-09, 09:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have been watching the LFA reveal video on repeat a bit lately and while I was doing so tonight something dawned on me.

F was born just two years ago and there are plenty of haters out there, and understandably so. While some people truly don't like the IS F, several others are honestly threatened by the prospect of a Japanese super sport sedan. AMG, M, and RS have years of heritage spanning several different models and generations, many of which we all consider to be very close to automotive perfection, and here comes Lexus with their first model that competes very favorably with all of them. When you sit here and think about what AMG means or consider the philosophy behind an M car, there is really a lot riding on those letters. It represents a lot and to thousands of people it means a lot too.

Think about the fact that in one fair swoop Lexus pretty much just kicked all of them into the rear view mirror. All the years of heritage, hand made engines, and history... and they cannot match what Lexus has just done with the LFA. Out of the box they created a car that can tackle a Lamborghini or Ferrari when AMG and (especially) M have yet to produce something that can do the same.

I am not saying that from a fanboy aspect because I love AMGs, Ms, and RSs and respect what they stand for. However, the LFA takes the heritage card and flushes it down the toilet. There is no more, "The Japanese don't know how to build high performance cars," or "They can't build anything as good as the SL Black Series or M5." They just built a car that is more advanced, more sophisticated, and more performance oriented than anything that the German performance brands have come up with, even considering their years of history and all of their credentials.

That is really something to consider...
Old 10-29-09, 11:30 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Since we're on the subject here are two pics I took of the carbon fiber. The second one is a close up of the weave on the roof rail. It looked very nice.

Old 10-30-09, 12:11 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Neat pics, thanks for posting! I wish I could visit the LFA exhibit at Tokyo. Hopefully some of those panels will be saved for the Lexus International Gallery there or Lexus Megaweb exhibit.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have been watching the LFA reveal video on repeat a bit lately and while I was doing so tonight something dawned on me.

F was born just two years ago and there are plenty of haters out there, and understandably so. While some people truly don't like the IS F, several others are honestly threatened by the prospect of a Japanese super sport sedan. AMG, M, and RS have years of heritage spanning several different models and generations, many of which we all consider to be very close to automotive perfection, and here comes Lexus with their first model that competes very favorably with all of them. When you sit here and think about what AMG means or consider the philosophy behind an M car, there is really a lot riding on those letters. It represents a lot and to thousands of people it means a lot too.

Think about the fact that in one fair swoop Lexus pretty much just kicked all of them into the rear view mirror. All the years of heritage, hand made engines, and history... and they cannot match what Lexus has just done with the LFA. Out of the box they created a car that can tackle a Lamborghini or Ferrari when AMG and (especially) M have yet to produce something that can do the same.

I am not saying that from a fanboy aspect because I love AMGs, Ms, and RSs and respect what they stand for. However, the LFA takes the heritage card and flushes it down the toilet. There is no more, "The Japanese don't know how to build high performance cars," or "They can't build anything as good as the SL Black Series or M5." They just built a car that is more advanced, more sophisticated, and more performance oriented than anything that the German performance brands have come up with, even considering their years of history and all of their credentials.

Indeed. Today on the highway near downtown LA I was behind an M Roadster for quite a bit, with an M-etcetc vanity plate. I was reflecting on how the ///M logo added something special to the car, that made the standard roundel seem more unique. More than the LFA itself as a halo car, the F-division has the potential to take Lexus cars to the next level...which is why another F model, either GS-F or SC-F, is absolutely needed to build on the successful entrance of the IS-F (despite what some posters on other boards seem to think, it has been critically well-accepted and the sales reports have been fairly positive), and now the LFA stratosphere-rocket (truly the rarest and also most scifi-like).

It also does show that Lexus' engineering capabilities and resources can match and potentially exceed those of its Bavarian rivals, when it comes to supercar performance technologies...having studied the advanced tech that TMC has come out with, from the brake-by-wire to transmissions etc., I'm fairly convinced they have the capabilities, just it's been the bean-counters that have sometimes held them back from using it, all in the name of cost-effectiveness. With Lexus and the F-division I think they have found a way to show this tech off and apply it for very competitive performance vehicles.
Old 10-30-09, 01:14 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

yes, there absolutely needs to be a new gen sc-f, hopefully a downsized lfa. maybe even drop a couple cylinders. itll be far more important than what the lfa will do.
Old 10-30-09, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good points to consider, with a couple of adders (IMO):

1. LFA is not on showroom floors yet, but once Lexus delivers..............

2. Regarding Lexus and its lack of history and heritage, Lexus broke through that barrier years ago in the premium lux car business and Mercedes and BMW know it all too well.
Old 11-02-09, 06:01 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

The LFA looks cool, but for $350k...IMHO, it better perform like $350k.
Old 11-02-09, 11:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
are people confusing between the two here ?

I have seen, for example, the LS460L's turning circle listed as 37.4 feet, and the turning radius of the LS460L listed as 5.7 meters(=18.7 feet), ie. half of the turning circle.

Turning Radius :

http://www.lexus-mideast.com/ls/spec.html

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-LS+460-2009/specs

Turning Circle :

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/detai...fications.html

A few points:

- "turning circle" and "turning radius" are often interchangeable terms.
- "turning radius" is a misleading term in itself, because the size of a circle is the diameter, not the radius
- several sites and publications often publish "turning radius" when they really mean turning circle
- the links you provided don't make that much sense
- the Middle East Lexus site specs make sense, but the AOL link does not match official listed Lexus specs
- if the worldwide Lexus LFA site is in-fact listing the actual radius, rather than turning circle that is very odd. Most automakers do not publish the actual turning radius because frankly that is quite a useless piece of information. The actual turning circle is much more useful
- assuming the LFA site lists the actual radius, then the turning circle for the LFA would be 39.3 feet
- that would still be a smaller turning circle than many supercars
- the specs on the LFA site continue to be changed and updated, so we shall have to wait for the production car to come out to see final specs

Some good points .

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)